Am Sonntag, 2. August 2015, 21:16:47 schrieb Marcel Holtmann:

Hi Marcel,

>Hi Tadeusz,
>
>I have been working with the AF_ALG patches for akcipher lately and I find
>the RSA set key function way too limited. Especially the fact that it uses a
>format that I can not find a single reference / standard for worries me.
>
>RsaKey ::= SEQUENCE {
>        n INTEGER ({ rsa_get_n }),
>        e INTEGER ({ rsa_get_e }),
>        d INTEGER ({ rsa_get_d })
>}

Note, the kernel uses BER encoding.

>So where is this format coming from? I can find the RSA Public Key format
>which is a sequence of n and e. If you have a DER encoded RSA public key,
>then you can use it to encrypt and verify. So that is okay.
>
>However if you have a standard Public Key that OpenSSL would create by
>default, then things do not work since that is actually a more complicated
>DER encoded format. However in the end, I would expect that we could also
>load such a key here. The RSA set key function should auto detect it and
>extract the right information if it is marked as rsaEncryption type.

Do you propose to add a DER parser to the kernel? I feel that the BER parser
is complex enough. If somebody has a DER key, user space should have the code
to convert it to BER.

>My biggest concern however is that this does not reassemble the RSA Private
>Key at all. That key format is a sequence of 9 integers starting with a
>version. So logically I would expect that I can just set a RSA Private Key
>and then utilize the encrypt and decrypt features of the RSA cipher.

Why do you think this is not possible? testmgr.h seems to exactly do that.

>When it comes to exposing RSA via AF_ALG and akcipher, I really want standard
>format for the set key operation. Asking userspace to construct this Linux
>kernel only key format is not helpful. You want to be able to just load the
>RSA Private Key in DER format and be done with it.

I am all for it. BER is a standard, is it not? Yes, I have not yet seen a
converter for DER to BER (and I have not searched for one either). But I feel
DER should be left to user space.

>Any ideas on how we can fix this to allow a sensible userspace API?

I actually planned to add a BER encoder to my libkcapi. I feel that should be
right place to provide that code, including a potential DER to BER converter.

Ciao
Stephan