Linux-Development-Sys Digest #401, Volume #6     Sun, 14 Feb 99 16:14:34 EST

Contents:
  Re: Really slow tar (Chun-Chung Chen)
  glibc-2.1 compiled but crashed my System ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  none ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Looking for something to do (hwj)
  Re: restoring ext2 partition (Bob Nelson)
  Re: CIO-CTR 10 Device Driver (James Bean)
  Re: Why I'm dumping Linux, going back to Windblows (John Hasler)
  getting inode (Marx Rajangam)
  Re: getting inode (Villy Kruse)
  Re: getting inode (Alexander Viro)
  Re: Really slow tar (Andreas Jaeger)
  Desperate Newby ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: BreezeNet PRO.11 pcmcia support (Jens-Uwe Mager)
  Re: glibc 2.1 ;) (Robert Krawitz)
  Re: getting inode (Kalle Olavi Niemitalo)
  Clock Skew (Phalan)
  Re: [HLP] NFS lockd on linux 2.2.1 (Attila Karpati)
  Re: glibc 2.1 ;) (Andi Kleen)
  /proc/net/ipv6_route format (Dimitris Kontopodis)
  Re: glibc 2.1 ;) (Jack Howarth)
  Backport of large disk support? (Raphael Clifford)
  Re: Problem with autofs and local /home (H. Peter Anvin)
  Re: @@GLIBC (Andreas Jaeger)

From: Chun-Chung Chen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Really slow tar
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 1999 01:28:11 -0800

On Sat, 13 Feb 1999, Daren Scot Wilson wrote:

> Any good diagnostics suggestions?  Fixes?

Try removing "nis*" entries in your /etc/nsswitch.conf .

. Chung .

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: glibc-2.1 compiled but crashed my System
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 1999 00:37:15 +0000

Hi!

I just compile the new glibc-2.1 with

./glibc-2.1/configure --prefix/usr --e
make
make check

all without errors. :)

But make install fails on the final perl-script, which should check the install..
And from now most apps fails with the same error and the system won't start anymore.

hmm, don't know the exact output at the moment, but it was like ...

_dl_global_scope has different sizes in hared libryries
_dl_default_scope ->undefined symbol in shared libraries

I compiled the lib with egcs-1.1.1 and glibc-2.0.7pre6 on an i686-pc-linux-gnu -
Linux-2.2.1
Is this a known problem? I searched dejanews an altavista for this, but can't find
anything?

And...Yes I read the README, FAQ, INSTALL..... ;)

--
Thorben

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 1999 09:41:07
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.alpha,comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.m68k,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.powerpc,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.lynx,comp.os.mach,comp.os.magic-cap,comp.os.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.apps.comm,comp.os.ms-windows.apps.compatibility.win95,comp.os.ms-windows.apps.financial,comp.os.ms-windows.apps.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.apps.utilities.win3x,comp.os.m
Subject: none

s-windows.apps.utilities.win95,comp.os.ms-windows.apps.winsock.mail,comp.os.ms-windows.apps.word-proc,comp.os.ms-windows.ce,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.ras,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.tcp-ip,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.win95

Subject: FS:Various Apps

Hi,
We have for sale various apps for the PC.
All softwares with removed the protection.

3D Studio Max 2.5
3D Max Plugins - more than 200 (the newest ones)
Adobe After Effects 3.1
Adobe After Effects 4.0b
Adobe Font Folio 8.0
Adobe Illustrator 8.0
ADOBE PHOTOSHOP 5.02
Adobe Premier 5
ArchiCAD 6.0
AutoCAD 14
AutoCAD Lite R3
Boris FX 3.10
CANVAS 6.0 PRO
CASmate Pro v6.04
Character Studio R2
Civil/Survey 8.0
Corel Draw 9
Digital Fusion 2.5
Genius For Autocad R14 v5.0
LightWave 5.6
Macromedia Director 7
MathCAD 8.0 Professional
Maxon Cinema 4D XL 5.1
Maya 1.0 (include Artisan,FX)
Maya Manuals Rev.2
Mechanical Desktop 3.0
Office 98
Softdesk Architectural V8.0
Softdesk Imaging V8.0
SoftImage 3.8
SoftImage Manuals:
- Animation Manual
- Modeling Book
- Particle Manual
Solid Edge V3.0
Speed Razor Mach 3.51
True Space 4.0
ULEAD FX RAZOR 2.01
Visual Basic 6.0
Visual C++ 6.0
Visual FoxPro 6.0
Visual InterDev 6.0
Visual Source Safe 6.0
Windows NT 4 Server (Unlimited clients)
Windows NT 4 Workstation
WORLD CONSTRUCTION SET v3

and many anothers.

If you need full list,let us know...
Thank you !

------------------------------

From: hwj <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Looking for something to do
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 1999 11:24:47 +0100

I am studying computer science specializing in networking and is about
to do
my final assignment. I was wondering if there was something that needs
to be
done to Linux that would fit the bill.

The assignment is supposed to take 6 months to complete at 3 days
efficient
work pr. week. This includes writing a report. There has got to be a
fair
amount of programming involved, and the focus should be on networking.
I am considering to replace the routing database with a level compressed
tree, but i am afraid there is not enough work in that job.

Got any ideas?

Kind regards
Henrik

------------------------------

From: Bob Nelson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.hardware,alt.os.linux,alt.linux
Subject: Re: restoring ext2 partition
Date: 14 Feb 1999 04:17:59 -0600

In comp.os.linux.misc Juergen Heinzl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Renato Lukac wrote:
>>hi,
>>
>>Is it possible to restore an ext2 partition?
>>I accidently did an mke2fs on the *wrong* partition. /dev/hdd  (only
>>hdd1).

> I dare say forget it, as sad or terrible it is. You initialised all
> the information necessary to know which data blocks belong to which
> file and so on and so on.

I *once* did the same thing. On my multi-boot system (with 3,
count 'em, three versions of Linux), I was planning to run e2defrag
on my primary root partition, the one with /etc and all the important
stuff. Out of habit, I typed mke2fs /dev/hda5. For a split second,
I wondered why I didn't see the expected curses screen clear. Well,
there were curses to be had (but not from Mr. Dickey) when I realized
what I had done.

> You data is still there, so if there is some *very* important text
> file or such you can use something like bpe or some other hex
> editor to get it back, but else and with no backup ...

> Very sorry,

....however, because of an ``rm -rf / rite of passage'' incident back
in the ``early days'', a relatively fresh backup saved my bacon. The
awesome power of Unix and the complete trust that it places in the
user is a *good* thing. Sure, there will be the inevitable mistakes
and the attendent lossage of data -- but one must learn to develop a
mutual respect for a system that places so much respect in *you*.

          Bob Nelson -- Dallas, Texas, USA ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
      http://www.oldradio.com/archives/nelson/open-computing.html
``Those who don't understand UNIX are condemned to reinvent it, poorly.''

------------------------------

From: James Bean <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: CIO-CTR 10 Device Driver
Date: 13 Feb 1999 04:15:58 GMT

Firas Glaiel wrote:

> Hi,
>     I am looking for a Linux device driver for the ComputerBoards
> CIO-CTR 10 clock board.
>
> Does anyone know where I can find one?

Check out the Linux Lab Project at www.llp.fu-berlin.de.  If they don't
have it there is probably something that can be used as a sample.

Jim Bean

------------------------------

From: John Hasler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Why I'm dumping Linux, going back to Windblows
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 1999 05:00:45 GMT

Thomas Becker writes:
> But for me as a newbie a centralized documentation would be nice.

Install Debian, install the dwww package, and access all the documentation
on the system (man pages, info files, and everything in /usr/doc) via a
browser.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]            Do with it what you will.

From: Marx Rajangam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: getting inode
Date: 13 Feb 1999 05:40:24 GMT

 Hi,

  I am trying to get the inode of a file, given the file
 name. If anyone can direct me in the correct direction,
 it would be a great help...

  I tried using namei() syscall, but am having trouble with
 it. Is that I am supposed to do?

  Thanks for your help.

--
Marx Rajangam
Fisher 227, CS Dept,

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Villy Kruse)
Subject: Re: getting inode
Date: 14 Feb 1999 14:25:09 +0100

In article <7a3388$kmt$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Marx Rajangam  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  I am trying to get the inode of a file, given the file
> name. If anyone can direct me in the correct direction,
> it would be a great help...
>
>  I tried using namei() syscall, but am having trouble with
> it. Is that I am supposed to do?

Possibly, but 'ls -i filename' can also be quite useful.

Villy

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Alexander Viro)
Date: 14 Feb 1999 08:43:42 -0500

In article <7a3388$kmt$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Marx Rajangam  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  I am trying to get the inode of a file, given the file
> name. If anyone can direct me in the correct direction,
> it would be a great help...
>
>  I tried using namei() syscall, but am having trouble with
> it. Is that I am supposed to do?

        Use stat(). There is no namei() syscall and AFAIK there never was
one. namei() is internal kernel function, it's not exported to userland. If
ou are hacking on kernel itself - see fs/namei.c and include/linux/fs.h for
details on namei() and friends. If you are dealing with applications - use
stat() (see also lstat(), fstat() and readdir()).

--
"You're one of those condescending Unix computer users!"
"Here's a nickel, kid.  Get yourself a better computer" - Dilbert.

------------------------------

From: Andreas Jaeger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: 14 Feb 1999 12:44:20 +0100

>From the glibc 2.1 FAQ:

2.28.   Why is extracting files via tar so slow?

{AJ} Extracting of tar archives might be quite slow since tar has to look up
userid and groupids and doesn't cache negative results.  If you have nis or
nisplus in your /etc/nsswitch.conf for the passwd and/or group database,
each file extractions needs a network connection.  There are two possible
solutions:

- do you really need NIS/NIS+ (some Linux distributions add by default
  nis/nisplus even if it's not needed)?  If not, just remove the entries.

- if you need NIS/NIS+, use the Name Service Cache Daemon nscd that comes
  with glibc 2.1.

--
 Andreas Jaeger   [EMAIL PROTECTED]    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  for pgp-key finger [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Desperate Newby
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 1999 09:14:00 -0500

To all or anyone who replies; Thanks in advance !

1. Where can I find 3COM PCMCIA drivers for 5.2?

2. How do I chnage the display settings, i.e. colours, refresh rate,
resolution,..?

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jens-Uwe Mager)
Subject: Re: BreezeNet PRO.11 pcmcia support
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 1999 14:41:49 GMT

On Sat, 13 Feb 1999 00:34:46 +0100, Jan Fredrik Leversund <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>Anyone working on such a puppy? If not, anyone interested in helping out
>writing drivers for it?

I am already using this on my machine, this posting is by curtesy of slrn via
a Breezecom wireless network. I found out that the Breezecom PCMCIA card is
a relabeled Raytheon RayLink card, and there is a driver available for this card
from Corey Thomas ([EMAIL PROTECTED]).

--
Jens-Uwe Mager  <pgp-mailto:62CFDB25>

------------------------------

From: Robert Krawitz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: glibc 2.1 ;)
Date: 14 Feb 1999 10:53:18 -0500

Daren Scot Wilson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> > In a nutshell: It uses internal symbols of glibc (not only __setfpucw
> > but also __libc_init) and the install program has a hardcode
> > dependency on the linuxthreads version (0.7).
>
> Isn't this not unlike what Microsoft was accused of doing?

Well, not quite: StarDivision doesn't control glibc.  Microsoft's
accused of using special knowledge of their own API's.

--
Robert Krawitz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>          http://www.tiac.net/users/rlk/

--Eric Crampton

------------------------------

From: Kalle Olavi Niemitalo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 14 Feb 1999 18:23:08 +0200

Marx Rajangam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>   I am trying to get the inode of a file, given the file
>  name.

If the inode *number* is what you want:

#include <sys/stat.h>
struct stat buf;
if (stat("/your/file", &buf) == 0)
  printf("inode number is %lu\n", (unsigned long) buf.st_ino);

------------------------------

From: Phalan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Clock Skew
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 1999 17:08:03 +0000

Recently when I went to compile my kernel. I got an error message saying
something like this "Clock Skew detected. Your build may be incomplete"
and my kernel would not compile. I run win95 on the same box and I had
to change the daylight saving options as it was screwing with the
clock...this is what probably messed up my linux.
What can I do to fix it?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Attila Karpati)
Subject: Re: [HLP] NFS lockd on linux 2.2.1
Date: 13 Feb 1999 16:14:44 GMT

Hello!

There are same bugs regarding quota support in the kernel nfsd, i wrote about this to
Olaf Kirch, maybe he puts my patches into the source.

But still exist problems, especially if one of our Linux knfsd servers reboots, on the
Solaris and DEC clients (on Linux clients not) the .. in the mounted directory behaves
weird. umounting and mounting helps.

The knfsd writes many log messages i don't know what these mean:
fh_verify: grother/pafka permission failure, acc=1, error=218103808
fh_verify: uprog/sszoke permission failure, acc=1, error=218103808
tcp_close: socket already locked!
__nfs_fhget: inode 288983 busy, i_count=2, i_nlink=1
nfs_free_dentries: found imwheel/cfg.o, d_count=0, hashed=1
nfs_dentry_delete: imwheel/cfg.o: ino=288983, count=2, nlink=1
..., and so on.

I would be thankful if someone gave me hints about how to fix the remaining probelms.

Bye,
 Attila Karpati

------------------------------

From: Andi Kleen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 13 Feb 1999 15:55:33 +0100

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Andreas Jaeger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>> 2)  StarOffice - They knew that this would have problems,
>> it just plain won't run.  But then again, StarOffice has other
>> problems . . .
> StarOffice is broken.

Care to elaborate about the nature of the breakage?

-Andi

--
This is like TV. I don't like TV.

------------------------------

From: Dimitris Kontopodis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: /proc/net/ipv6_route format
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 1999 19:07:57 +0000

I cant figure out the format of the /proc/net/ipv6_route file.
Does anyone else know?
thanks
Dimitris
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jack Howarth)
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 1999 12:42:38 -0500

One thing that could cause the breakage is that glibc 2.1 now
is stricter about the internal symbols that can be accessed.
So if a program is using alot of internal glibc functions
they may have to be rewritten.

------------------------------

From: Raphael Clifford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Backport of large disk support?
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 1999 19:22:12 +0000

Is there any plan to backport the improved large disk support in 2.2.x
to 2.0.37?  It is very common to have >8gB drive for the new
installations and a pain for the uninitiated to get it to work at the
moment :).
Raphael

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (H. Peter Anvin)
Subject: Re: Problem with autofs and local /home
Date: 14 Feb 1999 20:09:14 GMT

Followup to:  <7a4mpm$47l$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
By author:    [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Craig J Copi)
In newsgroup: comp.os.linux.development.system

> > "pwd" is a bash built-in, so it knows how you got there.  "su", or "rsh"
> > don't have that information.
> >
> >     -hpa
>
>       So does this mean I'm stuck?  On the nfs server I have to keep the
> home directories in /home, export them from here, and not use autofs if I
> want to maintain similar looking directory structures across multiple
> machines?  Is there a simple work around for this that I'm missing?  This
> would seem like a big problem if I were using nis maps for autofs.

You're stuck.  There is no simple workaround.

        -hpa
--
"Linux is a very complete and sophisticated operating system.  There
are, and will be, large numbers of applications available for it."

------------------------------

From: Andreas Jaeger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: @@GLIBC
Date: 13 Feb 1999 21:35:14 +0100

 > Hi,
 > I have a Redhat 5.1 system + Glibc system
 > Recently I've noticed that all kinds of RPM's aren't functioning
 > properly because they fail to find symbols from libc.so, which
 > have a "wierd" @@GLICC2.0 suffix...

 > Can someone explain what is the meaning of this?
glibc 2.1 introduced symbol versioning.  The @@GLIBC symbols just show
that those RPMs were build against a glibc 2.1 with symbol versioning.

 > The current version of GLIBC I have, has no @@GLIBC2.0, should I get
 > a newer one?, If so, which? Are the older symbols still supported, e.g.,
 > If a shared object or a binary uses bzero instead of bzero@@GLIBC2.0,
 > will it still find it with newer glibc's?, Why was this done? How?

Let's assume that the semantics of bzero have changed between glibc
2.0 and 2.1 (that's just an assumption - it's not true).  In that case
glibc 2.1 would have two versions of bzero: [EMAIL PROTECTED] and
bzero@@GLIBC_2.0.  Your old binaries that have been linked against
glibc 2.0 and don't know of symbol versioning would be linked against
the old interface (bzero@@GLIBC_2.0).  But if you would compile a new
program against glibc 2.1, it would be linked against the changed
interface ([EMAIL PROTECTED]).

This was implemented with same magic;-) in the linker ld and the
dynamic linker ld.so.  For details you might want to read the section
"Version Script" in the ld manual or check the glibc 2.1 implementation.

Andreas

P.S. Here's a part of the glibc 2.1 FAQ:

1.17.   What is symbol versioning good for?  Do I need it?

{AJ} Symbol versioning solves problems that are related to interface
changes.  One version of an interface might have been introduced in a
previous version of the GNU C library but the interface or the semantics of
the function has been changed in the meantime.  For binary compatibility
with the old library, a newer library needs to still have the old interface
for old programs.  On the other hand, new programs should use the new
interface.  Symbol versioning is the solution for this problem.  The GNU
libc version 2.1 uses symbol versioning by default if the installed binutils
supports it.