From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Phil Howard)
Subject: Re: Will 2.2.x support removable medias better?
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 00:45:20 GMT

On Fri, 12 Feb 1999 15:33:28 -0500 Karl Heyes ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

| unmounting  causes flushing data back to the media, which it won't be able to
| do if some spoon has ejected the media.

For JAZ and ZIP that would be crucial.  For CD and DVD it's irrelevent.

If it were possible for a CD drive to signal the driver that it has been
manually ejected, then something to manage to get it unmounted, too,
and that would be useful.

For JAZ and ZIP and related devices, if the eject button can simply signal
the driver that a manual eject was requested, then something could do
the unmount and then do an eject, and that would be useful.

But can the hardware do that?

--
 --    *-----------------------------*      Phil Howard KA9WGN       *    --
  --   | Inturnet, Inc.              | Director of Internet Services |   --

------------------------------

From: Steve Bonds <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: raid 5 problems
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 02:50:11 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Uwe Fechner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]äm> wrote:

> but then i did the ultimate power off test.
> so raidstop is not executed.
>
> system comes up and checks all disks
> raidrun says: /dev/md0 is corrupt , run ckraid
>
> i run ckraid /dev/md0
> ckraid says: /dev/md0 is ok, superblock not updated.
> so i force ckraid to check the drive, (takes a long time)
> ckraid says: /dev/md0 is ok, superblock not updated.
>
> all data is lost (if there where som data, is only test)
>
> has someone a suggestion?

When your system starts up, the /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit file does a "raidadd
-a", which registers all the md devices.  Then it fails to complete the
"raidrun -a" since one of them wasn't stopped properly.  It never goes back
to stop the RAID devices before dropping you to a shell.

The problem is that the system lets you "ckraid" an actively registered
device, which won't work and creates some very puzzling error messages.
Remember all those warnings you saw in the documentation about this being
alpha quality, etc?  Here's one of the reasons.  ;->

Try a "cat /proc/mdstats" to see whether there are any raid devices currently
active.  If so, run "raidstop /dev/md<whatever>", check "/proc/mdstats" to
make sure there's nothing active, and then run "ckraid --force-check --fix".
It should be a lot happier now.  You'll need to re-run "raidadd -a && raidrun
-a" to start the raid devices.  Don't forget to e2fsck the device-- it'll
probably need it!  ;->

It's probably too late to help you this time around, but maybe someone else
will have the same problem later and stumble across this posting.

  -- Steve Bonds

PS: I might have the arguments to ckraid off by a little bit-- I'm not at my
Linux box right now to double check.  They should be very, very close, though.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Pavel V. Zaitesev)
Subject: Linux programming jobs?
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.networking
Date: 17 Feb 99 02:39:57 GMT

Hello, fellow linux hackers.
I'm currently looking for work, that involves linux/unix programming, but
can find none. All jobs here require degree and /or 5-10 paid work
experience. I am a little upset now, because local authorities changing
law locally to allow programmer to work for more hours, but I couldn't
find a single job. Would the problem be:
1. Bad resume
2. looking in the worng places
3. too dumb
I am 20 and abviously have no degree, nor any paid work experience.
I finished high school, I know linux/w95 well as well as C++, perl, Java,
Pascal, sh, bash. I know how to setup any kind of software. Able to
troubleshoot any software conflict. Currently I am working on a electronic
sales system.
Here in Victoria, BC. Canada, they are changing laws so that high tech
employees can work more, but I see no sign of shortage of computer
programmers. I applied at ~ 20 local places 2 interviews, one of them, was
promising, but no can do. It seems like many employers are arrogant.
I went to dice.com and hotjobs.com and they had few jobs, but most in the
states or other side of Canda(toronto). Most of them required degree or
large work experience periods. Should I even bother to apply?
What tactics should I use?
I do not know NT, but know Win32 programming. NT is way too expensive for
me, but I am willing to learn. Actually that where I concentrated my
efforts, to learn how to learn quickly...
So would you think that I should earn my money for education in Macs or
subway, or should I try harder? I am willing to move, but would company
pay for my relocation? I have no idea of how and where to look for
high-tech jobs. I wonder if you can give me any hints , like which way
should I direct my energy...
I posted to this group because most people here, may be working with linux
for a job.
Thank you for your time.
        Pavel

.*~.*~.*~.*~.*~.*~.*~.*~.*~.*~.*~.*~.*~.*~.*~.*~.*~.*~.*~.*~.*~.*~.*~.*~.*~.*~
"Nobody has a right to complain about your own code, but you..."
 -- Linus Torvalds                             http://victoria.tc.ca/~ws821

------------------------------

From: Martin Maney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Internal PCI modem
Date: 17 Feb 1999 02:04:13 GMT

Julian Robert Yon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> It wasn't! I built the system myself, but I was naive enough to take my
> suppliers word for it that the modem was "normal". It later transpired
> that they don't sell real modems. But they wouldn't, of course, tell me
> this when I first asked... And I don't fancy trying to get any money
> back for a modem that sat in a computer for three months, even if it was
> doing nothing. I've not bought much from them since then.

Pity, because getting them to refund your money for the misrepresented piece
of junk would be far more effective than dozens and dozens of letters of
complaint about these un-modems.  <shrug>

------------------------------

From: Peter Teuben <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SMP Support
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 23:51:27 -0500

Adam P. Jenkins wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rob Komar) writes:
> > Bucky4me ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> > : I recompiled my kernel for smp but do not know how to check if the OS see's
> > : both.  How can I do this?
> >
> > cat /proc/cpuinfo
> >
> > should show two CPUs.  Also, the start of the boot-up messages show
> > if both are recognized (they're probably stored in /var/log/messages
> > if `dmesg' doesn't show them).
>
> Also, try starting two CPU-intensive tasks at once when the system is
> idle, and use top to see if they're both getting close to 100% CPU
> time.  This is what should normally happen with dual CPUs.

OTOH two jobs with a healthy mix of CPU and disk I/O can step
on each others toes and you will find that running them in
parallel can be slower than running them jobs in serial !!!

This might be a bit worse for IDE than for SCSI.

- peter

------------------------------

From: Philippe Le Foll <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: rewritable cdrom
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 08:41:25 +0100

I have a rewritable CDROM and would like to
use it as a save device for LINUX, is there
some tools/driver to use it a normal disk
or even as a special tape ?

thank you

Philippe
--
La vitesse peut tuer: Utilisez Windows    (o^o)
======================================oOO==(~)==OOo========

------------------------------

Subject: Re: gdb for threads???
From: Arun Sharma <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 05:23:08 GMT

"James A. Risinger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> When is  gdb supposed to be able to support debugging threaded
> programs?  (Or is there a version that  already does this, and I've just
> been asleep.)

It already exists. Read the Linuxthreads web page or FAQ.

        -Arun

------------------------------

From: Rainer Scholz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: "No Available PTYS" with 2.2.0
Date: 16 Feb 1999 18:36:37 GMT

James Youngman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
%
% Works with them enabled on RH 5.2.
%
I guess, they patched $telnet, $ftp, $xterm, $rxvt ... to use the pty
multiplexer.

--

Success is achieving the top of the food chain

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter Samuelson)
Subject: Re: how to create new ptys and ttys?
Date: 17 Feb 1999 00:19:11 -0600

[Bob Berman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>]
> According to the documentation with the new 2.2.1 kernel, support for
> major 4 ttyp and ptys is gone. Now you need major 3 tty and major 2
> ptys.  How exactly do I go about creating them?

Any reasonably current linux distro should have had the new ones for
some time now.  Read Documentation/devices.txt for exactly what the
minor numbers are, then just `mknod /dev/ttypX c 3 X' for 0<=X<=15,
etc.

> Does this mean my old kernel 2.0.35 will definitely not work anymore?

Nope.  2.0.x uses major 3 and 2; it just also kept major 4 around for
compatibility.

> I don't trust 2.2.1 yet (especially since I've yet to have a
> succesful boot!) and would like to be able to boot back into 2.0.35
> if necessary.

Odd; I haven't had any problems with 2.2.x yet on the two or three
machines I run it on.  Of course, being chicken, I don't use any of the
frame buffer code, having had bad experiences with it back in 2.1.106
or so when it was still being merged in.  Then again I do use devfs and
(am experimenting with) lvm.

--
Peter Samuelson
<sampo.creighton.edu!psamuels>

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter Samuelson)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps
Subject: Re: cold.apps or cold.system for libraries?
Date: 17 Feb 1999 00:31:25 -0600

[Phil Howard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>]
> For discussions about the development of libraries, principly creating
> new shared libraries, which newsgroup would be more appropriate?
>     comp.os.linux.development.apps   ?
>     comp.os.linux.development.system ?

.system is mostly for kernel issues, so libraries belong in .apps .
The exception would be libc, since almost all user code (including
other libraries) uses it as the interface to the kernel.  Other
exceptions might be things like libproc and liblvm, since they too
provide interfaces to kernel functionality.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter Samuelson)
Subject: Re: Linux on AT&T 3430
Date: 17 Feb 1999 01:12:48 -0600

[Ole Petter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>]
> At work, I have an old AT&T (NCR) 3430 server.  As it is just sitting
> there, I figured I'd try to get Linux (RedHat 5.2) installed on it.
> However, I encountered a problem with the SCSI-card.  As far as I can
> tell this is a MCA-board, and NCR Unix reports it as NCR53C710.

RH 5.2 ships with a 2.0.36 kernel, which doesn't even have a
CONFIG_MCA.  Have you tried a 2.2.x kernel?  Actually, browsing the
source a little, it doesn't look like the 53c7,8xx driver supports
Micro Channel.  Perhaps the support could be hacked in -- if I read it
right, 3c509.c only needed 60 extra lines or so to support the 3c529,
all in the probe function.

From: Thierry PARET <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: How to create a new scsi driver?
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 08:33:46 +0100

Hello,
I'm quite new in scsi programming. But I have to develop an scsi driver
for some specific materials like cdrom juke_boxes.

I read the Howto scsi programming but I still have somme question.

The software to control the machine is already programmed by I must have
a device to access it.
How should i do that?

Thanks in advance.
Thierry PARET
email : [EMAIL PROTECTED]
web site : www.netlab.fr

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter Samuelson)
Subject: Re: Race condition in 2.2.1
Date: 17 Feb 1999 01:33:52 -0600

[Andrew D Lenharth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>]
> I seem to have run into a race condition in 2.2.1 It occured while
> transfering a file via ftp from my alpha.

> if some one could point me to the person I sould be reporting this to
> I'd appreciate it.

Depends on what sort of race condition you're talking about.  If you
have reason to believe it's the hp100 driver or the buslogic driver at
fault, check the MAINTAINERS file in the kernel source to see whom to
email.  If you don't know which driver to blame, try the kernel mailing
list at <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter Samuelson)
Subject: Re: X Windows mounting
Date: 17 Feb 1999 01:36:47 -0600

[Christopher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>]
> does anyone know if there is a GUI utilty in Slackware in X Windows
> to mount,unmount and format drives? Like in Redhat disk manager.

Try the Redhat disk manager.  Download it from RH. (:

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter Samuelson)
Subject: Re: How to create a new scsi driver?
Date: 17 Feb 1999 01:48:28 -0600

[Thierry PARET <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>]
> I'm quite new in scsi programming. But I have to develop an scsi
> driver for some specific materials like cdrom juke_boxes.

Is this cdrom jukebox a SCSI *controller* (i.e. a PCI card or whatever)
or just a SCSI *device*?  If it's just a device, you should be able to
access it using /dev/sg*, which give direct access to SCSI devices.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mike Dowling)
Subject: How do dynamically linked binaries find their shared libraries?
Date: 17 Feb 1999 08:55:41 GMT

I'm just curious.  Normally, this is the responsibility of ldconfig.  As
long as /etc/ld.so.conf contains the locations of the shared libraries, then
there should be no problem, or, at least, so I thought.

Old binaries linked to X11 libraries suddenly ceased to do so once I updated
to XFree-3.3.3.1, even though the new libraries had the same major and minor
version numbers as the old ones.  Notably, netscape and gnuplot could not
find the libraries.  With gnuplot, the problem was easily solved; simply
re-compile the binary.  With netscape, I could only tell it where the
libraries were by setting the LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable.
(Netscape then issued segmentation faults, so I had to re-install the
XFree-3.3.2 libraries in a subdirectory of the netscape directory!)

So, why, for example, could emacs find the X11 shared libraries, and gnuplot
not be able to do so?  The only significant difference bewteen the two as
far as I can see is that emacs was compiled about a year ago, whereas
gnuplot was compiled about three or more years ago.

Cheers,
  Mike

--
My email address [EMAIL PROTECTED] above is a valid email address.
It is, in fact, a sendmail alias; the digit 'N' is incremented regularly.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Nathan Myers)
Subject: Re: glibc 2.1 ;)
Date: 17 Feb 1999 01:14:03 -0800

Daren Scot Wilson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Lesson:   linux 2.2.1 (or 2.2.0) goes with and only with glibc 2.1,
>and older goes with older.  Don't mix 'em.

Politely: Bull.
Egcs bugs get fixed, gcc-2.8.x bugs don't.  Build anything with gcc-2.8.x
and you're all on your own.  Thousands upon thousands of us are using
2.2.x with glibc 2.0.x, both built with egcs.

--
Nathan Myers
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://www.cantrip.org/

------------------------------

From: Andre Fachat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.misc,linux.dev.c-programming,linux.dev.serial
Subject: Re: C Programming for ISA Card
Date: 16 Feb 1999 15:41:00 GMT

In comp.os.linux.development.system mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Can anyone provide programming examples, documentation or other advise that
> > may be of benefit to me?
> >
> > Thanks
> > Rick

> Who makes the card? Is it a Keithley or a Computer boards product? Is it
> based on standard PIO chips? It should be easy enough to write a device
> driver to do it.

You don't even need a device driver. Just do an ioperm() and then
use inb() and outb() on the appropriate addresses in a normal
(superuser) program.

Heck, I'm using the printer port this way for a selfbuilt IEEE488
interface...

You have to know the hardware (I/O addresses and how to use them)
and cannot use interrupts from the user program.

Andre

--
Email address may be invalid. Use "fachat AT physik DOT tu-chemnitz DOT de"
======Fight SPAM = join CAUCE http://www.cauce.org======Thanks, spammers...

------------------------------

From: Julian Robert Yon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Clock Skew
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 10:20:28 +0000

Phalan wrote:

> Recently when I went to compile my kernel. I got an error message saying
> something like this "Clock Skew detected. Your build may be incomplete"
> and my kernel would not compile. I run win95 on the same box and I had
> to change the daylight saving options as it was screwing with the
> clock...this is what probably messed up my linux.
> What can I do to fix it?

I get the same result running multiple boxen with out of sync clocks off
a central (nfs based) filestore. I don't worry about it.

Julian