From: Philippe Bourjac <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: FAT/VFAT FS-types not case sensitive?
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 1999 20:14:57 +0200

Il s'agit d'un message multivolet au format MIME.
==============1B7EBC2B1643306025C3F143

Hi everybody,

I think I have an answer :
The FS used by Win9x is CASE INSENSITIVE, only the DISPLAYED names are case
sensitive.
Let me know if it helps...

Joseph Sarkes a écrit :

> Greg White ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> : Chris J/#6 wrote:
> : >
> : > Hiya,
> : >
> : > Found what could be a possible bug in Linux's support for FAT/VFAT
> : > filesystems. If someone knows where the problem lies, or if I'm doing
> : > something wrong, please get in touch. Linux kernel version 2.0.35.
>
> I also have had case problems from time to time myself. My solution
> was to avoid windows and dos software to a greater degree. However,
> it seems that linux likes to use lower case letters in some applications
> where dos is using upper case. I also get weird problems from this
> using samba at times.  What would be really nice is if somebody really
> knows what is happening, and what the rules are, they could post
> what the things to avoid are, or how to configure to not have difficulties.
>
> : >
> : > I mount my Win95 c:\ drive as type vfat from fstab with the following
> : > line:
> : >
>
> : If you want the filesystem to be case-insensitive, try:
>
> : mount /dev/hda1 /c -t msdos
> This will kill the long filenames completely.
>
> --
> Joseph Sarkes                   mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

==============1B7EBC2B1643306025C3F143

begin:vcard
n:Bourjac;Philippe
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
adr:;;;;;;
version:2.1
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
end:vcard

==============1B7EBC2B1643306025C3F143==

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: You can now use Winmodems in Linux!!!!!!!
Date: 5 Apr 1999 09:55:49 -0800

On Fri, 02 Apr 1999 11:11:09 -0800, Nitin Raut <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
|Matt Freeman wrote:
|
|> Billy Moon wrote:
|> >
|> > I am currently working on a application that enables winmodems to
|> function
|> > in Linux. Anyone who would like to help test this app please contact me.

I did it!:-) I use VMWare ;-) Sure you need a dual PIII-500:-)

--
/-\/-\/-\/-\/-\/-\/-\/-\/-\/-\/-\/-\/-\/-\/-\/-\/-\/-\/-\/-\/-\/-\/-\/-\/-\/-\
|http://www.pacificcoast.net/~pavel/ - my webpage.                           |

------------------------------

From: "G. Sumner Hayes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Kernel 2.3 when?
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 1999 15:55:14 -0400

Phil Howard wrote:
> Actually, I hope it doesn't start for a while.  I'd like to see a
> period of discussion about new features and ideas for this new
> development fork _before_ it gets started.  That would not mean
> that developers can't start writing code and testing on their
> own.  But what it would mean is that people should talk about
> what they want to see for a while, and maybe that discussion can
> trickle through to the developers enough to make sure something
> really useful isn't missed this time around.

This has been happening on the linux-future mailing list for several
months now.  The idea is to sketch out what direction 2.3 development
will take before 2.3.x is opened.  Kernel hacker Rik van Riel is
running the list.  Presumably the ideas that cross it will be
propogated back to linux-kernel once it comes time to think about 2.3.x.

--Sumner

------------------------------

From: "G. Sumner Hayes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Crypto extensions - Doc ?
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 1999 16:05:49 -0400

"G. Letellier" wrote:
> Where can I find more doc for
> the Linux kernel crypto extensions ?

The international kernel (including crypto) is distributed at
ftp://ftp.kerneli.org

I don't know of a good FAQ/documentation project for the international
kernel.  There's some information in the distribution, but it's far
from plug-and-forget.

--Sumner

------------------------------

From: David Anderson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Stream Processing (provided by SVR4) for Linux?
Date: 5 Apr 1999 21:32:06 GMT

"SVR4 provides mounted streams and a streams processing module named
'connld' that we can use to provide a named stream pipe with unique
connections for the server."  - Advanced Programming in the Unix
Environment by W. Richard Stephens

Is there a similar module under Linux?

                  http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Frank v Waveren)
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 1999 23:49:38 GMT

You can't use a winmodem with vmware because vmware relies on the host
OS to use the hardware afaik.

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        [EMAIL PROTECTED] () writes:
> On Fri, 02 Apr 1999 11:11:09 -0800, Nitin Raut <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>|Matt Freeman wrote:

>|> function
>
> I did it!:-) I use VMWare ;-) Sure you need a dual PIII-500:-)

--

                        Frank v Waveren
                        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Craig Graham <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.help,comp.unix.programmer
Subject: Re: Programming tools for Linux/Unix: Editor, IDE, Frontend to GCC.
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 1999 22:38:16 +0000

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On Mon, 29 Mar 99 13:38:18 GMT, Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> |In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>wrote:
>
> |The emacs, make etc combination works fine if you are building system-level
> |software in character mode with little user interface but they fall down badly
> |for modern end-user applications. The important feature of the Windows IDEs is
> |the screen and report painters - usually database aware - which allow us to
> |put together user-friendly applications with a reasonable level of
> |productivity. Hand-carving such apps using emacs is a thankless task. There
>
> You mean you are lazy. I know the feeling. Visual editors give you less of

Tosser. Do you actually work in computers for a living?

> Good luck drawing your software, I'll write mine :-),

Obviously not.

>         Pavel

Craig.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher B. Browne)
Crossposted-To:  linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: GNU HURD filesystem - anybody familiar?
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 1999 02:03:58 GMT

On Mon, 5 Apr 1999 12:47:17 -0700, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
posted:
>I'm trying to recover some data from a  machine that shows this filesys.
>The o/s is unix system V, Release 3.2 v 2.0.  The people I got it from
>didn't know the root password, just a user account that can't do much.
>
>I'm trying to mount it from Linux 5.1, and can't seem to come up with the
>correct filesys description for it.

It is almost certain that the filesystem is *NOT* a Hurd FS; the number of
people running Hurd are almost certainly numbered under a thousand, and the
number of active developers is on the order of 20 or less.  A Hurd FS is
definitely not going to be found on a system running SysVR3.

(Aside: Note that people more often seem to run Hurd on ext2 than anything
else...)

It might be worth trying to mount the fs as "UFS;" it is about as likely
that you'll need to find some sort of security pursuit to acquire root
access.

-- Henry Spencer          <http://www.hex.net/~cbbrowne/lsf.html>
[EMAIL PROTECTED] - "What have you contributed to free software today?..."

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Colvert)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: RCS problem over NFS
Date: 6 Apr 1999 01:47:35 GMT

Hello,

I am currently having a problem using the RCS "co" command under RedHat
Linux 5.2 using an NFS mounted volume. Here is the physical situation:

I have four Linux boxes running RedHat Linux 5.2. The first one has all
the user accounts defined on it and the rest use Yellow Pages to get
user accounts from it. I have the "/home" partitions from the various
boxes NFS mounted by each of the other boxes. Here is an excerpt from
the /etc/fstab file of the first one:

/dev/sda1   /        ext2  defaults         1  1
[snip]
box2:/home  /home_2  nfs   rw,bg,intr,soft  0  0
box3:/home  /home_3  nfs   rw,bg,intr,soft  0  0
box4:/home  /home_4  nfs   rw,bg,intr,soft  0  0

I have my RCS archives on the first box. When I try to reserve (check
out) a revision from a machine that has the RCS partition as an NFS
mount, I successfully get a local copy of the file, but the RCS file on
the NFS partition has been wiped (a file of the correct name is there,
but it has zero length!) If I try to reserve the file from the machine
on which the RCS partition resides, everything works perfectly!

Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions as to why this is
happening and how I can fix this? Any help would be greatly
appreciated!

--
Paul Colvert
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthew D Allen)
Subject: Re: clone() creates zombies
Date: 5 Apr 1999 21:41:24 -0400

I've done some threading work in C, and if you're working in pascal, I can't
say for sure that you can do this, but you definately should be able to.

When a child forks off of a parent, (and clone is a type of fork) the parent
has to wait for the child to finish out.  When a parent dies without watching
for the childs signal, you can get a zombie.  In C, if I don't care what the
child is doing, then I just say (I think it's signal(SIG_CHLD, SIG_IGN);
for the parent to ignore the exit status of the child ... viola.  No zombies.
David Allen

--
http://opop.nols.com/index.shtml - Linux software development
There are three kinds of people:  Those who can count, and those who can't.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (adept)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.help,comp.unix.programmer
Subject: Re: CodeWarror for Linux (was: Re: Programming tools for ...)
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 1999 22:13:25 GMT

I have a bit of experience programming macs.  And I just gotta add my
two cents here.  Code Warrior and Power Plant are some of the worst
devleopment tools i've ever had the misfortune to have to use.
Thinking powerplant might actually be adopted on linux is so repulsive
that just reading it made me shudder.  Linux programmers are a lot
smarter than that.

On Tue, 30 Mar 1999 19:38:59 -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chris Johnson)
wrote:

> [...]
>>using gcc (or egcs?) as a compiler back-end. A full port of
>>CodeWarrior, including the MetroWerks compilers (Pascal and C/C++
>>and Java) and libraries will be available on Linux in Q4/99 as
>>a commercial packages (MetroWerks CodeWarrior Pro for Linux).
>
>   I love this, just love it. I'm there... they'll be covering linuxppc,
>after all this is _the_ biggest Mac IDE vendor in existence or that ever
>has existed. That's their home turf...
>
>   For starters, I want the IDE, because I know that they will be
>including a front end and text editor that works with the mouse and
>keyboard shortcuts the way I like it. There's _nothing_ out there
>comparable to even Simpletext as far as text selection and editing- that
>alone would be an incredible benefit and worth the $99, a $99 they have
>yet to get from me with any Mac tools.
>
>   Running gcc off this would be very reasonable: there are things I can
>do with simple little command line apps that I haven't done partly because
>I am using vi as the most Unix-like of a bad lot, and find it extremely
>awkward, distracting and disorienting. Putting it in the framework of
>Codewarrior IDE (and Codewarrior traditionally _lets_ you pick your own
>editor if you like, fwiw) would make this a lot more approachable.
>
>   Going further, do you know what that tossed-off word 'libraries' means?
>PowerPlant! Think GTK on steroids: the amount of classes for PowerPlant is
>just outrageous, and people make derivative PowerPlant classes all the
>time. This means several things...
>
>   -interesting flamewars about whether or not to fight adoption of
>PowerPlant (which probably won't be open source, but it's too early to say
>much about it)
>
>   -drastically more sophisticated X programs with consistent behaviors-
>and we have every reason to believe that Metrowerks will listen and be
>totally responsive to the needs of Linux developers, even if that means
>the option to totally ignore PowerPlant and go all GTK or something...
>
>   -98% of the Macintosh professional applications base ported to Linux
>with a trivial recompile.
>
>   *zoing!* Thought that might get yer attention ;) this is not a dirtbag
>company. These are seriously heavy hitters, with a history of great
>flexibility and responsiveness to their clients: they're a bit arrogant
>but by God they've earned it- I filled out a form to download a free
>Codewarrior demo and a Metrowerks rep emailed me _personally_ (partly a
>form-email but written above was an actual jotted note from a human sales
>rep- this, in answer to an automated free download?).
>
>   Things will get very political- but app-wise, this makes things VERY
>interesting. You've no idea how much professional Mac software is totally
>Codewarrior (basically, all of it), and it is _already_ possible to
>crosscompile to Windows just by checking checkboxes and using their
>libraries. The ability to do the same for Linux is not to be scorned...

Advertisers using spambots, please don't send to the following addresses:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED]
postmaster@localhost [EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Scott Lanning)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.help,comp.unix.programmer
Date: 5 Apr 1999 23:46:27 GMT

Michael Powe ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
:     Stephan> BTW, does someone else have these strange experience?
:     Stephan> Sometimes I am looking for hours or days for a bug,
:     Stephan> without any apparent progress. Then, when doing something
:     Stephan> completly unrelated (usually sports), it goes BANG and I
:     Stephan> do not even need to check the code to know what was wrong
:     Stephan> and how to fix it.
:
: Yes, this is very common in any endeavor.  It's always good advice to
: `take a break' when you're really stuck.  I know I've often had the
: experience of leaving off a project and going to bed; and then waking
: up in the morning & thinking, `Oh, yeah, that's what I need to do!'

The other morning I had no hot water. It was cold outside, so the water
was C O L D. When rinsing my hair, my scalp crystalizing, and I suddenly
solved a coding problem which I hadn't even been thinking about. Maybe I
had a Zen revelation, as the only thought in my mind was "oh! no! cold!".
Then again, maybe my brain was just overheated.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kendall Bennett)
Subject: mmap() and 'Page Cache Disable' bit?
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 1999 14:05:23 -0700

Hi All,

I have been having some strange problems with enabling write combining
for Pentium Pro/II chips (using the new 2.2.x MTRR kernel support) under
Linux, compared to our 32-bit DOS test framework. We do our core 32-bit
device driver development under 32-bit DOS, and then port those drivers
to other OS'es like Linux. I was having a problem under Linux with ATI
graphics cards because of write combining being enabled for the MMIO
register space for the card by the motherboard BIOS (the MMIO registers
on ATI cards live in the last 1Kb of the 8Mb framebuffer space). This
problem did not show up under 32-bit DOS. Our 32-bit DOS code runs our
code at ring 0, so I am able to directly modify all the MTRR registers
(to enable write combining) directly. However the wierd thing is that no
matter what I did when I enabled the write combing the performance did
not increase, and more importantly the ATI problem never showed up
either. Then I tried using a different DOS extender (which runs at ring 3
so I need to enable the write combing first before running this program),
and suddenly I had the performance improvement and the ATI problem showed
up!

When I finally tracked it down, it turns out that DOS4GW (being old and
pre-dating the Pentium Pro) was setting the 'Page Cache Disable' and
'Write Though' bits in the page table mappings for all the pages
allocated for our physical framebuffer mappings (bits 3 and 4 of the page
table entries). According to the i486 processor manauls, this is
necessary to avoid problems with MMIO register access due to caching. Now
the interesting this is that setting those bits has the effect of
completely disabling *all* write combing effects that the MTRR's provide.
I added some code to my 32-bit DOS libraries to walk the page tables we
just created and reset those bits, and now I get the performance
improvement I am expecting, and can reproduce the Linux problems in our
test harness.

Now the next interesting thing is that Linux (and Win32 and OS/2) appear
to always enable mappings with caching enabled, at least on Pentium II
systems (I have not checked on regular Pentium systems yet). Does anyone
happen to know if Linux checks the processor type when enabling memory
mappings, and if the processor is a Pentium or lower then it turns on
those bits for mmap'ed regions? Or are those bits always cleared? I
checked the mmap() man pages and I don't see anything that specifically
allows for caching to be disabled via an mmap() call (or perhaps I am
missing something?).

|      SciTech Software - Building Truly Plug'n'Play Software!         |
| Kendall Bennett          | To reply via email, remove nospam from    |
| Director of Engineering  | the reply to email address. Do NOT send   |
| SciTech Software, Inc.   | unsolicited commercial email!             |
| 505 Wall Street          | ftp  : ftp.scitechsoft.com                |
| Chico, CA 95928, USA     | www  : http://www.scitechsoft.com         |