Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 14:44:01 +0100
From: Erik Svensson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: POSIX.1 Shared mem support

Hi Folks,

I'm looking at doing shared memory stuff on Linux and it doesn't seem
to support POSIX shared memory. Is there any effort towards
implementing that or am i stuck with mmap?

cheers

Erik Svensson
Phlogiston

------------------------------

From: mvrao <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Kernel 2.2 on top of 2.0.36 installations
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 14:24:47 +0000

Can I just download the source for 2.2 and compile it ? Will it work
with apps and sys utilities from 2.0.36 ?

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 21:20:09 -0500
From: Gyepi Sam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ATAPI  ZIP drive problem....

How are you using fdisk?
How are you calling mount?
If you have any fstab entries for the drive, please post that.

The Iomega zip drives actually show up as the last partition on the drive.  I don't
know why.
In your case, you'd probably find it at

    /dev/hdd4

-Gyepi

------------------------------

From: paul@bartok (Paul Bristow)
Subject: failed gcc build
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 14:28:58 GMT

Has anyone managed to bootstrap gcc or egcs under 2.2.1?  I have a RedHat
5.1 system that has recently been upgraded to kernel 2.2.1.  I had
problems compiling some other compilers so I decided to bootstrap egcs and
then when that failed I tried gcc instead.  They both crash because of a
missing file xgcc.  I could find no reference to this in the INSTALL file.
I assumed this should point to the current C compiler - i.e. a starting
point to bootstrap from.  Hence I did a clean and then set xgcc to point
to my current egcs installation.  This gave a Signal 11: Internal compiler
error both with egcs and gcc.  This is not a hardware error - I've tried
it on several machines with the same setup and specification.
Any ideas?  Am I doing this correctly?
Thanks,

--
Paul C Bristow,
Dept. Computing & Elec. Eng. Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh EH14 4AS.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul McGrane)
Crossposted-To:
alt.society.underwear,comp.sys.mac.misc,comp.sys.amiga.hardware,fr.rec.voyages
Subject: Re: PROOF: Jesus *is* Lord of the Sabbath!
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 22:07:10 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Ed Rodda <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > I don't usually get in the middle of threads like this, but I just
> >can't help wondering how people can be publicly gay and also call
> >themselves Christian.
>
> Why not?  There's nothing in the Christian part of the bible, i.e. the
> New Testament, forbidding homosexual conduct. In fact, Christ makes no
> mention of homosexuality. But he did mention eunuchs; apparently he
> was big on eunuchs. I think Christ was gay; he seems to have liked the
> guys a lot; there's no mention in the bible of any girl friends.

Ahh this is awful..hehe....I'm surprised there aren't any responses after
it yet, maybe my news server is slow. :^)

I'd think in most countries people have a right to do whatever they like
and practice whatever religion they want to follow without having
strangers tell them they're not allowed. I apologize if I have offended
citizens of countries run by a ruthless totalitarian regime...

Anyway, is any of this really appropriate to the newsgroups we're in? I
mean, even a platform war debating the comparative merits of the
Macintosh, Linux, Amiga, and Underwear...would be more on topic. Is this
how far we've fallen?!

--

...Paul McGrane

*As always, my email is a fixer-upper*

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To:
comp.publish.electronic.developer,comp.society.development,demon.ip.developers,intel.managedpc.developer_support,it.comp.linux.development,linux.redhat.development,microsoft.public.access.developers.toolkitode,microsoft.public.accessibility.developer,microsoft.public.enable.developer
Subject: Money on trees (well web pages) 73055
Date: Tuesday, 23 Feb 1999 21:42:07 -0600

Click On This Or Cut And Paste Into Your Browser And You'll Be IN The Money !!!!!

http://www.oneandonlynetwork.com/welcome.htm?MID=50299

http://freedomstarr.com/?BL2073879

http://www.register-it.com/start.cgi?banner=ref7633e91b
Thats it now go make a million and give me some credit please.

2E

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dieter Rohlfing)
Subject: scsiinfo: defective list not more than 512 entries
Date: 24 Feb 1999 00:23:36 GMT

I have scsiinfo 1.7.

With the option -d (show defective list) the program shows two lists
with defective sectors of a SCSI hard disk (manufacturer defective list
and grown defective list).

Allthough the program shows the number of entries, it lists only the
first 512 entries of either list.

I studied the source of scsiinfo.c and found the location of the list
printing. Nevertheless I'm not familiar with SCSI commands and I don't
know how to get the next 512 entries (in case there are more than 512
entries).

In addition I searched for a newer version of scsiinfo, but I only found
version 1.7 or older.

Can anybody help? I want all (more than the first 512 entries of a
defective list) entries.

TIA.

Dieter Rohlfing

------------------------------

From: Remco van den Berg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ncurses4.2/egcs1.1.1/glibc2.1 compile problem
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 18:41:08 +0100

Dirk Lattermann wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I don't really know where to post this, but this might be a
> right place:
>
> has someone successfully built ncurses-4.2 with glibc2.1
> and egcs-1.1.1? Are there known problems?
>
> I had no difficulties with gcc-2.8.1 and glibc-2.0.6 but I
> want to upgrade.
>
> The problem seems to be the generation of ncurses/lib_gen.c by the
> shell script MKlib_gen.sh, using sed and gawk. The result
> looks seriously broken. See the excerpt at the end of this posting.
> What could be the reason of this? I'm using Linux 2.2.1, but I don't
> think this matters.
>
> Thank you and sorry if this is the wrong newsgroup. What would be a
> better choice?
>
> Dirk Lattermann

Hum, very strange. At the moment I'm building my own system and I didn't
have any problems compiling ncurses4.2.
I have exactly the same system as you describe, but also nothing more!
(I started the devellopment in an empty /chroot tree.)

So perhaps you have to upgrade your sed and/or gawk? Or are there
wrong include files included?
I have sed-3.02 and gawk-3.0.3.

Good luck,

-Remco

/***************************************************************************\
|*  UNIX is user friendly. It's just selective about who its friends are.  *|
|*            Please don't sent me any Microsoft attachments               *|
\***************************************************************************/

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 18:56:10 +0100
From: Jan Hlavaty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Crash on logout in 2.1.x,2.2.x

Hello,

I'm experiencing strange things on my RH5.2 system with new kernels:
Sometimes, when i try to logout (either from local console or SSH),
i get message "this is not a login shell, use exit" (which is obviously
not true).
Then, when i type "exit", my terminal gets flooded with lots of garbage
and local terminal
hangs...

Does anyone know about this? Any solutions? I'm a quite fresh linuxian
:-)

Jan Hlavaty

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Cornelius)
Crossposted-To:
alt.society.underwear,comp.sys.mac.misc,comp.sys.amiga.hardware,fr.rec.voyages
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 00:48:28 GMT

Ed Rodda <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote the following on 23 Feb 1999 13:32:37
-0800:

>[EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Cornelius) writes:
>
>> I don't usually get in the middle of threads like this, but I just
>>can't help wondering how people can be publicly gay and also call
>>themselves Christian.
>
>Why not?  There's nothing in the Christian part of the bible, i.e. the

"Christian part" of the Bible?  Take it as a whole or not at all.

>New Testament, forbidding homosexual conduct. In fact, Christ makes no
>mention of homosexuality. But he did mention eunuchs; apparently he
>was big on eunuchs. I think Christ was gay; he seems to have liked the
>guys a lot; there's no mention in the bible of any girl friends.
>
>>The Bible, where Christians base their belief, clearly states that
>
>Judaists and Muslims base their belief on the same bible.
>
>>same-sex couples (sexually-intimate couples), are completely
>>disgusting--an abomination to the Lord. In fact, that's one of the
>>main reasons Sodom and Gomorrah (spelling?) were destroyed.
>
>Interesting, you state this as a fact. Where's the archaeological
>evidence?

In case you hadn't figured it out, Christians believe the Bible.  This
story is there--why is evidence needed?

>>It's not really a narrow-minded issue, it's just the way we were
>
>Of course it's a narrow-minded issue, promulgated by narrow-minded
>people, such as yourself.
>
>>created. Now, sin has plagued humanity for so many centuries, it may
>>be easier for some to fall into perverted desires. However, God does
>>not change. And He also offers a way out.
>
>Apparently you have to be a Christian to find your way out, Muslims,
>Judaists and others needn't bother applying.
>
>>I'm not condemning. I also don't go around marching against gay rights
>>(or for them!). Just like I don't put people down for smoking. Hell,
>>I'm 40 pounds overweight--is that any less of a sin? What I'm saying
>>is, it really bothers me when people come across like they're proud to
>>be something that totally goes against God's design for us, and in the
>>same sentance declare themselves Christian. I just can't sit quietly.
>
>It's also against God's design for his sheep to eat lobster, clams,
>crabs, abalone and Canadian bacon. I hope you aren't falling for any
>of these perverted desires.  You'll never find your way out if you do.

As a matter of fact, I don't.

>--
>
>Ed

David Cornelius  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://206.251.85.126
Programmer Analyst for Loy Clark Pipeline, Beaverton, Oregon

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck)
Subject: Re: dial-in and RADIUS auth
Date: 24 Feb 1999 16:47:34 GMT

In article <7av8pm$1lo$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Raz Shlomovich) writes:

> I wish to turn my Linux box into a dial-in server.
> I wish to authenticate dial-in users against a remote Radius server.

Look for "Portslave" or the "Linux Router Project" on the web.
We used portslave for about two years here with great success
(finally switched because we got rid of our analog modems).

--
 09:45:00 up 1 day, 11 min,  0 users,  load average: 0.29, 0.08, 0.02

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Horst von Brand)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Glibc-2.0.112 Problem.
Date: 18 Feb 1999 23:34:33 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Juergen Heinzl wrote:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, David Taylor wrote:
>>I upgraded to glibc-2.0.112 and ended up (after 3 days) getting my
>>computer to work again... However, I can't recompile the Linux kernel
>>(2.2.1) [using egcs Feb08 snapshot] - it fails with undefined symbols in
>>network.a

>Cannot be a library problem, since the kernel does not make use of
>it; I'd 2.0.112 and now 2.1 so believe me that 8-)

Right.

>[...]
>>Now that is one hell of a lot of errors, but they are ALL referring to
>>skb_put and skb_push...

What happens is that some egcs snapshots do not inline some functions, but
the kernel (wrongly!) assumes that if you "extern inline" something, it will
be inlined allways, and does not provide the mandatory out-of-line version
anywhere.

Latest egcs snapshot (19990214) works again, but networking breaks big
time: 'ping localhost' gets just one answer back (2.2.1-ac6, egcs-19990214).

>You might run a find /usr/src/linux -size 0 first. Might be some
>object file got messed up and I cannot tell which C file those functions
>are in. It's really not easy to say what is going on and what is to
>blame, but take a look in /usr/src/linux/net first.

This is a good idea anyway, some previous reports were due to a *.c file
being replaced by a *.s equivalent, patch(1) left an empy *.c file around,
which make preferred over the *.s for generating the *.o. New versions of
patch(1) do not show this behaviour, BTW.
--
Horst von Brand                             [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Casilla 9G, Viņa del Mar, Chile                               +56 32 672616

------------------------------

From: Guillaume Proux <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Example of SIOCGIFCONF
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 21:24:07 +0000

Has anyone an example on how to use
SIOCGIFCONF ioctl?

Thanks!

        Guillaume

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Persistent sound driver problems in kernel 2.2.x
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 21:32:37 GMT

I just compiled kernel 2.2.2 and am very pleased with it, except that the
sound problems in the MAD16 code that I mentioned a while ago are still
persistent. Timidity still wants to play sounds at 4 times their normal
speed, though this only happens when you do it under ump in netscape. My
audio experiences are also still peppered with annoying pops and clicks,
especially when I start X or a graphics intensive program, or start a MIDI,
MP3, or WAVE player.

If anyone has any idea as to how to fix this, please don't hesitate to let me
know. Thank you.

From: d s f o x @ c o g s c i . u c s d . e d u (David Fox)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Why I'm dumping Linux, going back to Windblows
Date: 24 Feb 1999 15:10:08 -0800

Julian Robert Yon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Matthew Isleb wrote:
>
> > Can I ask what this obsession with the Office 97 file format is? I mean,
> > so you have to save files in an older format for portability, big deal.
> > Or do the hypothetical users you are talking about use 100% of the Office 97
> > features which would prevent the usage of another file format. Get real.
>
> And of course, Office is the only "Productivity Suite" I have used which
> can make a simple spreadsheet, a couple of charts and a 300 word report
> take up 3.5M of disk space. I think our friend is clutching at straws...

My understanding is that in the real world people will send you files
in Office 97 format which you are expected to be able to read.  I know
it sounds rude, but its true.
--
David Fox           http://hci.ucsd.edu/dsf             xoF divaD
UCSD HCI Lab                                         baL ICH DSCU

------------------------------

From: Tony <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.society.underwear,comp.sys.mac.misc,comp.sys.amiga.hardware,fr.rec.voyages
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 18:00:37 -0500

Ed Rodda wrote:
> Fine, Christians believe, I have no argument with that. But there's a
> world of difference between a belief and a fact. You believe God
> destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah, but your belief doesn't make it a
> fact. A small boy can believe there's a bogey man in his closet, but
> that doesn't mean it's a fact there's a bogey man in the closet. And,
> btw, you can't prove there is or isn't a bogey man in the closet any
> more than you can prove or disprove there's a God in heaven.

Email if you want facts. Otherwise, all you are presenting are your
"beliefs" and "thoughts". Nothing historical to "back" up what you say.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Steve A)
Subject: Re: Internet Connection
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 23:27:09 GMT

On Wed, 24 Feb 1999 13:20:15 -0600, "J. Lincoln Brown"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Cannot Maintain Connection to My ISP:
>
> pppd connect     'chat -v    "" AT    OK    ATDT##########
> ogin:-BREAK-ogin:  XXXX
> word: XXXX'    /dev/cua2    115200
>

> PPP OPTIONS:  crtscts
>                              defaultroute
>                              noipdefault
>

> tail -f  /var/log/messages
>
> chat[    ]: Serial Connection Established
> chat[    ]:Using interface ppp0
> chat[    ]:connect: ppp0 <-->  /dev/cua2
> chat[    ]:LCP: Timeout sending Config-Request
> chat[    ]:Connection Terminated
> chat[    ]:Recieve bit is not 8 bit clean:

Hmmmmmm. I remember this problem from a *long* time ago (BTW, you're
in the wrong newsgroup - try comp.os.linux.[answers|networking] next
time).

Check your modem speed - in particular, make sure it isn't changing
the serial port speed down to the connection speed. Make sure your
modem isn't using ^S/^Q flow control, or if it is and you can't change
it, use the asyncmap option (see man pppd) to escape the flow control
chars.

Finally, whack the debugging level on pppd right up, and have another
look at the logfile - you might get more clues.

Oh: one last thing. Make sure you haven't got an interrupt conflict on
your serial port. That can cause some decidedly weird behaviour.

--
Warning: end of message imminent. Stop reading now.

We operate a zero-tolerance policy on UCE and spam.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Tape still not working with ncr53c8xx driver?
Date: 24 Feb 1999 23:59:54 GMT

bill davidsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I've run both an Archive Python 4520 and an Archive Python 4320
which are DDS-1 scsi2 DAT's using kernels 2.1.132 & 2.2.1 with the
ncr53c8xx driver. These were mainly dumps, but i did do some restores
during some disk repartitioning. Also used tar to backup & restore a
dos partition. Have not had any problems. This is an abit ax5 MB with
64M & a P5-166 non-mmx. I have 2 scsi cards, an 810 and an 815 based
card. The disks are on the 810 type card and the remaining junk is on the
815 card - DAT drive, internal scsi zip, 2 cdroms & an external cdr.
Jerry