On Fri, Dec 01, 2017 at 09:11:57AM +0100, Antoine Tenart wrote:

> I agree this should not be the case.
>
> But:
> - Other drivers are doing this check (grep "if (!req->result)" or
>   "if (req->result)" to see some of them).
> - I see at least one commit fixing the exact same issue I'm facing here,
>   393897c5156a415533ff85aa381458840417b032:
>
>     crypto: ccp - Check for caller result area before using it
>
>     For a hash operation, the caller doesn't have to supply a result
>     area on every call so don't use it / update it if it hasn't
>     been supplied.
>
> I'm not entirely sure what was the code path that leads to this, I'll
> reproduce the issue and try to understand what is going on (I clearly
> recall having this crash though).

That's different.  In that case an unconditional copy is made
regardless of whether the operation is final or update.  That's
why a check is required.

If the operation is finup/final/digest then req->result must be
set and you don't need to check it.

Cheers,
--
Email: Herbert Xu <herb...@gondor.apana.org.au>