Linux-Development-Sys Digest #202, Volume #6      Sat, 2 Jan 99 05:14:36 EST

Contents:
  Re: Registry for Linux - Bad idea (Alex Yung)
  Re: measure time in milli or micro sec accuracy (Richard Jones)
  Problems booting kernel 2.0.36 ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Why I'm dumping Linux, going back to Windblows ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: rewrittable CD (Leslie Mikesell)
  Re: Switching Display Depth on the fly (Peter Samuelson)
  Re: Some thoughts on Microsofts options against Linux (Robert Kaiser)
  Re: CDROM Warning:  (don't try this) (Walter Lundby)
  Re: Communication with Modem (Carlos Vidal)
  Re: silly question ("D. Stimits")
  VB Converter? ("Stephen")
  Re: lp0 on fire in 2.1.131 (Peter Pointner)
  Re: measure time in milli or micro sec accuracy (Martin Recktenwald)
  Re: Interesting (and surprising) way to crash X ("John L. Masson")
  Re: engineering practices in Linux/OSS (James Youngman)
  Re: Possible to mount a initrd.img file directly (w/o gunzipping first) ? (Jeremy
Mathers)
  Re: XFree86 mode's for laptop LCD displays? (gilley)
  Re: SMB_MOUNT_VERSION (Tony Hoyle)
  Re: SMB_MOUNT_VERSION (Sam Steingold)
  Re: Linux Process Limit (Scott Taylor)
  Re: Kernel-2.2-pre2 ("Ulrich Küttler")

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Alex Yung)
Subject: Re: Registry for Linux - Bad idea
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1999 07:23:55 GMT

org.au> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Todd Ostermeier ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: On Tue, 15 Dec 1998, Richard RUDEK wrote:
: : "Frederick W. Reimer,Sr" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: :
: : >It's the same effect (as a registry).  The point is that all
: : >configuration data is stored through the same mechanism, if not in the
: : >same file/database/registry.  This stifles innovation and creativity.
: :
: : You mean like not changing the way a program configures itself (if it aint
: : broke, don fix it) ; having to cut and paste code from another program
: : which already parses a text configuration file, worrying about stuff that
: : should be available in a standard library instead of getting on with the
: : program...

: Then write a library to do this for you (generally abstracted, of course),
: and distribute it.

Would it be correct to say this idea/library already existed?  The file
"Xresources" is a good example.  You can think of it as text mode
version of Registry and more.  You can have everything in one file or one
file per application.  I don't believe individual developer needs to
write their own parser.  But he/she can centainly reinvent the wheel if
he/she inclines to do so.

Here is another adventure I need to solve now.  How do you incorporate
your modeline info (sync rates) into the form of Win9x Registry?
Obviously, the default isn't doing it right so I have to tune it myself.
I appreciate any help or reading material.

------------------------------

From: Richard Jones <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: measure time in milli or micro sec accuracy
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1999 07:43:43 GMT

Wuncheol Heo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: Hello.
: I want to measure time in milli or micro sec accuracy.
: How can I do that in C code?

On the Pentium, use TSC for sub-microsecond accuracy
with very low overhead (takes 14 cycles to read it
on my box).

$ ../bin/calibrate-tsc
Calibrated Pentium timestamp counter: 265541309 Hz

Rich.

//      -*- C++ -*-
//
//      CALIBRATE-TSC Copyright (C) 1998 Richard W.M. Jones.
//
//      This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
//      it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
//      the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or
//      (at your option) any later version.
//
//      This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
//      but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
//      MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the
//      GNU General Public License for more details.
//
//      You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
//      along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software
//      Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place - Suite 330, Boston, MA 02111-1307,
//      USA.

// Compile with:
//   g++ -Wall -O2 -o calibrate-tsc calibrate-tsc.cc
// Tested with EGCS 1.0.2

#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <sys/types.h>
#include <sys/time.h>
#include <unistd.h>
#include <iostream.h>

// Read the Pentium TSC.
static inline u_int64_t
rdtsc ()
{
  u_int64_t d;
  // Instruction is volatile because we don't want it to move
  // over an adjacent gettimeofday. That would ruin the timing
  // calibrations.
  __asm__ __volatile__ ("rdtsc" : "=&A" (d));
  return d;
}

// Compute 64 bit value / timeval (treated as a real).
static inline u_int64_t
operator / (u_int64_t v, timeval t)
{
  return u_int64_t (v / (double (t.tv_sec) + double (t.tv_usec) / 1000000.));
}

// Compute left - right for timeval structures.
static inline timeval
operator - (const timeval &left, const timeval &right)
{
  u_int64_t left_us = (u_int64_t) left.tv_sec * 1000000 + left.tv_usec;
  u_int64_t right_us = (u_int64_t) right.tv_sec * 1000000 + right.tv_usec;
  u_int64_t diff_us = left_us - right_us;
  timeval r = { diff_us / 1000000, diff_us % 1000000 };
  return r;
}

// Compute the positive difference between two 64 bit numbers.
static inline u_int64_t
diff (u_int64_t v1, u_int64_t v2)
{
  u_int64_t d = v1 - v2;
  if (d >= 0) return d; else return -d;
}

int
main (int argc, char *argv [])
{
  // Compute the period. Loop until we get 3 consecutive periods that
  // are the same to within a small error. The error is chosen
  // to be +/- 1% on a P-200.
  const u_int64_t error = 2000000;
  const int max_iterations = 20;
  int count;
  u_int64_t period,
    period1 = error * 2,
    period2 = 0,
    period3 = 0;
  for (count = 0; count < max_iterations; count++)
    {
      timeval start_time, end_time;
      u_int64_t start_tsc, end_tsc;

      gettimeofday (&start_time, 0);
      start_tsc = rdtsc ();
      sleep (1);
      gettimeofday (&end_time, 0);
      end_tsc = rdtsc ();

      period3 = (end_tsc - start_tsc) / (end_time - start_time);

      if (diff (period1, period2) <= error &&
          diff (period2, period3) <= error &&
          diff (period1, period3) <= error)
        break;

      period1 = period2;
      period2 = period3;
    }
  if (count == max_iterations)
    {
      cerr << "calibrate-tsc: gettimeofday or Pentium TSC not stable\n"
           << "  enough for accurate timing.\n";
      exit (1);
    }

  // Set the period to the average period measured.
  period = (period1 + period2 + period3) / 3;

  // Some Pentiums have broken TSCs that increment very
  // slowly or unevenly. My P-133, for example, has a TSC
  // that appears to increment at ~20kHz.
  if (period < 10000000)
    {
      cerr << "calibrate-tsc: Pentium TSC seems to be broken on this CPU.\n";
      exit (1);
    }

  cout << "Calibrated Pentium timestamp counter: " << period << " Hz\n";
}

-      Richard Jones. Linux contractor London and SE areas.        -
-    Very boring homepage at: http://www.annexia.demon.co.uk/      -
- You are currently the 1,991,243,100th visitor to this signature. -
-    Original message content Copyright (C) 1998 Richard Jones.    -

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Problems booting kernel 2.0.36
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1999 07:46:19 GMT

I have problems booting kernel 2.0.36 on one specific Machine. It doesn't
care whether booting from harddisk or via NFS-Root. The kernel completely
boots but doesn't start the init-process, or it seems like it isn't
started. The machine isn't locked, I can make a soft-reset. I mentioned
this problem already with developer kernels, but I didn't care. Other
machines don't have problems booting from the same filesystem. The machine
is a Siemens-Nixdorf PCD-5T with the D808 mainboard (EISA, Mercury
chipset, Pentium 60). I already tried several 2.0.36 kernels with
different configurations, I also tried the pre-patches til prepatch 2.
Does anybody have the same problem or a solution?

Marcel Petz

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Why I'm dumping Linux, going back to Windblows
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1999 08:03:40 GMT

Chris Hanson wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Erik <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
>    of win9x use.  Why do people not understand that is SHOULD take you some
>    time to learn something new, ESPECIALLY Linux.  Would you expect your
>
> I would not expect what I'm trying to learn to not go out of its way
> to be hard, too.
>
> The central idea that Apple and Xerox have contributed to
> human-computer interaction is *consistency*.  Editing text files to
> change your configuration is not in itself consistent.  Using the same
> format in all of those text files is.  Unfortunately, no Unix I know
> of does that; every file has its own slightly different format.
> Knowing how /etc/hosts is laid out doesn't make learning X resources
> any easier, and so on.
>
> I think this is at the core of many peoples' gripes with Linux, and to
> deny its legitimacy is a big mistake.
>
> (Of course, I don't expect people to listen to me.  I'll be denounced
> as a heretic, torched, and then the church will continue as it has...)

This is of course an enormous problem. A common config file i/o api should
have been developed and perhaps included with libc. Of course it wasn't and it
is too late to fix now. The only plausible solution would seem to be a unified
interface to configure numerous components of the operating system. Linuxconf
would seem to fit the bill. It's console and X ui leave a lot to be desired,
however a redone gui for X is under development and will hoepfully rectify the
problem. As for now, the web ui is decent.

-- Nadeem

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Leslie Mikesell)
Subject: Re: rewrittable CD
Date: 2 Jan 1999 02:08:48 -0600

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
David Philippi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>On Mon, 28 Dec 1998 11:47:46 +0100, Philippe Le Foll
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> Can it work under Linux ? if then where could I found some FAQ ?
>
>You can delete it using cdrecord (don't know about xcdroast) but you can't
>mount it read/write - yet.

Xcdroast is a GUI wrapper for mkisofs and cdrecord which are included
when you install it.  You can give the command line options directly
to cdrecord to erase a CD-RW.

  Les Mikesell
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter Samuelson)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: Switching Display Depth on the fly
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1999 07:41:58 GMT

[Dirk Foersterling <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>]
> I don't know about the Sun or HP or whatever framebuffers. On PC
> graphics adapters, color cycling in 8-bit modes is just shifting the
> colors around within the palette. The rest (display) is done by the
> hardware. In higher color resolutions, the graphics software has to
> repaint "color-cycled" areas manually.

I understand all that.  But I was just wondering if any graphics cards
support >8 (i.e. 15)-bpp palettes.  If so it would make sense to allow
an app to have an 8-bit colormap by grabbing 256 contiguous slots in
the larger table.  Then you could simulate multiple simultaneous
colormaps (just like our SGI's and RS/6000's here can do) fairly
cheaply.  Multiple simultaneous private colormaps is nice, believe you
me.

I doubt very many older cards support 15-16bpp palettes (if indeed any
cards do), since the palette itself takes 128-256 kb which used to be
pretty significant for a graphics card.

--
Peter Samuelson
<sampo.creighton.edu!psamuels>

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Robert Kaiser)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Some thoughts on Microsofts options against Linux
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1999 07:42:58 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Anthony Ord) writes:
> So in essence - it does make a difference, and it is important. Is
> that what you're saying?

Yes, it does make a difference. However, that difference is not
in performance, user friendliness or what else might be beneficial
for the user. It's sole purpose is to help Micro$oft maintain and
extend their monopoly.

Cheers

Rob

------------------------------

From: Walter Lundby <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: CDROM Warning:  (don't try this)
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1999 07:46:52 GMT

H. Peter Anvin wrote:

> Followup to:  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> By author:    Walter Lundby <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> In newsgroup: comp.os.linux.development.system
> >
> > I was testing a new cdrom drive:  36X DR special from ...
> >
> > Anyway, the drive I was replacing had a spin/up/down problem
> > that would result in an ATAPI bus reset so I wanted to make
> > sure that the new one didn't have the problem.
> >
> > So,  I figured:
> >   "dd bs=32768 if=/dev/cdrom of=/dev/null"
> >
> > Worked great to prove that the cd wouldn't spin down...
> >
> > BUT SMASHED THE READ HEAD after it finished reading the CD!
> > The drive was a total loss.
> > [Awful firmware:  No range testing]
> >

> DETAILED specs please (i.e. manufacturer, model, etc...) this is the
> worst I've ever heard of.

The CompUSA $29.95 weekend special.   Digital Research 36x
I had to wait until I got my money back before saying...
Next one is a name brand.

--
Motorola Inc.                   Work: 847-632-3944
1475 West Shure Drive           Page: 847-576-0295

------------------------------

From: Carlos Vidal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Communication with Modem
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1999 09:31:42 +0000

Anthony Richard Lambert wrote:

> I am trying to port over a small program written in C from an old Data
> General Unix box to a Linux(RH5) box here at work.  The program compiles
> fine, but when run the program complains about mgetc when accessing the
> modem.  Basically I was wondering if someone could point me to a web
> address that shows me how to right code to communicate with the modem.

You can look at 'chat' source code (is part of Linux utils) or read the
Serial HOWTO, it's quite simple.

--
Carlos Vidal
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 01 Jan 1999 12:50:00 -0700
From: "D. Stimits" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: silly question

ebatchelor wrote:

> I am a new user to Linux.  I am an experienced MSDOS user, have written
> many batch files to accomplish what I want to do, and can recall the
> names of most DOS utilities I need to use.  Of course, DOS sucks, but
> Windows cures many of the DOS shortcomings (long file names,
> multitasking (almost), etc.).  Linux seems to incorporate the best of
> both worlds,
>
> but....
>
> Why the convoluted, hard to recall, someone thought it was funny in 1975
> utility names?  It seems to me that BASH could be easily recoded to
> include easy to use and remember identifiers without giving up ANY
> functionality.  I know it's part of the worship Unix thing, but it seems
> Linux could be more user friendly with little effort...
>
> Just a question.
>
> Ed Batchelor
> innocent bystander

You might find the tcsh shell more friendly if you know C. Aliases are excellent, and
much syntax is
C-like. Remember that in MS, the look/feel and command set is built into the system,
whereas in
UNIX-like environments the shell determines this, and is totally replaceable. When in
the console,
it is the shell. When in X, it is the window manager.

------------------------------

From: "Stephen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: VB Converter?
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1999 08:47:50 GMT

Is there a Visual basic converter around to convert VB GUI's to X GUI's? If
there isn't, it would be a kewl project eh?

--
Stephen J. Lawrence Jr.
Logical Arts Web Manufacturing Co.

------------------------------

From: Peter Pointner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: lp0 on fire in 2.1.131
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1999 07:39:18 GMT

Bill Davidsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> >   I had a chance to show someone Linux, and they had three computers and
>> > four printers, all of which work under Win95 and SCO OpenServer. Not
>> > only did no combination of printer and system work, the "lp0 on fire"

[snip]

I'd guess the printer was connected to lp1. lp0 is on io port 0x3bc, I think
that was the one on the ancient graphic cards. In any case you can check with
cat /proc/ioports and man lp.

Btw, talking about good error messages: I recently wanted to do a screen dump
with Win95 on a HP DeskJet 6something. The printer did nothing, but 3 windows
popped up: The first told me the printer is ready. The second told me there
is a problem with the bidirectional communication. The third told me to
restart windows and try again. I'm not sure if that is better than
"lp0 on fire".

Peter

------------------------------

From: Martin Recktenwald <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1999 07:46:12 GMT

"Wuncheol Heo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I want to measure time in milli or micro sec accuracy.

gettimeofday()

   Martin.

------------------------------

From: "John L. Masson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: Interesting (and surprising) way to crash X
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1999 07:46:30 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> In article <74f9ap$a3n$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> > Since when does mouse and keyboard include the entire system?
> > Next time that happens telnet from another box and kill -9 pid_of_X.
> > I experience an X crash every few months and I never lost the ENTIRE
> > system.
> >

> Well, you're right in a sense, but only if you use linux on a network.
> However, the keyboard and mouse DO include the entire system when you run
> linux as a standalone.  I don't think that any single process should be able

Hear, hear. Something similar sounding occaisionally happens on my
system if I kill X without loging out of the window manager first, with
far fewer than 100 clients running. It's a pain in the arse, and it
sould be fixed, though of course I myself have neither the time nor the
expertise to do it(sorry)...

--
John L. Masson

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: James Youngman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: engineering practices in Linux/OSS
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1999 07:46:38 GMT

Dan Kegel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> "Mike L." schrieb:

> > Unix soit qui mal y pense.

> Ok, I'm not literate enough, nor is my French quite good enough.
> What's that mean?  (Expliquez-vous en francais, s'il vous plait...)

I'll explain in English if you don't mind.  The original quotation is
(I think) "Honi soit qui mal y pense".  It's a quotation from an
Engligh King, Edward II if I remember correctly, and it's what he said
on the occasion that caused the creation of the Order of the Garter.
It means, roughly "Let he be ashamed, who thinks badly of it".  As for
the "Unix" variant, as far as I can see it doesn't make sense.  But
then, I'm not a native 12th-century-French speaker.

--
ACTUALLY reachable as @free-lunch.demon.(whitehouse)co.uk:james+usenet

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jeremy Mathers)
Subject: Re: Possible to mount a initrd.img file directly (w/o gunzipping first) ?
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1999 07:46:50 GMT

In article <7566eu$h5h$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Zenon Fortuna <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>In article <754i7n$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>Jeremy Mathers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>I have an initrd.img file (initial ram disk image).  I want to see
>>what is in it.  I can do:
>>
>>      gzip -dc < initrd.img > /tmp/ramdisk.img
>>      mount -o loop /tmp/ramdisk.img /mnt
>>
>>and everything is fine.  Is there any way to do it in one step,
>>without creating the intermediate file?
>
>1. To see what is inside you need to mount it
>2. I think it is impossible to mount a compressed file as a filesystem
>   (the "compressed filesystem" it is something else)
>Ergo: you need the two above steps.

OK - no problem.  Was just wondering if there was a way that I had
missed.  There is a compressed file system type (I've never used it;
just heard about it), so, in theory at least, it might be possible to
mount a compressed initrd.  Although as BMc points out, given the way
gzip is, it might have to be read-only.

>Unless ... you write an utility which would combine gunzip and fsck (or other
>filesystem parser). With the "open sources" it is not so difficult.
>
>BTW: does the initrd accept the gzipped image by startup? (Sounds logical to
>have it, especially when you can load gzipped kernels, but I believed that
>the initrd.img has to be uncompressed)

No, it doesn't.  Try running 'file' on an initrd file sometime.
I just checked it on the /boot/initrd file on a Red Hat system, and it
came back as a "gzip'd file".  Also check out the /sbin/mkinitrd program
and scan for 'gzip'.

------------------------------

From: gilley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: XFree86 mode's for laptop LCD displays?
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1999 07:46:53 GMT

Richard Tilmann wrote:

> Anyone know where the docs are for writing the XFree86 mode lines for
> laptop LCD displays?   How does the H & V synch timings and clock
> timings translate to the LCD?

   Post you laptop type and someone will probably already know the
correct
    setting.

             Good Luck
    Sean

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tony Hoyle)
Subject: Re: SMB_MOUNT_VERSION
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1999 07:47:05 GMT

On 16 Dec 1998 11:05:20 -0500, Sam Steingold <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>smbmount fails and /var/log/messages says:
>
>Dec 11 09:56:34 eho kernel: SMBFS: need mount version 6
>
>samba-1.9.18p10-52.4

You need to be running Samba 2.0.0 (currently at beta 4)

Tony

Hello, my name is Bill.  I like blue.  Do you like blue?  Let me show you some blue.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                                     http://sale.netfusion.co.uk

From: Sam Steingold <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1999 07:47:07 GMT

 >> On 16 Dec 1998 11:05:20 -0500, Sam Steingold <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
 >>
 >> >smbmount fails and /var/log/messages says:
 >> >
 >> >Dec 11 09:56:34 eho kernel: SMBFS: need mount version 6
 >> >
 >> >samba-1.9.18p10-52.4
 >>
 >> You need to be running Samba 2.0.0 (currently at beta 4)

Version 2.0.0beta4:

# /usr/local/samba/bin/smbmount //eagle_one/common /mnt/h password
Added interface ip=208.235.77.238 bcast=208.235.77.255 nmask=255.255.255.224
Server time is Wed Dec 16 14:28:28 1998
Timezone is UTC-5.0
Session setup failed for username=SDS myname=EHO destname=EAGLE_ONE   ERRDOS -
ERRnoaccess (Access denied.)
You might find the -U, -W or -n options useful
Sometimes you have to use `-n USERNAME' (particularly with OS/2)
Some servers also insist on uppercase-only passwords
# tail /var/log/messages
Dec 16 12:44:41 eho identd[12936]: from: 127.0.0.1 ( eho ) for: 1102, 25
Dec 16 13:12:53 eho identd[13543]: Connection from eho
Dec 16 13:12:53 eho identd[13543]: from: 127.0.0.1 ( eho ) for: 1122, 25
Dec 16 13:33:46 eho -- MARK --
Dec 16 13:53:46 eho -- MARK --
Dec 16 14:13:05 eho identd[1870]: Connection from eho
Dec 16 14:13:05 eho identd[1870]: from: 127.0.0.1 ( eho ) for: 1135, 25
Dec 16 14:19:31 eho kernel: smb_delete_inode: could not close inode 2
Dec 16 14:19:33 eho kernel: smb_retry: no connection process
Dec 16 14:19:33 eho kernel: smb_delete_inode: could not close inode 2
#

no combination of password casing and -W works (especially since we are
using "domains" not "workgroups", whatever that might mean).

I can mount with samba-1.9.18p10-52.4/Linux 2.0.35, so it is unlikely
that the problem is on the server side.

--
Sam Steingold (http://www.goems.com/~sds) running RedHat5.2 GNU/Linux
Micros**t is not the answer.  Micros**t is a question, and the answer is Linux,

------------------------------

From: Scott Taylor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux Process Limit
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1999 07:47:10 GMT

Increasing the number of max procs requires recompiling the kernel.

Simply modify the value of NR_TASKS from the default 512 to whatever number you
require.  This #define is in limits.h I believe - do a grep in your kernel
source directory to check this.

Once you have changed this value simply recompile the kernel and your done.

As a side note - the more active processes you have running on your system the
more context switching occurs.  There exists a theoretical limit at which point
the kernel is spending more time context switching the large number of
processes instead of doing the real work of the processes.

Linux User wrote:

> Hello, I run kernel 2.1.131 with a dual processor machine.
> But 400+ processes run, and when it hits about 411 processes things stop
> working it cannot fork resource.
> With 2.0.36 i increased the amount of File Descriptors and max procs allowed
> and it worked, but 2.0.36 doesnt handle all those processes as well as the
> 2.1.131, but the fs.h in /usr/src/linux/include/linux is different. I wasnt
> sure how to increase the max procs and file descriptors. I attempted to play
> around with it. And it didnt work.
>
> If someone can let me know how to enable my machine to run more processes
> then 512 limit please let me know.
>
> Thanks

     Scott Taylor
     The University of Texas at Arlington
     Personal Home Page: http://www.flash.net/~srtaylor
     Research Home Page: http://mutex.uta.edu/~srtaylor/cilk
     Tel. 817-272-5188
     E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: "Ulrich Küttler" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Kernel-2.2-pre2
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1999 10:08:13 +0100

Compiling the new kernel I got:

gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux-2.2.0-pre2/include -Wall
-Wstrict-prototypes -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -fno-strength-reduce
-m486 -malign-loops=2 -malign-jumps=2 -malign-functions=2 -DCPU=686  -c
-o init/main.o init/main.c
/usr/src/linux-2.2.0-pre2/include/asm/bugs.h: In function
`check_config':
In file included from init/main.c:27:
/usr/src/linux-2.2.0-pre2/include/asm/bugs.h:354: `smp_found_config'
undeclared
(first use this function)
/usr/src/linux-2.2.0-pre2/include/asm/bugs.h:354: (Each undeclared
identifier is reported only once
/usr/src/linux-2.2.0-pre2/include/asm/bugs.h:354: for each function it
appears in.)
make: *** [init/main.o] Error 1

It seems to me there is something like '#include <asm/smp.h>' and
'#ifdef __SMP__' missing in 'asm/bugs.h'. That's just a guess.
By the way: I tried to compile without SMP.