  Re: Shared library programming (Karl Heyes)

From: Philippe Depouilly <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.networking
Subject: [HLP] NFS lockd on linux 2.2.1
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 1999 09:51:20 +0100

Hi,

First : i'm french and i have a poor english, so.....

Second :

I have a problem on RedHat 5.2 with kernel 2.2.1.

I have mounted several directories on NFS from a Sun Solaris 2.6.

And i have this messages logging on linux :

Feb  9 09:28:36 goya kernel: lockd: failed to monitor 147.210.16.235

(goya is the linux client and 147.210.16.235 is the solaris NFS server)

i want to use nmh (xmh) to read my mail which is NFS mounted from the
server) and inc reply :

inc: unable to lock and fopen /var/spool/mail/root

the NFS directory allows rw and root access for the linux client

I can create and delete a file in the /var/spool/mail as user or as
root.

It seems to be a problem of locking file on NFS remote dir.

Do you have any idea how to correct this.

the kernel logs are not coming only from the nmh requests but from all
access on this directory.

Thank you,

Philippe.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Piniek aka Piotr Ingling)
Subject: Re: Linux 2.2.x Zipdrive configuration
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 1999 21:48:33 GMT

Dnia 7 Feb 1999 20:32:04 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Isaac Stclair)
napisał(a):

>I've just installed kernel 2.2.1 on my Redhat 5.2 system.  I've gotten
>everything to work except for my zip drive.  I'm trying to use the new
>drivers for the zipdrive (imm)  I'm obviously missing something.  I'm
>using a parallel port Zip drive.  What am I missing? I would guess
>something is not enabled in the kernel.

And are you sure you have the Zip Plus drive? If not, use ppa - imm won't work
with oridinary Zips.
Otherwise, check if you enabled parallel port support. It's difficult to guess
what's wrong unless you give us the error messages drivers are producing.

                         Piotr Ingling

                e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Yi Cao" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Printer problem with 2.2.1 kernel
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 09:59:22 -0000

P Wong wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>I just compiled the 2.2.1 kernel and I can't use the printer. I'm new to
>this kernel thing so I problably forgot to mark something necessary for
>using the printer. It worked on the 2.0.34 kernel.The config file is
>attached

You may need changing port lp1 to lp0.

 Dr. Yi Cao

 Control Systems Research               Tel: +00 44 (0)116 252 2567
 Department of Engineering                   +00 44 (0)116 252 2874
 University of Leicester                Fax: +00 44 (0)116 252 2619
 Leicester LE1 7RH, UK                  Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (kingman cheung)
Subject: extremely long shutdown time
Date: 9 Feb 1999 15:38:28 -0800

Hi all,

  I encountered this problem: the shutdown time for my linux-box is
very long, I think around 4-5 minutes (it was usually less than 30 sec. with
2.0.33 kernel.)   The steps that are extremely long are:
"saving the random seed", "Disable the ip4 forwarding", and "Stop the
kerneld".

  Anyone has a clue to it??

My machine is a Dell Workstation 400 (a dual Pentium II with a 2940UW
adaptor.)

  BTW anyone knows how to set the options in conf.modules to make
the 2940UW become "ultra wide" ??

 Thanks

--
kingman

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Isaac Stclair)
Date: 9 Feb 1999 23:39:50 GMT

That was the problem.  I didn't understand that the imm is for zip drive
plus.  I used ppa and it works fine now. Thanks!

                                        David St.Clair

: napisał(a):
:
: >I've just installed kernel 2.2.1 on my Redhat 5.2 system.  I've gotten
: >everything to work except for my zip drive.  I'm trying to use the new
: >drivers for the zipdrive (imm)  I'm obviously missing something.  I'm
: >using a parallel port Zip drive.  What am I missing? I would guess
: >something is not enabled in the kernel.
:
: And are you sure you have the Zip Plus drive? If not, use ppa - imm won't work
: with oridinary Zips.
: Otherwise, check if you enabled parallel port support. It's difficult to guess
: what's wrong unless you give us the error messages drivers are producing.
:
:                          Piotr Ingling
:
:                 e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

--
_______________________________
David I. St.Clair

------------------------------

From: David Wragg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Get ethernet address
Date: 09 Feb 1999 00:53:03 +0000

[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
> Does anybody know how to get the ethernet address of a network card in a C
> program on Linux? I have code that does it on Solaris but unfortunately all
> the header files needed aren't there on Linux.

Open a socket (any network socket will do), then do something like
(need to #include <sys/ioctl.h> and <net/if.h>)

   struct ifreq req;
   strcpy(req.ifr_name, interface_name);

   ioctl(socket_fd, SIOCGIFHWADDR, &req);

struct ifreq is defined in <net/if.h>. The MAC address will be
returned in req.ifr_hwaddr

Dave Wragg

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David T. Blake)
Subject: Re: extremely long shutdown time
Date: 09 Feb 1999 17:17:38 -0800

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (kingman cheung) writes:

>My machine is a Dell Workstation 400 (a dual Pentium II with a 2940UW
>adaptor.)
>
>  BTW anyone knows how to set the options in conf.modules to make
>the 2940UW become "ultra wide" ??

You don't. From
/usr/src/linux/drivers/scsi/README.aic7xxx

Boot or command line options.
===========
"aic7xxx=no_reset"
"aic7xxx=reverse_scan"
"aic7xxx=extended"
"aic7xxx=irq_trigger:x"
"aic7xxx=verbose"
"aic7xxx=pci_parity:x"
"aic7xxx=no_probe"
"aic7xxx=panic_on_abort"
"aic7xxx=dump_card"
"aic7xxx=dump_sequencer"
"aic7xxx=override_term:0xffffffff"
"aic7xxx=stpwlev:0xffffffff"
"aic7xxx=tag_info:{{8,8..},{8,8..},..}"
===========

You can read the appropriate README, but there
are no options about setting transfer rates. That
should be done by talking to the BIOS. I would
reboot and check the SCSI bios to make sure things
like Synchronous Transfer Negotiations are enabled.

--
Dave Blake
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Nikos Kolomvos <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: OOB problem
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 1999 14:44:25 GMT

Hello

I have two applications communicating with one another, one running on Linux
(Slakware, kernel v. 2.0.34) and one on Solaris.  I have used OOB messages to
implement a signalling protocol that regulates data flow between the two.
A SIGURG signal handler triggers the appropriate actions in each application,
upon reception of an OOB byte.

When the two communicate over a local network, everything works fine.

When I try to get them to talk over PPP and a telephone line (either leased
or dialup), which is what they are meant to do, a strange thing happens:
Right after receiving an OOB on the Linux side, the SIGURG handler is invoked
again (for no apparent reason) and since there is no other OOB byte waiting
to be received, recv() fails with an EAGAIN.  If another OOB arrives after
this has happened, it is simply ignored, the signal handler not being invoked
at all.  It takes yet another OOB to be sent to the Linux side (normal
in-band data sometimes does the trick too) to get things working again. Note
that the two OOB bytes may be sent with a considerable amount of time in
between, so this is not the case of two OOBs arriving in the same TCP frame,
causing the first one to go unnoticed by the receiver!

A probable explanation of why this happens may have to do with the fact that
the sending TCP will send more than one frame with the urg flag set, in order
to make sure that the receiver is notified of the existence of urgent data.
The receiving side, in this case Linux, is supposed to check the OOB byte
pointer in the frame, so that only a frame that references a new OOB byte
causes the interested parties to be informed of its arrival.  It seems that
the buffers involved in the communication over PPP get in the way and the
urg flag / OOB pointer get mixed up in some way, so that the receiving process
is notified twice for some arriving OOB and not at all for the following one.

Using tcpdump, I found that when the double invocation of the SIGURG handler
occurs, two successive packets are delivered with the 'urg' flag.  The first
one (obviously the correct one) contains 1 byte -the OOB, no other data is
sent- and has the PUSH flag set (what on earth is the PUSH flag for anyway?).
The second does not have the P flag set and does not contain any data!
Furthermore, tcpdump reports   urg 1   for the first packet and   urg 0
for the second - I am not sure if 0 and 1 refer to the length of the OOB, its
position, or something else.

Could this be a bug in the Linux TCP stack? (nothing of the kind was ever
observed on my Solaris client)
Does anyone know a solution to my problem?
If anyone does, please post an answer to this message, or mail me directly
at  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Thanks!

Nikos Kolomvos

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Johnson)
Subject: Re: 2.2.1 and modules -- modules.dep is empty
Date: 4 Feb 1999 08:07:42 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Robert Hamilton) writes:
> On 02 Feb 1999 20:38:12 -0700, Joe Pfeiffer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>I haven't been able to get modules to work with 2.2.1.  I have
>>modutils 2.1.121; I compiled and brought up a version of 2.2.1
>>without modules, and built modutils with that running.
>>
>>But, at boot time, depmod -a is leaving /lib/modules/2.2.1/modules.dep
>>empty.  As you can imagine, everything is down hill after that!  I
>>could use any suggestions anybody might have as to where to look for
>>my error...
>
> A shot in the dark, but did you try "depmod -av 2.2.1" instead
> of just "depmod -a"?
>                            -- Robert

I had the same problem on my system when I upgraded to 2.2.1. I 'straced'
it down to a line in /etc/conf.modules which had a 'path=/usr/local/etc'
statement from a previous module installation. Something has apparently
changed in the new depmod that causes it not to look in /lib/modules
if it finds a path in the config file (or at least that's my guess.)
After I removed it, depmod -a worked fine. Just a possibility...
--
                                      ...Bob Johnson
                                      rdj(at)oro.net

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dave Platt)
Crossposted-To: linux.dev.kernel,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: K6-400 "kernel paging request" errors
Date: 10 Feb 1999 02:27:03 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Jeff McWilliams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Might be a bad CPU, I'm running 100MHz FSB on a K6-2 300 using an Asus P5-A
>and have compiled the 2.2.0-pre5, 6, 7 kernels a couple times without
>trouble.

Same combination here - and it works very reliably for me.  I've been
running this configuration since late October and it's been
essentially trouble-free.

I did decide to spring for PC-100 SDRAM DIMMs from a "first tier"
vendor (Micron).  I'd heard that some of the second- and third-tier
memory out there in the marketplace can be of marginal reliability,
and I've had enough difficulties with slightly-flaky memory in the
past that I decided to spend the extra few dollars on a name-brand type.

Whether for this reason, or because I'm just lucky otherwise, the
system has been solid.  The only trouble I had during initial startup
was some system lockups while installing... this turned out to be due
to the Mylex FlashPoint BT SCSI controller I was using (either
defective, or incompatible with the ASUS motherboard or its chipset).
Mylex was kind enough to swap this controller for one of their
"MultiMaster" models at no charge, and the new controller fixed the
problem.

--
Dave Platt                                           [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Visit the Jade Warrior home page:  http://www.radagast.org/jade-warrior/

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andreas Mohr)
Subject: Re: Linux destroyed my DOS Filesystem
Date: 9 Feb 1999 08:58:55 GMT

Hubertus Kehl ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> Linux destroyed my DOS Filesystem

> It happened to me the second time. Linux destroyed my mounted DOS
> C-Drive.
> My System configuration is: K6-2-333, NCR 810 SCSI Controller, Kernel
> 2.0.36
> The normal DOS-FS mounted is 2 Gig in size, it has a Clustersize of 32KB

> (64 Sectors). I used Ghostscript to read a large PS file (from the DOS
> FS) and write
> resulting TIF files for each page onto the C-Drive.
> something like
> cd /dosc
> gs -sOutputfile outfiles -s...  infile.ps
> Afterwards some vital system areas of my Dos Partition have been
> overwritten
> (Boot-Sector, Format information, Main Directory ...)
The MAIN question is:
Is your FAT partition sda1 ???
If yes, then it is the mysterious "overwrite the starting data of disk
after MBR" NCR bug when handling very large (>50 MB) files.
Check your termination !!!
There have been numerous reports about that on the newsgroups.
I've had that problem once, too (Symbios 8751).
I wanted to extract a 50 MB ARJ file via DOSEMU from FAT16 ZIP to FAT16 hd.
I even was able to reproduce it. But unfortunately I cannot reproduce it any
more, as I fixed my termination and everything was fine.
AFAIK there have been several reports about 810, but other controllers weren't
mentioned that often.

I think I'll collect some data about those crashes in order to finally nail it
down.
Having the disk getting non-functional due to bad termination is one thing -
having it overwriting a vital part of the disk is another thing.
That should never happen regardless of how misconfigured the system
actually is !!

> Im suspecting either the Linux NCR SCSI driver or the DOS-filesystem
> code in the
> Linux Kernel or is it my fault by writing output of a Unix program to
> DOS ?
Yes ! The FAT driver seems to be involved into this mess somehow, too.

> Any hints on this problem ?
I even mailed Gerard Roudier about that problem, but he told me about bad
termination and apparently didn't investigate the REAL problem with bad
termination yet.
I consider mailing him again...

I'm pretty sure I don't read every report about such an incidence, but I
already know of about seven other people who have had the same problem !!!

--
Andreas Mohr

------------------------------

From: Andi Kleen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Calls for new security bits in 2.2x
Date: 08 Feb 1999 22:25:14 +0100

In article <79lrqc$72o$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
leslie barstow <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> In my brief foray into the 2.2.x kernel looking for the SECURELEVEL
> replacement, I did not notice any provision in the headers for user-level
> calls to set/clear the new permissions bits.  Are there any?

Seems your foray was too brief

% head Makefile
VERSION = 2
PATCHLEVEL = 2
SUBLEVEL = 1
% grep cap include/asm/unistd.h
#define __NR_capget             184
#define __NR_capset             185

-Andi

--
This is like TV. I don't like TV.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Timothy Murphy)
Subject: Re: Where to get 2.2 kernel
Date: 9 Feb 1999 15:39:38 -0000

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (David T. Blake) writes:

>Don't get the rawhide stuff. Upgrade rpms from
>updates.redhat.com or ftp.redhat.com - updates
>or standard rpms for Redhat 5.2

where exactly is the 2.2.1 RPM ?

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Michael Ferrera)
Subject: Re: linux on an overclocked PII
Date: 9 Feb 1999 15:54:08 GMT

Frank Hale ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: N1ho wrote:
: >
: > Even if the system were to run reliably at the increased speed (which, as
: > Michael pointed out, is rather unlikely), turning off DMA (either voluntarily
: > or involuntarily) is actually a HUGE performance penalty. Your disks would end
: > up running in programmed I/O mode (i.e., one interrupt for each longword or
: > so?), rather than doing a whole sector or string of sectors at a clip. So, your
: > CPU would be spending a lot more cycles servicing the I/O than it was before
: > and therefore the net ability to do useful work would decrease tremendously.
: >
: > Besides that, the fact that the DMA was turned off indicates that the system is
: > getting errors - are you sure you want to be running your system in such a way
: > as to risk data corruption?
: >

: Okay this message is generating too many responses. I switched to
: machine back days ago. I know that it was causing errors so I abruptly
: stopped it. Actually I had it switched like that for less than 15
: minutes.

: Everyone keeps saying switch it back like I commited some sin against
: Intel or something for overclocking one of there damn processors.

: I didn't think it would work perfectly anyway.

: --
: From:      Frank Hale
: Email:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
: ICQ:       7205161
: Website:   http://www.franksstuff.com/

: "I say line-ux you say lynn-ux,
:       whats the difference? Its still better than windows"

(*LOL*)

I think your taking this a little too personally.  You simply got good
advice ... dont take it too hard!  :-)

Michael
--
Michael Ferrera
Alcatel USA 1000 Coit Road  Plano, TX 75075

------------------------------

From: Karl Heyes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps
Subject: Re: Shared library programming
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 1999 17:26:16 -0500

XuYifeng wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am relate new to linux programming. currently I
> want to build a shared library, problem is the library
> need automatic init and finish function like DllMain
> function in WindozeNT which will be invoked at library
> loaded or freed ?
>
> Is there a shared library programming guide avail?
>
> any help will be appreciated,
>
> XuYifeng

If it's C++ lib just have a dummy class which has it's constructor
invoked. Not sure about just a C library.

karl