On Sun, Apr 19, 2015 at 05:37:21PM +0200, Stephan Mueller wrote:

> I am not sure I understand you correctly: shall the DRBG have these
> precautions? If so, wouldn't we break the requirements in SP800-90A where the
> DRBG is intended to seed itself?
>
> Or would you want to update the crypto_alloc_rng routine?

No.  Our API doesn't provide the Instantiate_function obviously.
If you really want to have an explicit instantiate function then
you can provide a wrapper:

crypto_instantiate_drbg(...)
{
        struct crypto_rng *drbg;

        drbg = crypto_alloc_rng(...);
        crypto_rng_reset(drbg, ...);
        return drbg;
}

The fact that crypto_alloc_rng currently instantiates the RNG
is wrong because there is no provision for the personalisation
string.

Cheers,
--
Email: Herbert Xu <herb...@gondor.apana.org.au>