  2.2p6 SMP System Hang When Running Sox (Jay Munsterman)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: disheartened gnome developer
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 03:21:34 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Frank Sweetser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>
> > >   You'll have to be more specific.
> > >
> > >   All I've found so far in the Redhat control-panel are like thus:
> > >
> > > Red Hat Linux netcfg 2.18
> > > Copyright (C) 1996, 1997 Red Hat Software
> > > Redistributable under the terms of the GNU General Public License
> >
> > Gee, so the control panel is owned by Red Hat, and they could rerelease them
> > tomorrow under a proprietary license. Just like I said they could (and said
> > they wont do it) when you called me a liar.
> >
> > I suppose you wont apologize, of course.
>
> however, it's also GPL'd, so regardless of what license they redistribute
> it under tommorow, you still can do everything the GPL allows with your
> current copy, including demanding source.

Sure. That is how licenses work. Once you have a licensed copy, well,
you have one :-)

--
Roberto Alsina (KDE developer, MFCH)

From: Frank Hale <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 2.2.0pre6 booting errors
Date: 12 Jan 1999 04:58:21 GMT

Mumit Khan wrote:

> In article <77e0qs$sn$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> Nathan Myers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >Strange, I installed vanilla 5.2 on my brother's Libretto (P75/16M)
> >and then 2.2.0-pre6, and everything (except parport modules) worked.
> >With static parport everything worked.  Is the only difference the
> >compiler?  I built the kernel, modules, and pcmcia stuff with
> >Egcs-1.1.1.
>
> Why me??? The problem started when I installed an updated RPM for
> modutils, and then it just went downhill from there. Now my machine
> is a mess, and currently running Solaris until I can figure out
> a clean way to do this. I did have 2.0.36-3 running well in SMP
> except for one *very* annoying thing -- no matter what I tried
> (everything from RTC, xntpd, running ntpdate and rdate via cron,
> etc) the time drift was simply too far out to be usable. This is
> supposedly known problem with 2.0.x series, so I was hoping 2.2.0
> will fix it.
>
> Can you load modules using insmod w/out any trouble? If so, I'm
> going to start from scratch yet again and try that.
>
> Regards,
> Mumit

Same for me. At least on boot before the modutils updated rpm It just
didn't load any modules and was alright. I update a few packages like
people tell me and the system becomes a mess won't function at all. I
had to reinstall from scratch and now I ain't messing with it until I
can get some concrete answers to what you absolutely need to upgrade for
RH 5.2 to work with this kernel.

No I couldn't get the modules to load. Tells me it can't find them but
they were right were they were supposed to be /lib/modules/2.2.0-pre6

By the way I am running a Stock system. RH5.2 with everything loaded
from install CD.

From:      Frank Hale
Email:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
ICQ:       7205161
Homepage:  http://members.xoom.com/frankhale/
Jade:      http://jade.netpedia.net/

------------------------------

From: mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: silly question
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 04:37:44 +0000

George MacDonald wrote:

> mlw wrote:
> >
> > mlw wrote:

> > > I have looked, maybe I am dense, but, I would like to do something like:
> > >
> > > xcopy *.cpp -s -e -h -c ../anotherdir
> > >
> > > This will copy all of the files that end with .cpp to another directory,
> > > recreating the directory structure with them. If an error happens it
> > > will continue.
> >
> > Don't get me wrong, I am a Linux user. Look at my mail headers. There
> > just isn't a command with the abilities of Xcopy on Linux, but, hey if
> > that is all I miss, I am way ahead.
>
> see the man page for duhduh(8), it's a secret command that is only
> visible to root users who put the secret word "..." into a file
> called /...enableHacks.  You need to use fsdb to create the file,
> then set it permissions 9876543210.
>
> Hope this helps

Yeh, if you want to insult me, that would require that I have enough
regard for you to affect me.

This sort of thing is uncalled for.

--
Mohawk Software
Windows 95, Windows NT, UNIX, Linux. Applications, drivers, support.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Leslie Mikesell)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Open Configuration Storage - was Registry for Linux
Date: 11 Jan 1999 22:55:56 -0600

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
George MacDonald  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Well just like in nsswitch you should be able to say
>
>       get from files, get from NIS, get from DNS
>
>or
>       get from files
>
>or
>       get from DNS
>
>i.e. it should be configurable.

Yes, but if you have to do this configuration to even get started
what have you gained from the configuration facility?  If you
are using DCHP the server can give you the IP address, default
router, DNS server, and domain name automatically.  At that point
you would be prepared to make a network request to some
well-known DNS name (or alias) and service for a hands-off
startup.  As long as you actually have a DNS server available
you will get a connection or an authoritative response that the
name doesn't exist immediately.  However if your DNS isn't
available there is a fairly long timeout.

  Les Mikesell
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: IPMasquerading / SSH
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 13:40:38 +0000

Daniel R. Grayson wrote:

> Greg Boehnlein <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > Hello all,
> >       I've got this particularly annoying problem when SSHing out
> > through my 2.0.36 box w/ IP Masquerading. If I'm sitting behind the box
> > and connecting to an outside server, the SSH connection eventually goes
> > away. This only happens when I am idle for a period of time.
> >       I'm running SSH 1.2.26-1us from ftp.replay.com.
> >
> > Any suggestions? It's a minor annoyance right now, but enough to piss me
> > off every couple of hours.
> >
> > --
> >       President of New Age Consulting Service, Inc.  Cleveland Ohio
> >            http://www.nacs.net   [EMAIL PROTECTED]   (216)-619-2000
> >          An athletic supporter of the Cleveland Linux User Group
> >                         http://cleveland.lug.net
>
> This has nothing to do with ssh, but has to do with an time limit for
> automatic expiration of any masquerading connection imposed by the kernel.
> I'm using a 2.1 kernel, but it must be pretty similar, and I haven't figured
> out to increase the expiration time to anything other than the default 15
> minutes.
>
> In linux/include/net/ip_masq.h one sees this line
>
> #define MASQUERADE_EXPIRE_TCP     15*60*HZ
>
> which seems to set the expiration time to 15 seconds.  But changing the
> number here doesn't help.
>
> In the documentation to ipchains (yes, used only with 2.1 kernels) one sees
> an option -S for setting these times to something else, but it doesn't work.

Have you tried connecting without using masq? I could be the server to
which you are connected in addition to your local masquerading kernel.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ryan R. Henry)
Subject: Re: Linux Sound Engine
Date: 12 Jan 1999 08:30:47 -0500

I believe there's something like this in OSS.  I saw a "Virtual Mixer" thingy, and in
the docs it said it was for doing real time mixing of multiple sound sources, so you
could do exactly as you're thinking.

Ryan Henry
---
Wrong on most accounts.  const Foo *foo; and Foo const *foo; mean the same: foo
being a pointer to const Foo.  const Foo const *foo; would mean the same but is
illegal (double const).  You are confusing this with Foo * const foo; and const
Foo * const foo; respectively. -David Kastrup, comp.os.linux.development.system

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter Steiner)
Date: 12 Jan 1999 14:47:26 +0100

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Ross Vandegrift wrote:

>/dev/dsp is relinked to /dev/leaf (Linux Enhanced Audio Filter, if you
>care).

How can I create a device like that? Multiple processes are supposed to
write to /dev/leaf at the same time while internally the audio mixer
must handle all connections separately. It looks like a kind of named
socket to me, but can this be made compatible with the original
/dev/dsp behaviour? I'd prefer a userspace solution here. Mixing the
audio data shouldn't be a big problem.

Ciao,

Peter
--
   _   x    ___
  / \_/_\_ /,--'  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter Steiner)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: How to edit kmalloc.c for PAGE_SIZE of 4 megabytes?
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 14:31:34 GMT

I would like to compile my kernel with a 4 megabyte cache size instead of the
4 kilobyte cache size that it comes with (my hardware supports these two page
sizes, and I want to go on to the larger one).  I realize that I could take
performance hits, etc..  This means that I have to edit kmalloc to create a
blocksize structure of my own, as indicated in the comment in the code
(excerpted below).  How would I go about doing this?

/*
 * For now it is unsafe to allocate bucket sizes between n and
 * n-sizeof(page_descriptor) where n is PAGE_SIZE * any power of two
 *
 * The blocksize and sizes arrays _must_ match!
 */
#if PAGE_SIZE == 4096
static const unsigned int blocksize[] = {
        32,
        64,
        128,
        252,
        508,
        1020,
        2040,
        4096 - 16,
        8192 - 16,
        16384 - 16,
        32768 - 16,
        65536 - 16,
        131072 - 16,
        0
};

static struct size_descriptor sizes[] =
{
        {NULL, NULL, 127, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0},
        {NULL, NULL, 63, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0},
        {NULL, NULL, 31, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0},
        {NULL, NULL, 16, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0},
        {NULL, NULL, 8, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0},
        {NULL, NULL, 4, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0},
        {NULL, NULL, 2, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0},
        {NULL, NULL, 1, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0},
        {NULL, NULL, 1, 0, 0, 0, 0, 1},
        {NULL, NULL, 1, 0, 0, 0, 0, 2},
        {NULL, NULL, 1, 0, 0, 0, 0, 3},
        {NULL, NULL, 1, 0, 0, 0, 0, 4},
        {NULL, NULL, 1, 0, 0, 0, 0, 5},
        {NULL, NULL, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0}
};
#elif PAGE_SIZE == 8192
static const unsigned int blocksize[] = {
        64,
        128,
        248,
        504,
        1016,
        2040,
        4080,
        8192 - 32,
        16384 - 32,
        32768 - 32,
        65536 - 32,
        131072 - 32,
        262144 - 32,
        0
};

struct size_descriptor sizes[] =
{
        {NULL, NULL, 127, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0},
        {NULL, NULL, 63, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0},
        {NULL, NULL, 31, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0},
        {NULL, NULL, 16, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0},
        {NULL, NULL, 8, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0},
        {NULL, NULL, 4, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0},
        {NULL, NULL, 2, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0},
        {NULL, NULL, 1, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0},
        {NULL, NULL, 1, 0, 0, 0, 0, 1},
        {NULL, NULL, 1, 0, 0, 0, 0, 2},
        {NULL, NULL, 1, 0, 0, 0, 0, 3},
        {NULL, NULL, 1, 0, 0, 0, 0, 4},
        {NULL, NULL, 1, 0, 0, 0, 0, 5},
        {NULL, NULL, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0}
};
#else
#error you need to make a version for your pagesize
#endif

From: Johan Kullstam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 12 Jan 1999 09:29:56 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Nathan Myers) writes:

> Mumit Khan<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >Frank Hale  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >>Okay I have 2.2.0pre6 installed and when I boot it I get the following
> >>errors
> >>
> >>depmod: error in loading shared libraries
> >>: undefined symbol : __bzero
> >>By the way I am on a RedHat 5.2 machine.
> >
> >Trying to get my dual-PII 450Mhz box running, I ran into the same problem.
> >  - install 5.2 + all the updates
> >  - get 2.2.0pre6 + Alan Cox patch and build from source
> >  - update the following from RawHide (rawhide.redhat.com)
> >      - glibc
> >      - modutils
> >      - util-linux
> >      - net-tools
> >
> >In that order. Upgrading glibc should fix your particular problem (not
> >finding __bzero).

can glibc2.0 be seamlessly upgraded to glibc2.1?  i have glibc-2.0.7
(actually .6 pre-something with redhat hacks), if i install
glibc-2.0.109 from rawhide, will all my dynamically linked programs
continue to work?  or is this a major jump like libc5 -> glibc2
requiring a total system recompile?

--
johan kullstam

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mumit Khan)
Date: 12 Jan 1999 15:57:55 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Andi Kleen  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>The rawhide binary RPMS are linked against glibc 2.1. Noone said you
>could install them on a 5.2 system without problems @)
>I would at least recompile them before installing (grab the src.rpm,
>do a rpm --rebuild and install the new RPM from /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386/)
>
>BTW, the standard 5.2 modutils should work fine with 2.2 kernels.

Thank you! That's the clearest and simplest advice I've seen so far.

Regards,
Mumit

------------------------------

From: Nelson Minar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 12 Jan 1999 12:20:07 -0500

Greg Boehnlein <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>I've got this particularly annoying problem when SSHing out
>through my 2.0.36 box w/ IP Masquerading. If I'm sitting behind the box
>and connecting to an outside server, the SSH connection eventually goes
>away. This only happens when I am idle for a period of time.

IP masquerading in 2.0 will remove an entry after 15 minutes if it
hasn't been used. So idle time kills the link.

ssh uses keepalives to try to keep the connection live. Ironically,
the keepalive threshold in Linux is also 15 minutes, and it's just not
quite good enough. I submitted this as a bug to the masquerade people
(suggesting they set the default timeout to a few minutes over the
keepalive interval), but I never got any response.

You can set the masquerade timeout to something higher with ipfwadm.
I do this:

  # set the masq timeout to 20 minutes for TCP, 5 minutes for UDP
  $IPFWADM -M -s 1200 120 300

In Linux 2.2, this is all different.

                                                  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
.       .      .     .    .   .  . . http://www.media.mit.edu/~nelson/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Daniel R. Grayson)
Date: 12 Jan 1999 11:45:02 -0600

mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Daniel R. Grayson wrote:
> >
> > Greg Boehnlein <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> >
> > > Hello all,
> > >       I've got this particularly annoying problem when SSHing out
> > > through my 2.0.36 box w/ IP Masquerading. If I'm sitting behind the box
> > > and connecting to an outside server, the SSH connection eventually goes
> > > away. This only happens when I am idle for a period of time.
> > >       I'm running SSH 1.2.26-1us from ftp.replay.com.
> > >
> > > Any suggestions? It's a minor annoyance right now, but enough to piss me
> > > off every couple of hours.
> > >
> > > --
> > >       President of New Age Consulting Service, Inc.  Cleveland Ohio
> > >            http://www.nacs.net   [EMAIL PROTECTED]   (216)-619-2000
> > >          An athletic supporter of the Cleveland Linux User Group
> > >                         http://cleveland.lug.net
> >
> > This has nothing to do with ssh, but has to do with an time limit for
> > automatic expiration of any masquerading connection imposed by the kernel.
> > I'm using a 2.1 kernel, but it must be pretty similar, and I haven't figured
> > out to increase the expiration time to anything other than the default 15
> > minutes.
> >
> > In linux/include/net/ip_masq.h one sees this line
> >
> > #define MASQUERADE_EXPIRE_TCP     15*60*HZ
> >
> > which seems to set the expiration time to 15 seconds.  But changing the
> > number here doesn't help.
> >
> > In the documentation to ipchains (yes, used only with 2.1 kernels) one sees
> > an option -S for setting these times to something else, but it doesn't work.
>
> Have you tried connecting without using masq? I could be the server to
> which you are connected in addition to your local masquerading kernel.

I don't know what you mean by "without using masq".  With two computers, one
modem, and an ISP that hands me one IP number when I dial up with ppp, I
don't know how to get both of them on the network without using IP
masquerading.  And it works fine.  Except for the expiration time.

I also don't know what you mean by "I could be the server to ...", sorry --
it sounds like you're offering to be part of my modem setup, so it must be a
misprint.

------------------------------

From: Eric <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Why I'm dumping Linux, going back to Windblows
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 02:18:23 -0700

==============E8A7D068B619CE6F9C9277F7

> Yes. It is true. I tried (in vain, of course) to find an astrology program
> written for Linux. No dice. There are dozens of serious ones for both DOS and
> Windows (and hundreds of trivial ones, too!)  And skip the anti-astrology
> flames, pls. And where are the PC Hot Rod dynamometers, simulators, databases,
> and calculation tools for serious racers etc., that abound in the DOS/Windows
> world?

Just wondering, do you have any old applianaces (refrigerators, dishwashers, etc) in
your back yard?

==============E8A7D068B619CE6F9C9277F7

<HTML>

<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>Yes. It is true. I tried (in vain, of course) to
find an <FONT COLOR="#FF0000">astrology program</FONT>
<BR>written for Linux. No dice. There are dozens of serious ones for both
DOS and
<BR>Windows (and hundreds of trivial ones, too!)&nbsp; And skip the anti-astrology
<BR>flames, pls. And where are the <FONT COLOR="#CC0000">PC Hot Rod dynamometers,
simulators, databases,</FONT>
<BR><FONT COLOR="#CC0000">and calculation tools for serious racers</FONT>
etc., that abound in the DOS/Windows
<BR>world?</BLOCKQUOTE>

<P><BR>Just wondering, do you have any old applianaces (refrigerators,

From: Jay Munsterman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: 2.2p6 SMP System Hang When Running Sox
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 18:20:48 GMT

All,
I apologize if I haven't included enough detail on the following issue,
but I will be happy to provide more info as requested.

I have experienced frequent system hangs when running sox to play au
files. I first experienced this in 2.1.131 and it still occurs with
2.2pre6.
The system:
Dual P233MMX on a Tyan Tomcat IV
Adaptec 2940 (no IDE) using md in a RAID0 configuration
TI Thunderlan NIC
Dual Matrox Millenium
SoundBlaster 16

In testing, I found that the sound card doesn't seem to make a
difference. I recompiled the kernel with Opti card support, installed
the Opti and had the same results.  There are no IRQ, DMA or IO mem
address conflicts with either card.  Last night I recompiled without SMP
enabled, and it was stable. I can freely recreate this problem with the
SMP kernel, so if anyone can help, I would be happy to provide any
details requested.
Thanks in advance,
Jay

--