From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jim Seymour)
Subject: syscall()?
Date: 17 Feb 1999 19:46:24 GMT

Hi,

I'm trying to resurrect XView on Linux.  Amongst other things, there's
this little tidbit:

In a thing called "linux_select.c":

    /* Function for calling the select(2) system call in linux.
     * Linux doesn't have a syscall() function, this replaces it
     * for select(), fcntl() and read().
     * Kudos to Rick Sladkey ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) for suggesting
     * this method. */

This file doesn't compile.  Before I hare-off trying to repair it,
I'm wondering if the comments above are still correct.

I note that "man syscall" says there's no such thing, but grepping
for "syscall" in /usr/include seems to indicate that there is.  So,
does it exist?  Is it correct?  And where might I find the missing
docs?

Red Hat Linux 5.0, kernel 2.0.32, GCC 2.7.2.3.

TIA,
Jim
--
Jim Seymour                  | PGP Public Key available at:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  | http://www.uk.pgp.net/pgpnet/pks-commands.html

------------------------------

From: BL <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 2.2.1: strange SMP (dual celeron) startup msgs
Date: 18 Feb 1999 05:44:56 GMT

Paul Rubin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

: So what's the outcome?  Disregarding the confusing console log, does
: the system work?

yes!

:  How long does it take to do a kernel compile
: compared to a single cpu?  Enquiring minds...

man, you're going to be green with envy ;-)  I beat the 2 minute build ;-)
and on the 2.2.1 kernel, that's impressive (I think).  it was 1:50 to build
"make -j2" on the dual 450 celerys.  The malaysia chips (boxed 300a) really DO
go to 450 (add some cooling and do the 2.2volt mod, first).

The chips costed about $99 each (they raised the price just yesterday since
they knew I was coming over to buy some) ;-)  and they're in very short supply
(the malaysia chips, that is).  with a pair of costa rica chips (the only
other place that manufactures them) I was only able to clock them at 337mhz.
still, at that rate, I could the 2.2.1 at 2:30 or so.

and from 1cpu to 2cpus, it was very close to 100% (like 90% or so).

(worth mentioning that this was on a fast disk array, running hardware raid).

--
AntiSpam: For email, change all 'zero' chars to letter 'o' chars.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Marco Anglesio)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: Linux programming jobs?
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 20:04:42 GMT

I'd also mention that you're in the capital of a province just coming out
of recession, with a government about to hand down a budget in the red and
no other industries, really, around.

The reason that you're having trouble finding a job in Victoria is because
there probably aren't many, and the ones that you are fighting for, you
are fighting for against an oversupply of UVic graduates.

I would try to take a job as a tech and work your way up. One does not
become a programmer in a day. Open source experience (putting together
projects, learning internals) will help. So will, sad to say, getting at
least a couple of years in university. Even if it has nothing to do with
programming at all, the existence of some university makes a difference.

marco

--
,--------------------------------------------------------------------------.

From: Joe Pfeiffer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Should serial device interrupts appear in /proc/interrupts?
Date: 17 Feb 1999 23:08:30 -0700

(almost forgot -- Linux 2.2.1)
It seems as if the answer should be yes.  However, my rc.serial file
contains

${SETSERIAL} /dev/ttyS2 uart 16550 port 0x3e8 irq 12

but my /proc/interrupts looks like

           CPU0
  0:   27692369          XT-PIC  timer
  1:      79980          XT-PIC  keyboard
  2:          0          XT-PIC  cascade
  3:    2189587          XT-PIC  serial
  4:     267087          XT-PIC  serial
  8:          1          XT-PIC  rtc
  9:          0          XT-PIC  serial
 11:      48797          XT-PIC  NE2000
 13:          1          XT-PIC  fpu
 14:     172726          XT-PIC  ide0
 15:          4          XT-PIC  ide1
NMI:          0
--
Joseph J. Pfeiffer, Jr., Ph.D.       Phone -- (505) 646-1605
Department of Computer Science       FAX   -- (505) 646-1002

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Felix Morley Finch)
Subject: Re: Bug in select? Behavior changes midstream
Date: 18 Feb 1999 07:32:15 GMT

On Thu, 18 Feb 1999 01:52:22 GMT, Alan Curry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> intoned:

>Now there are once again no writers on the FIFO. And here's the rule you
>apparently weren't aware of: when a FIFO has no writers, an EOF condition is
>placed on it. From now on, the FIFO will always be considered readable,
>because its EOF has been reached. That's why you are reading 0 bytes. A 0
>byte read is an EOF. The only way to reset it is to close all readers and do
>your RDONLY open() again.
>
>But you shouldn't do that, because there is a brief period of time between
>when you detect the EOF and when you close the FIFO that some other writer
>could show up and write something to the pipe. Then you'll close the reader
>and that data will be lost.

Ahhh.... it was the change from before reading anything to after that
baffled me.  I don't quite understand why there's no EOF condition
placed from the beginning, but I'll go find the FAQ and dig in.  I
wonder if I will remember this a year from now when I do it
again... :-)

Thanks very much.

     Felix Finch: scarecrow repairman & rocket surgeon / [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  PGP = 91 B3 94 7C E9 E8 76 2D   E1 63 51 AA A0 48 89 2F  ITAR license #4933

From: "Christoph Goos" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Unresolved symbol __ucmpdi2 in driver
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 07:49:08 GMT

Hello,

in a network driver I developed, I get an unresolved symbol __ucmpdi2
while doing something like that:

unsigned long long a,b;
a=20;
b=10;
if((a-b) == 0) {
        do something
}

I can work around this by changigng the if-statement to:
if(!(a-b)) ...

but for some reasons I would like to keep it in the first form.
Any advice what to do?

Thanks for any help,
Christoph

Christoph Goos <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> http://www.syskonnect.de
SysKonnect - The Server Connectivity Company

------------------------------

From: Karl Heyes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Problem with autofs and local /home
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 09:56:09 -0500

Craig J Copi wrote:

> In article <7a2oiu$lj2$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>         [EMAIL PROTECTED] (H. Peter Anvin) writes:
> > Followup to:  <7a2iea$igs$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > By author:    [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Craig J Copi)
> > In newsgroup: comp.os.linux.development.system
> >>
> >> I am using the latest autofs with kernel 2.2.1.  The users home directory
> >> actually lives in /export/home by I use autofs to "mount" this in /home
> >> (/export/home is then nfs exported and autofs on clients map them to /home
> >> also).  On external clients it works great.  On local clients it makes a
> >> symbolic as it should so
> >> /home/test -> /export/home/test
> >> Now I do the following
> >> root> cd /home/test
> >> root> pwd
> >> /home/test
> >>
> >> This is good.
> >>
> >> root> su - test
> >> test> pwd
> >> /export/home/test
> >>
> >> This is bad!  This breaks scripts (or GNU queue) that do things like
> >> rsh remotehost "cd `pwd`; ./runbinary_in_this_dir"
> >> I don't know why the two cases above are giving different results.
> >>
> >> Any help would be appreciated.
> >>

> > "pwd" is a bash built-in, so it knows how you got there.  "su", or "rsh"
> > don't have that information.
> >
> >       -hpa
>
>         So does this mean I'm stuck?  On the nfs server I have to keep the
> home directories in /home, export them from here, and not use autofs if I
> want to maintain similar looking directory structures across multiple
> machines?  Is there a simple work around for this that I'm missing?  This
> would seem like a big problem if I were using nis maps for autofs.

A feature was added to 2.2 to help with this facility.  The dentry scheme and
loopback (something like that!!, not the network interface) module enabled you
to mount certain directories in other areas.  I'll have to look at the details
but
this is what you want.

karl

------------------------------

From: Martin Recktenwald <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Long UID/GID and POSIX compliance
Date: 18 Feb 1999 11:11:33 +0100

Mark Tranchant <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> What's to be done, or am I doomed to run Windows forever on my x86 box
> here?

IIRC 32 bit uids/gids are likely to be added along the 2.3.x
development tree. Currently you have to live with 16 bit uids/gids.

   Martin.

------------------------------

From: Julian Robert Yon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Clock Skew
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 11:13:10 +0000

On Thu, 18 Feb 1999, Alex Rhomberg wrote:

> So here comes the command for the lazy. Just replace MY_TIMESERVER with
> the name
> of you central time source or NFS server and run :)
> echo '#\!/bin/sh\nping -q -c 1 MY_TIMESERVER > /dev/null && rdate -s
> MY_TIMESERVER' > /etc/cron.hourly/getnettime;chmod 744
> /etc/cron.hourly/getnettime
>
> I use this exactly to avoid clock skew warnings in make

Thank you kindly - will do!

Julian

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Mark Tranchant <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 11:24:35 +0000

^a byte^a 16-bit integer

Sorry.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (M Sweger)
Date: 18 Feb 1999 12:24:41 GMT

: Hmmm...  2:30 seems mysteriously fast.  I get 3:28.89elapsed for
: a "make -j2 bzImage" with dual 333 Mhz PII and an ultrawide
: 40 Mbytes/sec SCSI disk interface.

Just so you know that the UW SCSI can go 80 Mbytes/sec. At least mine
is cable of doing it. The only reason that the scsi has been limited
by Linux is that the I/O buss between the controller and the memory
is still 33mhz. Thus, why make it 80 mb/s when the adaptor card will
just be put into wait mode due to the I/O bus being so slow. Hence,
the closest match between scsi and memory bus is 40 mb/s.

--
        Mike,
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: David Kirkpatrick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: need help with kernel OOPS message
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 09:03:31 +0000

Do a find * -name oops* -print to find oops-tracing which will
give you some info.

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]  (Diego Betancor)
Subject: My first Y2K problem
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 15:34:31 GMT

Everyday at 3:05 am cron goes and runs
netdate -l0 times.cs.columbia.edu ntp0.cornell.edu jane/jpl.nasa.gov

 What was my  surprise that in monday I was in february 2036. After
some inspection columbia's clock gave me that date. cornell and nasa
didn't respond.
   Seems to me that 2036 maybe at the end of time_t and that cornell
and nasa discovered and shut down their clocks but columbia did not.
   As an after thought never use -l0 in netdate (so at least 2 clocks
have to give the date) and we will begin to see problems like this
more often from now on...

                        Diego

Diego Betancor @ Duo Business Communications
for email: dbetancor is my userid and my company's domain is duocom.net
** Do not send me unsolicited commercial e-mail spam of any kind **

------------------------------

From: Oliver Stahlhut <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Serious NFS bug in Linux 2.2.x (Solaris server)
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 15:20:46 +0000

Hi there!

Data written to a SUN Solaris NFS server by a Linux 2.2.1 NFS client can
be truncated.
I managed to find a reproducible test for this problem:

1.) Get jpegsrc-6b.tar.gz
2.) unpack it into an arbitrary directory on the SUN server
3.) issue "configure; make; make check" on the sources

What you will see is a) compilation errors of the jpeg utilities due to
a corrupted libjpeg.a, or b) segmentation faults at "make check". This
is only one example. It is not possible anymore to compile huge
source-packages on a Solaris NFS server. Usually generating libraries or
shared objects fails.

This problem only appears with the Linux 2.2.x kernel version. With
2.1.125 or 2.0.36 everything works fine. Neither it depends on the
system-release, or the compiler used for compiling the 2.2.x sources. I
tested it with glibc & libc5 systems, gcc 2.7.2.3 & egcs.

Linux & IRIX NFS servers work fine. I only have the problem when
accessing Solaris (2.5/.6) servers - unfortunately all the huge
fileservers in our institute.

Can anyone reproduce my problem ? ...

        Oliver
--
/*
      Oliver Stahlhut - Universitaet Hannover

      mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
      http://www.tnt.uni-hannover.de/~stahlhut/
*/

------------------------------

From: BL <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 18 Feb 1999 16:16:24 GMT

Douglas Jerome <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

: Hmmm...  2:30 seems mysteriously fast.  I get 3:28.89elapsed for
: a "make -j2 bzImage" with dual 333 Mhz PII and an ultrawide
: 40 Mbytes/sec SCSI disk interface.

of course we'd have to use the exact same kernel config options.  maybe I'm
not invoking stuff that you are?

I don't build ide cdrom or sound or linux-video.  I do a lot of modules (have
to - kernel size is getting up there...).  but I do include the mylex dac960
instead of standard scsi drivers.  and other stuff.

I guess if you mailed me your .config I could better compare apples to apples.

From: PFENNIGER Daniel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Serious NFS bug in Linux 2.2.x (Solaris server)
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 17:12:16 +0100

Oliver Stahlhut wrote:

> Hi there!
>
> Data written to a SUN Solaris NFS server by a Linux 2.2.1 NFS client can
> be truncated.
> I managed to find a reproducible test for this problem:
>
> 1.) Get jpegsrc-6b.tar.gz
> 2.) unpack it into an arbitrary directory on the SUN server
> 3.) issue "configure; make; make check" on the sources
>
> What you will see is a) compilation errors of the jpeg utilities due to
> a corrupted libjpeg.a, or b) segmentation faults at "make check". This
> is only one example. It is not possible anymore to compile huge
> source-packages on a Solaris NFS server. Usually generating libraries or
> shared objects fails.
>
> This problem only appears with the Linux 2.2.x kernel version. With
> 2.1.125 or 2.0.36 everything works fine. Neither it depends on the
> system-release, or the compiler used for compiling the 2.2.x sources. I
> tested it with glibc & libc5 systems, gcc 2.7.2.3 & egcs.
>
> Linux & IRIX NFS servers work fine. I only have the problem when
> accessing Solaris (2.5/.6) servers - unfortunately all the huge
> fileservers in our institute.
>
> Can anyone reproduce my problem ? ...

Yes, I had a probably related problem.  When compiling (g77) with a
2.2.1 linux SMP PII on a disk controlled by a Sun Solaris sparc, through NFS
all the compilations failed with core generation.  But when copying
the program on the Linux system and compiling it with the same compiler
worked fine.

 Dr Daniel Pfenniger                      | [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 Geneva Observatory, University of Geneva | tel: +41 (22) 755 2611
 CH-1290 Sauverny, Switzerland            | fax: +41 (22) 755 3983