From: Walter van der Schee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Kernel 2.2.0pre8 breaks eject-1.5 CDROM
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 14:07:14 +0100

I'm having a little trouble.
I'm using autofs together with eject-1.5 for easy CDROM
access, but since 2.2.0pre8 eject says :
"eject CDROMEJECT ioctl failed for "/dev/hdc" : Operation not Supported"

while linux-2.2.0pre7 worked like a charm.

CDROM drive is a SANYO 256-P 6x speed ATAPI-device on
a P/I P55T2P4 ASUS board ( HX ChipSet)

Will this be fixed?

Walter van der Schee

------------------------------

From: Emile van Bergen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: pre8, modules and problem with aha152x
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 15:07:57 +0100

Look at the scsi-howto. If I remember correctly, there's something there
about some bios signature missing in the 1520 (as opposed to the 1542).
The solution was to compile the module with NOBIOSSCAN (or something
lile that) #defined. Anyway, you can find the exact name in ah15*.h

Also, you could try supplying the port/irq parameters manually...

--

M.vr.gr. / Best regards,

Emile van Bergen (e-mail address: [EMAIL PROTECTED])

This e-mail message is 100% electronically degradeable and produced
on a GNU/Linux system.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (J.H.M. Dassen (Ray))
Subject: Re: Hacking glibc's dynamic linker
Date: 21 Jan 1999 13:03:15 GMT

Dave Bailey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Well, sort of.  I'm trying to write a program that lists all dynamically
>linked ELF files in $PATH which have a dependency on libxxx.so, libyyy.so,
>libzzz.so, etc, where xxx, yyy, zzz, ... are supplied as the arguments to
>the program.  The program would work sort of like ldd, only backwards -
>instead of listing the dependencies of a program, it would list the
>programs with a given dependency.

Debian includes a "binstats" package which may do this:
Package: binstats
Section: utils
Version: 1.00-3
Depends: libc6, file
 A utility to aid the tidying up of binaries, interpreted scripts, and
 dynamic libraries.  It can find the number and identity of a.out and
 ELF binaries, plus their debugging symbols status, setuid status, and
 dynamic library dependence.  It can count the number of Java bytecode
 programs, tally up the main types of scripts, and look for
 unidentified executable text files.
 .
 Also it is able to find any duplicated executable names, unused
 libraries, binaries with missing libraries, and statically linked
 binaries.

>Is it possible for me to extract the part(s) of the RTLD in glibc2 which
>determine the dynamic dependencies of an ELF?  It should be just a matter
>of reading the header in the right way, right?

binutils' "objdump" can do this for you.

HTH,
Ray
--
POPULATION EXPLOSION  Unique in human experience, an event which happened
yesterday but which everyone swears won't happen until tomorrow.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hans-Joachim Baader)
Subject: Re: Kernel 2.2.0pre6 crashes permanently
Date: 20 Jan 1999 07:13:08 +0100

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Uwe Brandt  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I´ve tried Kernel 2.1.127 to 2.2.0pre6 and they all
>crashed after 5 - 10 min. The error-message I get is:
>"unknown Interrupt"
>"stuck on TLB IPI wait CPU#0"

Do you have APM enabled? Does it work if you recompile the kernel without?

hjb
--
"Every use of Linux is a proper use of Linux."
                                -- John "Maddog" Hall, Keynote at the Linux

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Alexander Viro)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Linux Phase 2: A Consumer Operating System
Date: 20 Jan 1999 15:47:05 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Vihung Marathe  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
[snip]
>Making Linux into a consumer product has two major primary benefits

Go and do it if you want it. You are nothing. You are less than nothing - you
are marketdroid wannabe who barely learned to post. You words worth not more
than your pathetic self until you *bloody go and write what you want to have*.

[snip]
>To accomplish this, developers must find out what consumers want.

Then go, find it out and do it. And don't DARE to tell "must" to people
who don't depend on you and owe you nothing.

[snip]
>Please remove the .nospam from my reply-to address
        You think that you are worth demunging your bloody address???
Speak about the gall...

FOAD. *PLONK*

--
"You're one of those condescending Unix computer users!"
"Here's a nickel, kid.  Get yourself a better computer" - Dilbert.

------------------------------

From: Paul Hovnanian <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How can I build a Linux system from scratch - NO distribution?
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 12:26:59 -0800

Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:

> I would like to build a Linux system from scratch, without using a premade
> distribution as a starting point.  I don't know exactly where to begin.

Easiest way (IMHO) is to set up a disk partition under a fully configured
linux and start installing/building pieces onto that partition. Then,
configure lilo (or whatever) to optionally select that partition as the
root. Reboot. See whats still missing. Go back to the full up system
and install it. Repeat.

This way, you have all the goodies available for fetching, building,
unpacking zipped kits, etc. on the full system. When you are done, you will
have built your own custom distribution. Or driven yourself nuts. Or both. ;-)

--
Paul Hovnanian     mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]?Subject=Open-source%20Microsoft%20now%21

------------------------------

From: "Karsten Söte" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.development,comp.os.linux.development.apps
Subject: Re: How to run Windows Applications on Linux
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 22:30:18 +0100

Jim Richardson schrieb:

> On 13 Jan 1999 03:25:46 +0100,
>  Jens Kristian Sĝgaard
>  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> brought forth the following words...:

> >> PageMaker or CorelDRAW!
> >
> >I've successfully run PageMaker on Linux using WINE. Try it ;-)
> >

> >--
> >Jens Kristian Sĝgaard,
> >[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> I for one have been unsuccessful in getting wine to do anything, I am sure
> that there is something, somewhere, I am doing wrong. I can't
> even get it to play tictactoe... Getting wine up to play the few games I
> use in windows, would enable me to delete windows entirely from the disk.
>  (back to to the docs...)
>
> --
> Jim Richardson
>         Anarchist, pagan and proud of it
> WWW.eskimo.com/~warlock
>         Linux, because life's too short for a buggy OS.

  Windows-Apps even don't run on Windows! Why do are you thinking they run
elsewhere?

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 16:30:54 +0100
From: "Ing. Michael Zachl" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Problem with I/O Access under Linux

==============70345C6BB771A7F64B654C1F

Joachim Knoth wrote:

> Hi!
> Does anyone have an idea how i can get access to my parallel-port-card
> (Typ I/O-8255; 3x8Bit) using c or c++ (gnu/gcc)?
> I tried to used the function outw(port, value) and memcpy(...) both
> without any success :-( -> i always got an error: segmentation fault!
> I think it`s the same as under NT: No hardware access.
>
> Perhaps, someone can help me?!
> Thanks a lot!
>
> CU
> Joachim
>
> mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

 Linux must protect its Harware, that the system doesn't crash. So ist
does not allow any userprocess  to acces the ports directly.
To get access to a register, use the function ioperm() or iopl() (look at
man ioperm) with root privileges (be careful).

Michael Zachl

--
Ing. Michael Zachl
Elektronik & Energietechnik

Tel.: 07252/53301-21
Fax.: 07252/53301-20
Handy: 0664/4341500
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

==============70345C6BB771A7F64B654C1F

<HTML>
Joachim Knoth wrote:
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>Hi!
<BR>Does anyone have an idea how i can get access to my parallel-port-card
<BR>(Typ I/O-8255; 3x8Bit) using c or c++ (gnu/gcc)?
<BR>I tried to used the function outw(port, value) and memcpy(...) both
<BR>without any success :-( -> i always got an error: segmentation fault!
<BR>I think it`s the same as under NT: No hardware access.

<P>Perhaps, someone can help me?!
<BR>Thanks a lot!

<P>CU
<BR>Joachim

<P>mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]</BLOCKQUOTE>
&nbsp;Linux must protect its Harware, that the system doesn't crash. So
ist does not allow any userprocess&nbsp; to acces the ports directly.
<BR>To get access to a register, use the function ioperm() or iopl() (look
at man ioperm) with root privileges (be careful).

<P>Michael Zachl
<PRE>--&nbsp;
Ing. Michael Zachl
Elektronik &amp; Energietechnik
Am Platzl 4
A-4451 Garsten

Tel.: 07252/53301-21
Fax.: 07252/53301-20
Handy: 0664/4341500
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]</PRE>
&nbsp;</HTML>

From: Michael Powe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: disheartened gnome developer
Date: 20 Jan 1999 14:20:27 -0800

    Bob> Please define what *you* mean by "free market".

Doh! A market in which all decisions are rational. (Note that I do not
endorse this idea as a ruling theme of one's life, I'm merely giving a
definition.)

    Bob> I'm a conservative for many more years than you have
    Bob> existed. None of my Conservative friends/aquaintences believe
    Bob> in nor advocate such things.  I am frankly *tired* of pseudo
    Bob> intellectuals mouthing hackneyd propaganda phrases.

Really.  It's nice to know you've reached retirement age, but you
don't have a clue as to <my> age.

    Bob> FYI, the labor troubles you refer to was based largely on
    Bob> fear. Some of the "labor activists" were known and admitted
    Bob> Communists. This is the basis of businesses "fear". The
    Bob> violence that ensued by *both sides* is deplorable. It seems
    Bob> that business has long departed from its violence but the
    Bob> labor unions haven't.

Thanks for the "information."  I see you still have the old-fashioned
`red-baiting' attitude.  Please forgive me if I don't get all shaky at
the mention of "known and admitted Communists."

    >> There's no inbetween.  Choose your side.

    Bob> How about the Truth?

How about "don't change the subject."

mp

8<---------------how-easy-is-it-to-demunge-an-address?------------------->8
#! /usr/bin/perl # if you are [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Another Luser):
while ($line = <>){ if ($line =~ m/^\s*$/ ){ last; }
if ($line =~ m/^From: (\S+) \(([^()]*)\)/){ $from_address = $1; } }
if ($from_address =~ m/\S+NOSPAM\S+/){ $x = index($from_address, NOSPAM);
substr($from_address, $x, 6+1) = ""; printf("The real address is %s\n",
$from_address);}else { printf("No munge, just plain %s\n",$from_address);}
printf("\nBrought to you by the Truth In Mail Headers Foundation\n");
8<-----------------------here's-one-example------------------------------>8

- --
                             Michael Powe
            [EMAIL PROTECTED]   http://www.trollope.org
                         Portland, Oregon USA

------------------------------

From: "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 11:16:01 -0600

I essentially wanted a glibc based system that works very much like
slackware.   I tried installing slackware and then upgrading each piece of
the system (a minimal installation to begin with).  What I ended up with was
a system with X-Windows and various components taking a very long time to
appear (i.e. netscape and emacs) when my network is not up.  Various other
things were not quite the way I liked them.  I thought building my own
system and modeling it after many of the features in FreeBSD would be an
excellent idea.  In particular the ports collection.

Tom Veldhouse
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Pavel V. Zaitesev)
Subject: Re: Why I'm dumping Linux, going back to Windblows
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: 20 Jan 99 23:00:23 GMT

Arturo Garcia Ares ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: Stuart Harris wrote:
: Yes, but that's just better content; Windows help system IS MUCH
: better than man: not only better looking, but also better indexed and
: organized. If the bash man page were implemented as winhelp, we all
: would learn a lot more about bash.

: I use Linux, anyway ....  ;-)
man -k word
to search for contents, excellent for start off newbies leaning prompt.
info is waaay better then windows.
In windows everying is propietary and very strict where things go,
with Linux/UNIX you can do it all you want, move it anywhere, just make
sure program knows.
pavel
.*~.*~.*~.*~.*~.*~.*~.*~.*~.*~.*~.*~.*~.*~.*~.*~.*~.*~.*~.*~.*~.*~.*~.*~.*~.*~
"Nobody has a right to complain about your own code, but you..."
 -- Linus Torvalds

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Anmin Deng)
Subject: Re: Newbie question - interrupt handler trouble
Date: 21 Jan 1999 17:59:07 GMT

Alex Bolenok ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: ...
: When I read this flag one time, it's OK but when i try to do it in a cycle
: like this
: for (i = 0; i < TIMEOUT && ((flag & FIELD_READ) != FIELD_READ); i++)
: {}
: (no matter how long is it, even if TIMEOUT is 1), I get a segmentation
: fault. What am I doing
: wrong?

Is i defined as integer-type (long/int/short/char/...)?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Adrian 'Dagurashibanipal' von Bidder)
Subject: Re: Re: Will 2.2.x support removable medias better?
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 18:01:02 GMT

On Thu, 21 Jan 1999 11:16:30 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dietmar
Kling) wrote:

>On Tue, 19 Jan 1999 07:22:54 +0100, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
>There _are_ ways as far as I know to detect if a user wants to change=20
>a cdrom / tape .=20
>In the IDE specs is a bit (in scsi too)  where you can check if the
>user has pressed the eject-button -> you could umount the mounted
>media. There is a bit for media inserted too.

I'm not sure about that, but I don't think that a press on the eject
button generates an interrupt - so it would have to be polled every
few seconds.=20

Anybody knows this for a fact or can contradict me?
--
                       Greets from over there
                       Dagurashibanipal

Nothing travels faster than light.
With, of course, the exception of bad news.     -- D. Adams