From: "Stefan Monnier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Unix98 ptys and glibc-2.0
Date: 22 Apr 1999 21:29:39 -0400

>> And in the same vein, is it harmful to turn on Unix98 pty support in
>> the kernel if I don't have glibc-2.1 installed yet ?
> You cannot use them and so the main result is going to be a larger
> kernel; pain without a gain.

But if I don't plan on rebooting within the next year (while I do plan on
trying out glibc-2.1 during this time)...

        Stefan

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (ellis)
Subject: Re: 2.2.x + IPX
Date: 22 Apr 1999 17:44:55 GMT

In article <7fljgm$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Jens Decker  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>We have some machines with 2.2.0pre kernels based on
>SuSE6.0 which unfortunately have bugs in the IPX module.
>Is there a kernel working with the old set of modutils
>(->SuSE6.0) which we can use to mount our novell server?

I am able to mount Novell servers with 2.2.5-ac3.

--
http://www.fnet.net/~ellis/photo/linux/

------------------------------

From: Allin Cottrell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Building pgcc-1.1.2
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1999 22:52:17 -0400

Piniek aka Piotr Ingling wrote:

> >Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i486-linux/2.7.2.3/specs
> >gcc version 2.7.2.3
> >
> Is the 2.7.2.3 really supported - I'm afraid you need some newer one. Have you
> checked the documentation?

The faults occur at the bootstrapping stage, when pgcc is compiling
itself.  So the existing gcc version is irrelevant.  The same thing
happens when compilation is started using pgcc 1.1.1.

--
Allin Cottrell
Department of Economics

------------------------------

From: Josef =?iso-8859-1?Q?M=F6llers?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Lilo problem with SMP systems and Phoenix BIOS
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 13:33:25 +0200

Bill Anderson wrote:
> =

> Josef M=F6llers wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > Phoenix BIOS use the top end of base memory (640K) to store an "exten=
ded
> > BIOS data area". Among other things, the MP config table is stored
> > there. Since LILO assumes that the entire 640K are free, collisions
> > occur resulting in a corrupted MP config table.
> >
> > I have attached two patches, one for LILO v2.0 and one for LILO 2.1.
> > Werner Almesberger has these patches, too, but since he's apparently
> > very busy, and I'd like to have some additional feedback, I'm posting=

> > them here.
> >
> > In essence, LILO is split into two parts: the first stage loader,
> > together with its data structures, is left where it is. The second st=
age
> > loader, together with its data structures, is relocated to an unused
> > memory segment at 0xb000, i.e. just below the kernel load area.
> > This frees 19K for use by the EBDA.
> >
> > Josef
> > --
> =

> Josef, which version of the Phoenix BIOS are you seeing this with?

It says "Phoenix BIOS 4.0 Release 6.1.3.6", although the latter number
is our local release identifier.

-- =

PS Die hier dargestellte Meinung ist die persoenliche Meinung des
Autors!
PS This article reflects the autor=B4s personal views only!

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Linux for CompactPCI BUS?
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Pete Zaitcev)
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 03:39:17 GMT

>Does Linux Support Compact PCI bus?

>david Chen
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]

I do not know of any specific support. It will work as regular PCI,
without passive backplane hotplug. You also need a support for a
specific engine you are using. Your best bet may be a PC compatible.
I know for sure that Sun CP-1x00 series are not supported.

--Pete

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Kernel Problem (Signal 11)
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 12:24:10 GMT

I once read somewhere that this is almost always a problem related to faulty
hardware. too bad I dont have the URL now. I used to have this problem and
when I exchanged my memory chips with a friend the kernel compiled like
charm. Basically the article suggested you change your memory chips that
might have been producing an occasional bit error, disabling cache which
could be also faulty, and configuring the mother board for a lower speed
processor.

I believe if you search for "signal 11" specifically on altavista you'll get
enough documentation.
Regards,
A. Amer.

From: Chet Douglas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Sharing files with the serial port
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1999 22:29:28 -0600

Hello,
I have two Linux boxes connected via a null modem cable on the serial
ports (no modem involved).   What applications or commands will allow me
to copy/share files between the two (i.e. a cheap LAN)??? I think Lap
Link makes a product to do this but surely there must be some shareware
out there that will allow me to do the same!?!??!

Thanks for any help!
Chet

--
Chet Douglas
CRD Consulting - Custom Device Drivers and Software

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Petter Reinholdtsen)
Subject: Re: NFS fcntl locking fails (kernel 2.2.5 -> 2.2.2)
Date: 21 Apr 1999 12:35:58 GMT

[Petter Reinholdtsen]
> The following code fails when the file rests on NFS, and works if it
> rests on local file system.  The same test works if the client and server
> runs HP/UX 10.20, and if the client is Irix 6.5 and the server is
> HP/UX 10.20.

I just tested the program on a Linux client running kernel 2.2.3 against
HP/UX 10.20 server.  It works.  The problems seems to be on the linux
NFS server side.  Any ideas?
--
##>  Petter Reinholdtsen  <##  |  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Josef =?iso-8859-1?Q?M=F6llers?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 08:21:30 +0200

Rob Komar wrote:
> =

> Josef =3D?iso-8859-1?Q?M=3DF6llers?=3D ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) =
wrote:
> : This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
> : --------------02373531B2F937F22E79401D
> :
> : Hi,
> :
> : Phoenix BIOS use the top end of base memory (640K) to store an "exten=
ded
> : BIOS data area". Among other things, the MP config table is stored
> : there. Since LILO assumes that the entire 640K are free, collisions
> : occur resulting in a corrupted MP config table.
> =

> Hi,
> what are the symptoms of this trouble?  I have an SMP system
> with this BIOS.  I have had some problems with booting the
> 2.0.36 kernel (it hangs somewhere around the IDE/floppy controller
> setup), but it didn't seem to explicitely be a problem with
> the MP part of things.  The 2.2 kernels, however, boot without
> problem.

If you don't use SMP (as most people do with the 2.0 kernels), you'll
have no problems, since the MP config table is only examined in SMP
systems.

LILO has the following memory layout, as far as the top end of base
memory is concerned:
A0000 +--------+
9fc00 +--------+
9de00 +--------+
9da00 +--------+
9d800 +--------+
9d600 +--------+
9d200 +--------+
9d000 +--------+
      |        | second stage loader (8K)
9b000 +--------+

Some of these areas are not used when booting Linux. If the MP config
table happens to be inside one of these areas (e.g. the scratch space),
nothing bad will happen when you boot. We had this situation in a 4-way
with a Mylex DAC960 plugged in. As soon as we pulled the Mylex (as one
of our partners did: "Let's pull the Mylex in case it does something
wicked" B-{), the config table was overwritten by the file map.

The effect varies: in our case, Linux couldn't setup the APICs so
interrupts were not properly distributed and the keyboard controller and
the Symbios hostadapters refused to work resulting in a hang during boot
(the keyboard driver reported a "keyboard timeout" and the SCSI
subsystem also reported timeouts during probing).

You might try and boot DOS and run debug (e.g. from a floppy). Read out
location 40:13 (word size). It gives you the amount of available base
memory. 640K is 0x280. Anything below that spells trouble.

Josef
-- =

From: Mikko Hyvarinen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Problems with traffic shape
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 00:11:25 +0300

"Bernat Ginard Lladó" wrote:

> I'm trying the traffic shape kernel utility with a Fast Ethernet
> card but when I try to configure it with the utility shapecfg it
> complains with Operation not permited.
>
> I'm interested in know the reliability of the utility and if it is
> stable enough to use it how to configure it.

Documentation/networking/shaper.txt quite clearly states that the module
works reliably only up to 256Kbit/sec.

-Mikko Hyvärinen

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter Samuelson)
Subject: Re: Question: hacking fdisk to preserve a file?
Date: 23 Apr 1999 02:15:02 -0500

[<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>]
> Tell my why this won't work.  It seems to me that it should be
> possible to hack fdisk to preserve a single file during a
> repartitioning.  This would make partitioning and reformatting of
> single-drive, backup-less systems (such as most home systems) much
> less painful.  I speculate it could be done as follows on a system
> with one C: partition with Windows installed:
[snip]

It would work fine, assuming you had some way to keep files from
stomping on each other during the various steps.

It is, however, overly complex.  What exactly is it you want to do that
FIPS does not already do in a much simpler way?

--
Peter Samuelson
<sampo.creighton.edu!psamuels>

------------------------------

From: Sylvain FAVRE <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.neworking,comp.os.linux.security,comp.security.firewalls,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: HELP ON LINUX-2.2.4 and IPROUTE2 AGAIN
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 11:02:31 +0200

==============87D7859055AE495656DCF544

Do someone improved fast NAT on more than two interfaces ?

I try to do static nat on internet , I have two privates networks , one
DMZ , one internet access.

When I define the NAT rule , I have one problem

when the packet comes from the dmz , they are translate for all
interfaces . But I only want translate on internet interface. But when
the packet are going to the DMZ , only internet packets are translate.

I try two definitions :

ip rule add from XX.XX.XX.XX nat YY.YY.YY.YY table main
ip route add nat YY.YY.YY.YY via XX.XX.XX.XX table local

or

ip rule add dev eth0 from XX.XX.XX.XX nat YY.YY.YY.YY table main
ip route add nat YY.YY.YY.YY via XX.XX.XX.XX table local

where XX.XX.XX.XX is my adress on the DMZ and YY.YY.YY.YY is my adress
on internet.

Can someone help me ?

Sylvain FAVRE           [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

==============87D7859055AE495656DCF544

begin:vcard
n:FAVRE;Sylvain
tel;cell:06-61-12-94-57
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
adr:;;;;;;
version:2.1
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
x-mozilla-cpt:;-19392
fn:Sylvain FAVRE
end:vcard

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Waiting for Red Hat 6.0
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 09:22:06 GMT

First, why are you using such an old and out dated and *beta* kernel,
when a much nicer and newer one, 2.2.6, exists?  Also, I found there
is a step there is not mentioned in the readme for the kernel, and
only very briefly touched on in modules.txt, that can make a big
difference. First, is the problem that the

------------------------------

From: Gerard van der Sel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: modules
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 08:32:20 +0200

Ahmed Said wrote:

> hi there all,
>
>                 does anyone know a good source or refrence for writing
> kernel modules? can a kernel module execute a system call?

> Testing can prove the presence of bugs, but never their
> absence.
>
>                           Edsger Dijkstra
A good source for building your own device drivers is:
Linux Device driver (Alessandro Rubini, ISBN 1-56592-292-1)
As far as I noticed a module can do anything (mem control, io control
and interrupt handeling). So wath do you mean by a system call?
--
Met vriendelijke groet,

Gerard van der Sel
Mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
"De dinosaurussen hadden hun komeet, wij hebben de Windows computer" -
me
"The box said: 'install on Windows 95, NT 4.0 or better'.
So I installed it on Linux."

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Georg Acher)
Subject: Re: About jiffies
Date: 21 Apr 1999 14:19:41 GMT

In article <7fjof8$p0i$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter
Samuelson) writes:
|> [new.ccu.edu.tw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>]
|> > I'm reading one book about Linux Kernel, and it said that the
|> > constant HZ (<linux/param.h>) determines the frequency of timer
|> > interrupt.
|>
|> Yes.
|>
|> > When timer interrupt occurs, the handler will increment the variable,
|> > jiffies.  I heard before that 18.2 ticks equal to 1 sec.  But the
|> > default value of HZ in Linux on x86 is 100. Why ? Why not 18.2 ??
|>
|> Because 18.2 would be much too slow for many purposes.  For example,
|> task preempting only happens on timer ticks, and on many systems it
|> would be quite noticeable if that only happened twenty times per
|> second.  Also, many device driver timings are measured in jiffies, and
|> in some cases the resolution needs to be a lot better than 18.2 Hz.
|>
|> So what is special about 18.2?  Well, the BIOS sets up the clock chip
|> to that when you boot.  Your operating system is free to make alternate
|> arrangements....  (Then again, I'm not sure whether Linux resets the
|> 18.2 timer to 100 or just uses a different one.  The clock chip has at
|> least three different timers on it.)

Just for completeness: HZ is 100 on Intel boxes and some other Linux ports, on
the Alpha Linux port it is 1024!

--
        Bye
         Georg Acher, [EMAIL PROTECTED]