From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Villy Kruse)
Subject: Re: waiting for milliseconds?
Date: 4 Mar 1999 19:40:53 +0100

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Olav Woelfelschneider <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Shorter delays cannot be done with usleep().
>
>nanosleep() ?

Same thing.  The kernel needs a timer interrupt before checking if a sleep()
(nano- or micro-) is due to be completed.  And these timer interrupts uccors
once every 10ms or 100 times per second on standard Intel Linux.  Also, if
your process isn't the first to run according to the priorities, it must wait
for the other processes to finish their time slices in addition to the sleep
value.  That is one of the reasons Linux and most other unix versions are not
considered real time OS.

Villy

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Phil Howard)
Subject: Re: Any interest in a new POP3 server
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 1999 18:48:39 GMT

On Thu, 04 Mar 1999 11:53:17 -0500 Jim Abbey ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

| "Sidelines" long messages so that all the short ones can be downloaded
| without being blocked by Powerpoint presentations and the like.

How about an option to detach attachments and store them on a web page,
replacing those attachments in the messages with a link.  Security needs
to be considered, but I see some solution options to thus.

| Does not fill up /tmp with work files abandoned when users break their
| connections during long downloads.

I don't have this problem with CUCIPOP.

| Uses the same mailbox locking as sendmail and bellmail (i.s. NOT flock)

It needs to also support qmail maildirs.

| Reports activity to the command tail in the same way as sendmail so that
| a ps -ef can show what is happening.

Could be useful.

| If I get more than a handful of interested responses, I'll package it
| and publish it.

How about make it an integrated POP+IMAP server?

--
 --    *-----------------------------*      Phil Howard KA9WGN       *    --
  --   | Inturnet, Inc.              | Director of Internet Services |   --

------------------------------

From: Paul Flinders <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps
Subject: Re: gdb problems
Date: 05 Mar 1999 15:34:27 +0000

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter Samuelson) writes:

> [Screech <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>]
> > This may sound kind of goofy, but when debugging a C program with
> > gdb, the debugger tries to find the source code to strol.c, which I
> > don't have and really don't want.
>
> Doesn't sound goofy at all, assuming you mean `strtol.c' not `strol.c'.
>
> > I am running gdb 4.17 with gcc 2.8.1 under kernel 2.2.1 (RedHat 5.2).
> > Am I missing something that I need to do to disable this behavior, or
> > is that normal?
>
> I don't use either RH or gcc 2.8 (Debian & egcs here), so I can only
> guess, but your problem might be that RH ships libc with debugging
> symbols (gcc -g).  If so, gdb will try to find the source; otherwise it
> shouldn't.  So try stripping the library.  (How and whether to strip
> libc.so.6, and how to test the stripped version without hosing your
> system in case of failure, and how to replace the real one with the
> stripped one safely once you have tested it, are left as an exercise
> for the reader.)

AFAIK (I need to be at home, not work to verify this) gcc chooses
libraries with symbols if they are available _and_ you use -g as a
command switch when you link the program.

So, to use a very simple example

   gcc -g -o foo foo.c

will try to use libraries with debug symbols

   gcc -c -g -o foo.o foo.c
   gcc -o foo foo.o

will not (but you still get the ability to debug _your_ code).

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Phil Howard)
Subject: Re: Notice on blackdown.org
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 1999 18:51:45 GMT

On Thu, 04 Mar 1999 18:24:13 GMT No One ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

| I was looking at http://www.blackdown.org/java-linux/jck-status.html
| today and noticed that the only thing holding up the JDK 1.2 release
| is a kernel bug in the 2.0.x series.
|
| What bug?
|
| When it is going to get fixed?
|
| I need my java.

My guess is that 2.0.X will no longer see any bugfixes aside from major
security holes that might be found.

From: Gilles Tabary <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: gprof : I would like to learn how to use it.
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 20:31:02 +0100

Hello.

gprof is a profiler tool. It gives runtime information on programms : call
graph, time used in each functions and so on...

I would like to learn how to use it.

Is some boody knows an URL or anythig which can help me?
I do NOT want any URL pointing to linux/unix manual pages. I need somthing
like a guide.

I am working with Linux 2.0.35.
C++ programation
g++ compiler

Thank's to all.

Gilles Tabary
CERN
Switzerland

------------------------------

From: "Florian B." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Infos, Docs, Specs
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 1999 18:32:07 +0100

Hi, i want to build up my own little OS. But therefor I need information.
Could anybody tell me, where to get docs, infos or something else.
I need some docs about the PCI bus, system managment and so on.
Thank you !!

------------------------------

From: matevz bradac <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Mixed static and dynamic linking
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 1999 21:06:51 +0100

Hi,

I'm trying to link a program statically with libc and
dinamically to another library.

The problem is the following:
I would like the binary to be system independent, to be able
to run it on libc5 as well as glibc2 (thus, static libc linking).
But to be able to load the 2nd library I'd also need to link
the dynamic loader statically to my binary (or so I guess).
Whenever I try to do this (I compiled as a static library),
it gets linked, but when binary is run it says:
<binary name>: file not found.
When I less'ed the binary, somewhere in the beginning I saw an entry
/usr/lib/libc.so.1 (!) which is not really what one might expect (the
version 1 I mean).

Does anyone have a clue why this might be happening and
a solution if there is one?

BTW, I tried compiling on gcc-2.7.2, gcc-2.8.0, egcs-1.0.1 on RedHat,
Slackware && Debian.

Thanks a bunch,
matevz bradac

P.S.: if you respond, please CC to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 05 Mar 1999 18:28:43 +0100
From: Oliver Schersand <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Is anyone working on a JFS?

Jim Abbey wrote:

> Journaled File System, that is.
>
> As in AIX and HP to allow file systems to grow in size, span volumes,
> etc,etc.
>
> Regards,
>
> Jim Abbey

Hi,

  I'm working on such a filesystem, but beside of this major work i have
to earn some money. So the
  devellop speed is slow.... :-)

   Oliver Schersand

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.admin.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.misc
Subject: Re: booting NT & linux
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 1999 17:22:24 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andi Braun) wrote:
> How do I configure NT's bootmanager to start either NT on disk C: (or
> IDE 0, master) or Linux on D: (scsi, id 0)?
>
> Is there any chance or do I need to use Lilo?

No.  NT's boot manager will work fine.  What you need to do is set Linux to
boot from the SCSI disk boot sector and create a bootsector file for NT's boot
loader.  I have done similar things with multiple scsi and IDE installations
but haven't done this with a booting IDE disk but I think this would work.

First you need to disable the IDE HD in the BIOS (or better yet set SCSI to
boot) and boot Linux.  Then you run LILO to create a boot sector on your SCSI
disk (read the docs if you need to).  You then use dd to create a disk file
of the boot sector.  Substitute your SCSI drive device name where
appropriate.  dd if=/dev/sda of=/bootsect.lnx bs=512 count=1

Reset your bios settings and copy the bootsector file to your IDE drive and
edit boot.ini to include a setting for loading the bootsect file.
c:\bootsect.lnx="Linux"

Give it a try.

cheers.

From: Chmouel Boudjnah <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: AudioPCI97 drivers
Date: 04 Mar 1999 21:44:04 +0100

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Michael Gilfix) writes:

>     I've been searching for audiopci drivers for what seems like
>     forever. I > found the drivers for the development version of
>     the kernel (v2.0) but I want > to run the 2.0.36 or 2.0.35
>     kernel. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find a > patch. This
>     seems baffling. If the drivers are available for the v2.0,
>     shouldn't there be a patch somewhere? Can anybody help? Thanks..

Maybe with the OSSFree Driver :

        http://www.opensound.com/

--
MandrakeSoft                  http://www.mandrakesoft.com/
Paris, France                                    --Chmouel

------------------------------

From: "Richard Payne" <payner at timken dot com>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 16:17:11 -0500

>| I was looking at http://www.blackdown.org/java-linux/jck-status.html
>| today and noticed that the only thing holding up the JDK 1.2 release
>| is a kernel bug in the 2.0.x series.
>|
>| What bug?
>|
>| When it is going to get fixed?
>|
>| I need my java.
>
>My guess is that 2.0.X will no longer see any bugfixes aside from major
>security holes that might be found.

Ummm, no that's not quite right. In fact the 2.0.x series is alive and well.
There
is indeed a bug on the 2.0.x kernel that is causing problems with the Java
guys,
however I believe that a patch has been submitted to Alan Cox for inclusion
in
either 2.0.37 or 2.0.38.

Just because 2.2.x is out doesn't mean that 2.0.x is now old and unusable.
In
fact there is nothing wrong with the 2.0 series, and IMHO updating just for
the sake of updating is a waste or time (of course if there is a feature or
particular fix you need then it makes sense).

--
Rich Payne
(Speaking for myself, not my employer)

Looking for Alpha-Linux info?
http://www.alphalinux.org

------------------------------

From: Zhuang Hao <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Help !!!
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 1999 14:23:27 -0500

1. How to call a callback function of a process from kernel module ?
2. How to start a process (like fork+exec) from kernel ?
3. Where can I get the source code of pcap ? (Linux support it ?)

Thank you very much !

- Hao

            我仰望群山的苍老              我一人停在路隅
                他们不说一句话                倾听空谷的松籁
            阳光描出我的渺小              青天里有白云盘踞
                小草在我的脚下                转眼间忽又不在

From: "Keith Peterson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: Linux programming jobs?
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 1999 11:30:12 -0700

Sorry to say, but if you really want to become a programmer, you will have
to expand your Windows programming experience. If you are looking for
Unix/linux-only work, you are limited mostly to industrial and simulation
environments. My work currently involves programming on a three tier
environment - Unix, VAX, and Windows (mostly Designer/Developer 2000).

I am 28, with no computer-related degree (I have a technical certificate
that says I can fix TV's and VCR's). I have an MCSE certificate, which I
obtained by writing all 6 exams in a 7-week period. I got the job by a
combination of the following: I have 6 1/2 years in support/break-fix, a
couple years in networking. While working in support for my current company,
I became involved in a project to migrate a custom, critical application and
environment from Calgary to Edmonton. This migration involved UNIX and
Windows portions. It went extremely well, and the company asked me to join
their critical operations team in a support capacity (I was contracted to
them by a third party at the time - they wanted me to work for them
directly). I accepted. Our team then landed the opportunity to develop some
large, complex systems, and I've been programming ever since, my preference
being the UNIX side.

20, no degree, no paid work experience - it's not going to be easy. I'm in
Edmonton, Alberta, and your resume wouldn't make any short-lists here. I
can't imagine B.C.'s much different in that regard.

If you don't want to go the University route, consider a college or
technical school (like NAIT or SAIT in Alberta - don't know the B.C.
equivalents) - unless you'd like to start on the roundabout route I took, in
which case you should get in at a support role if your experience justifies
it. Prove yourself knowledgeable and talented, and you will move up
eventually.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andreas Dilger)
Date: 5 Mar 1999 19:35:33 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Jim Abbey  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Journaled File System, that is.
>
>As in AIX and HP to allow file systems to grow in size, span volumes,
>etc,etc.

This is really two different things - you are referring to the
Logical Volume Manager (LVM), an alpha version of which is at
http://linux.msede.com/lvm/
and it allows you to create LVs (partitions) on the fly and change
their size, and they can span disks.

The JFS allows you to extend the filesystem on the fly, and keeps a
metadata log which allows fast fsck.  I think there are some projects
which are working on this also, but I'm not up on the specifics.

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger   University of Calgary  \"If a man ate a pound of pasta and
                 Micronet Research Group \ a pound of antipasto, would they

------------------------------

Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux.slackware,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
From: "Tuomo O. Vuolteenaho" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Overclocking (was: Re: K6-2 and Linux, Are there any Bug?)
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 1999 20:47:15 GMT

I got that computer on my desk.  The modifications to the processor card
were made by my father -- he's a dentist and good with small drilling
jobs.  The slot 1 processors are from computernerd, each cooled with a big
fan and guaranteed to 464mHz. System has been tested to be stable (with
the right memory) to 103/504mHz.  We run Windows for days, and the
operating system turned out to be more stable higher the processor/bus
speed!  The plan is to keep it at 464mHz for Linux and hardware
reliability purposes.

------------------------------

From: Bill Jamieson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Anyone using poll()?
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 1999 12:52:54 -0800

==============4530DA665BD53D27EA41D844

We are writing c prog that requires polling of special device files.
The new poll() command will do it but the man page is rather sparse.
Anyone using it in 'c'?.

Bill Jamieson

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

==============4530DA665BD53D27EA41D844

begin:vcard
n:Jamieson;Bill
tel;fax:1.626.330.5266
tel;work:1.626.961.3691, x238
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://www.perrin.com
org:Perrin Manufacturing Company;MIS Department
adr:;;1020 Bixby Drive;City of Industry;CA;91745;USA
version:2.1
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:MIS administrator
fn:Bill Jamieson
end:vcard

From: "Richard Payne" <payner at timken dot com>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 1999 16:37:38 -0500

Read what Alan had to say. He didn't go into specifics, but you can get
the patch and look up what changed.

http://www.tux.org/hypermail/linux-kernel/this-week/0650.html

--

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: ~SnargleTooth Wonders 93275
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 1999 17:46:17 -0600
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps

Passwords are kick'n

http://sexshare.com/~stmonkey/password.htm

Top 10 Sex Sites exposed for your Enjoyment--==>

http://sexshare.com/~stmonkey/password.htm

o18<.YsfK,