From: "Dan Miller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: socket prog: one more question (for now)
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 17:57:15 -0700

Okay, I figured out my problems and got my program working (tho I had to
use read() rather than select(), which may cause me problems later).

One last question:  What is the difference between using read()/write() on
a socket, rather than recv()/send() ??  Most of the examples that I see
use recv/send, but when I finally got my server working, it was with
read/write... data does seem to be moving both ways successfully...
Is there any difference that will jump out and byte me later???

    Dan Miller

------------------------------

From: Andrew Glikman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: The UNIX GUI Manifesto
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 16:00:43 -0500

"David M. Cook" wrote:

> I find these kind of essays where the author rants on and on about the CLI
> unix culture being a hindrance to Progress to be really, really, tiresome.
> No one is stopping these people from turning their ideas into Linux code,
> yet they prefer to torture us with their verbiage instead.
>
> Dave Cook

Reminds me of Stanislaw Lem (SF writer) who notes in _A Perfect Vacuum_,
"The writing of a novel is a form of the loss of creative liberty.... In
turn, the reviewing of books is a servitude still less noble. Of the
writer one can at least say that he has enslaved himself--by the theme
selected. The critic is in a worse position: as the convict is chained
to his wheelbarrow, so the reviewer is chained to the work reviewed. The
writer loses his freedom in his own book, the critic in another's."

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: kernel compilation error
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 1999 00:26:26 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David T. Blake) wrote:
> Sam Steingold <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> >with kernel-source-2.2.5-4 (the current redhat):

> >In file included from cpqarray.c:54:
> >cpqarray.h:34: linux/md.h: No such file or directory
> >/usr/src/linux/include/linux/blk.h:398: warning: `do_ida' defined but not
used
> >make[2]: *** [cpqarray.o] Error 1
> >make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.2.5/drivers/block'
> >make[1]: *** [_modsubdir_block] Error 2
> >make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.2.5/drivers'
> >make: *** [_mod_drivers] Error 2
> >
> >what's wrong?
>
> kernel headers are not installed.
>
> Try
>
> ln -s /usr/src/linux-2.2.5/include/linux /usr/include/linux
> ln -s /usr/src/linux-2.2.5/include/asm /usr/include/asm
> ln -s /usr/src/linux-2.2.5/include/asm-i386 /usr/include/asm-i386
> cd /usr/src/linux-2.2.5
> make dep ; make clean ; make modules ; make modules_install ; make bzImage
> --
> Dave Blake
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Got the same problem, but that didn't help. Any other ideas?

Steve

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David M. Cook)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps
Subject: Re: Any Comments About GTK and G++/CygWin for Cross Platform Development
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 21:58:49 GMT

On Fri, 23 Apr 1999 11:23:41 -0400, Jethro Wright III <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>    Folks:  I'm a newbie, but I'm definitely sold on this Linux
>stuf.  I'm exploring cross-platform development options and would
>like to use G++ on both sides of the Linux/Windows world.

I suggest you take a look at WxWindows.  I have not heard of Gtk being used
much for cross-platform development, and Qt is quite expensive.  Also, have
you considered Java/Swing?

See http://www.free-soft.org/guitool/ for links.

Dave Cook

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 1999 00:24:06 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David T. Blake) wrote:
> Sam Steingold <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> >with kernel-source-2.2.5-4 (the current redhat):

> >In file included from cpqarray.c:54:
> >cpqarray.h:34: linux/md.h: No such file or directory
> >/usr/src/linux/include/linux/blk.h:398: warning: `do_ida' defined but not
used
> >make[2]: *** [cpqarray.o] Error 1
> >make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.2.5/drivers/block'
> >make[1]: *** [_modsubdir_block] Error 2
> >make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.2.5/drivers'
> >make: *** [_mod_drivers] Error 2
> >
> >what's wrong?
>
> kernel headers are not installed.
>
> Try
>
> ln -s /usr/src/linux-2.2.5/include/linux /usr/include/linux
> ln -s /usr/src/linux-2.2.5/include/asm /usr/include/asm
> ln -s /usr/src/linux-2.2.5/include/asm-i386 /usr/include/asm-i386
> cd /usr/src/linux-2.2.5
> make dep ; make clean ; make modules ; make modules_install ; make bzImage
> --
> Dave Blake
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Same problem here. Tried that, no go. Any other takers?

I'm beginning to regret listening to the people who told me that compiling a
kernel is moronically simple.

Steve

From: Michael Hirsch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Kernel panic: LRU list corrupted
Date: 23 Apr 1999 17:35:33 -0400

I've been trying to get redhat 5.2 working on a system with a Cyrix
MediaGX chip (the fica Oasis Pro, to be precise).  I know that I need
the latest XFree, so after installing RH 5.2 I go to my local RH
mirror and start to download.  I should mention that I'm on a coble
modem (with a linux masquerading router) so my connect speed is pretty
fast.

Somewhere in the first 20 megabytes, or so (usually earlier) I get
Kernel Panic: LRU list corrupted
and the machine is sort of hung.  I can still switch VC's, but I can't
do anything else.  Nothing seems to show up in the syslogs about this.

I'm running the straight RH kernel which I think is 2.0.36.  I've got
a 3com 3c905 ethernet card.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

--
Michael D. Hirsch                       Work: (404) 727-7940
Emory University, Atlanta, GA 30322     FAX: (404) 727-5611

Public key for encrypted mail available upon request (or finger
[EMAIL PROTECTED]).

------------------------------

From: "G. Sumner Hayes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Trusted Linux
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 1999 02:35:25 -0400

Christopher Browne wrote:
> Sumner Hayes wrote:
> >This is a feature, IMO.  Read my other post to find out why.  I'm not
> >sure it's worth arguing any longer; we've each had a chance to
>
> I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this; breaking utilities
> that are currently widely cross-platform seems to me to be a bad
> thing.

Well, it's not a case of breaking copying utilities per se; it's not
wanting capabilities to be set unless the admin takes specific actions
to set them.  Currently, tar/cp by default clear the setuid bit unless
the admin gives special flags.  The problem is that the kernel can't
easily clear the capabilities in a caps-in-ELF setup unless creat(),
rename(), and other calls automatically grovel around in the ELF
headers and have parts of objcopy in the kernel to cope.  That's a
rather nasty thing to do (read: it won't ever get past Alan or Linus,
for good reason), so the proposals I've seen (including on linux-kernel)
clear the setuid bit without clearing the caps.  This means that you
have weird properties of a binary lingering in wait; it's not really
insecure, but it's a big administrative nightmare waiting to happen.

I can see the other side of the argument -- needing to upgrade backup/
restore is a pain, and not doing so causes a big administrative
nightmare -- but I think that a solution that allows the administrative
nightmare to be obsoleted is better in the long term even if it is
more painful in the short term.

Presumably, cp, tar, etc. would be enhanced to cope with capabilities
just as they now deal with special files, setuid bits, userIDs that
don't exist, etc.

> It sounds to me like the "addition of capabilities" will, "if we do
> #3," take a goodly couple of years to get implemented so as to have
> all the levels of things set up, from kernel (probably easy) to LIBC
> (likely not too hard) to FS (moderately hard), add in cp et alia and
> then on to Networked FS (quite hard to get both working *and*
> deployed).

Right.  Probably at least a year before regular bleeding-edge folks
will be able to play with it and another before Red Hat would consider
getting it.  Possibly longer.

In the interim, you can either use wrappers around your setuid
programs to drop their caps to a more reasonable level, or hack
important binaries (e.g. sendmail) to drop caps they don't need.  Just
doing this has the potential to make a lot of Bugtraq postings much
less scary.

The capabilities library comes with execcap (or similar orthography)
as a proof-of-concept for this approach.

> After all that is done comes "setting of default capabilities," and
> rolling it up into a distribution - for it to be useful, a
> distribution needs to be suitably configured to have appropriate ACLs
> and capabilities set.

Yep.  People are already working on setting up Red Hat and Debian
variants that use wrappers to execute all the bins that are currently
suid 0.  That ought to go a long way toward figuring out which
capabilities need to be set.

> >So a TOPS-ACL implementation wouldn't be something that I would veto
> >out of hand from a semantics standpoint, but I don't think that it
> >solves any real issues that fs-support doesn't and it's far less
> >clean.  I doubt Linus would allow it.
>
> Barring someone else coming out of the woodwork and doing an
> implementation (which would be an interesting idea, regardless, I'd
> think), "Linus wouldn't allow it" rather nixes this one.

Remember that
strcmp("I doubt Linus would allow it", "Linus wouldn't allow it");
isn't 0 -- he might.

> There was some discussion of the metadata portion of this on the
> Reiserfs mailing list a few weeks ago, primarily between Hans Reiser
> and Stephen Tweedie.  That's obviously not the security side, but
> certainly represents dealing with "So where does the configuration
> data go?"

Cool.  I'll take a look; I haven't caught up on reiserfs in a couple of
months (other than what Hans Reiser's posted to linux-kernel).

> >I think I've said everything I have to say at least once in this
> >thread, so I'll try to refrain unless a new topic arises.

This time for sure.

> Interesting discussion to be sure.

What you said.

--Sumner

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Segmentation fault
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 1999 06:52:05 GMT

OK, the best way to fix a problem is to fix it yourself.  The way I fixed it
is as follows:  The egcs binary distribution makes a directory called "g++-2"
in the /usr/include directory.  Remove and link the original "g++" directory
(I removed it and then linked "g++-2" to "g++".  Then I downloaded the zlib
"zlib-1.0.4.tar.gz" and compiled it and replace the old one, becuase anything
that were to be compiled with -lz (i think) would get an error about
conflicting libraries (libc.so.5 and libc.so.6).  Then I got "texinfo-3.12"
and compiled it and replaced the old one with the newly compiled one.  Next I
compiled egcs from the 1.1.2 source, and deleted the "g++" link in the
/usr/include directory before installing it.  Now the programs that are
compiled with g++ do not cause Segmentation fault errors.  I hope this works
for the rest of you who still haven't found the answer.

PS  The reason that I downloaded and compiled zlib-1.0.4.tar.gz was that it
was needed by texinfo-3.12, and texinfo-3.12 was need by egcs-1.1.2.

From: "Robin P. Reagan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Modprobe can't file module char-major-6...
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 23:04:13 -0600

Hi
I just upgraded my RH5.2 system from kernel 2.0.36 to Kernel 2.2.6 and
all went fine except for two things.

1) I can nolonger print from Linux! I have checked all the obvious
things. I can preint fine from my windoz partition.

2) I get the following message in the /var/log/messages file

Apr 23 22:56:10 phobos modprobe: can't locate module char-major-6
Apr 23 22:57:14 phobos last message repeated 2 times

What is the char-major-6 module used for? It isn't in the modules dir
and I can't find it anywhere?

I suspect that the two problems are related...

Anyhelp would be appreciated.

Robin.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lothar Werzinger)
Subject: Re: where to download free CORBA for Linux?
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 1999 10:51:53 +0200

Gary Momarison wrote:

> "Enosh Chang" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > Hi, all:
> >
> > I am a beginner of Linux. And I want to learn CORBA.
> > So, could you tell me where to download free CORBA for Linux?

One of the best (if not the best) free CORBA implementations is

TAO of Washington Univerity

http://www.cs.wustl.edu/~schmidt/TAO.html

Lothar

--
Dipl.-Ing. Univ. Lothar Werzinger
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]  (private)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lothar Werzinger)
Subject: Re: Audio filesystem ?
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 1999 10:55:20 +0200

Thomas Huber wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Is there an 'audio filesystem' for Linux ? With
> audio filesystem I mean to be able to mount an
> audio-CD and then see the audiotracks on the CD
> in .wav or whatever format.
>
> > mount /dev/cdrom/ /audio
> > cd /audio
> > ls
> track1.wav
> track2.wav
> track3.wav

I remember such a beasty was written for the ancient Amiga. Maybe
someone did a port?

Lothar

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Pekka Savola)
Subject: connect() hangs mysteriously
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 1999 08:15:56 GMT

Hi.  I have been experiencing the following very strange problem with
2.2.6 (and also previous kernels):

Sometimes (my guess is when there are a lot of connect() calls
simultaneously.. 30-40 perhaps) connections die very strangely _after_
that: you can't establish any TCP connection anymore.  Only rebooting
works.  ICMP works fine; I think UDP also works (or else I have a
really big dns cache).

Might this be a kind of anti-DOS or something?

II have two NIC's, one for the private lan (eth1; 192.168.1.2) and one
for the net (eth0; 130.233.25.176).  For some reason, all connections
from the server _seem_ to use 192.168.1.2 address.. Wouldn't it be
much wiser to use eth0's IP address?  Is there a way to change that?

Also, I'm using Ipchains 1.3.8, and I think this might be (partly) a
masquerading/forwarding problem.

As it happens, every connection from my masqueraded Win98 box works
fine despite the server having difficulties: only exceptions are those
that use identd (which is run on the server) or similar applications..
But this only slows it down a bit, doesn't disable connections
entirely.

So, the only thing affected seems to be connections from the server
which _seem_ use the local lan address to connect to remote sites.

If I take the local lan interface down with ifconfig after the crash,
it still doesn't work.

Does anyone have _any_ idea where to look for the problem or to fix
it?  This is getting very frustrating.

Here are some, hopefully relevant, parts of 'strace ftp ftp.funet.fi':
[192.168.1.2 int nic, 130.233.25.176 ext nic, 128.214.248.6
ftp.funet.fi]

Notes:  the non-working version freezes at connect() to ftp.funet.fi
Otherwise there doesn't seem to be much difference.

non-working connection:
=======
close(3)                                = 0
munmap(0x4000b000, 10652)               = 0
socket(PF_INET, SOCK_DGRAM, IPPROTO_IP) = 3
connect(3, {sin_family=AF_INET, sin_port=htons(53),
sin_addr=inet_addr("192.168.1.2")}, 16) = 0
send(3, "t\310\1\0\0\1\0\0\0\0\0\0\3ftp\5"..., 30, 0) = 30
select(4, [3], NULL, NULL, {5, 0})      = 1 (in [3], left {5, 0})
recvfrom(3, "t\310\201\200\0\1\0\1\0\2\0\2\3f"..., 1024, 0,
{sin_family=AF_INET, sin_port=htons(53),
sin_addr=inet_addr("192.168.1.2")}, [16]) = 130
close(3)                                = 0
socket(PF_INET, SOCK_STREAM, IPPROTO_IP) = 3
connect(3, {sin_family=AF_INET, sin_port=htons(21),
sin_addr=inet_addr("128.214.248.6")}, 16
======

And the working one:
=======
close(3)                                = 0
munmap(0x4000b000, 10652)               = 0
socket(PF_INET, SOCK_DGRAM, IPPROTO_IP) = 3
connect(3, {sin_family=AF_INET, sin_port=htons(53),
sin_addr=inet_addr("192.168.1.2")}, 16) = 0
send(3, "g\337\1\0\0\1\0\0\0\0\0\0\3ftp\5"..., 30, 0) = 30
select(4, [3], NULL, NULL, {5, 0})      = 1 (in [3], left {5, 0})
recvfrom(3, "g\337\201\200\0\1\0\1\0\2\0\2\3f"..., 1024, 0,
{sin_family=AF_INET, sin_port=htons(53),
sin_addr=inet_addr("192.168.1.2")}, [16]) = 130
close(3)                                = 0
socket(PF_INET, SOCK_STREAM, IPPROTO_IP) = 3
connect(3, {sin_family=AF_INET, sin_port=htons(21),
sin_addr=inet_addr("128.214.248.6")}, 16) = 0
<----- the non-working version froze here ------->
getsockname(3, {sin_family=AF_INET, sin_port=htons(1028),
sin_addr=inet_addr("130.233.25.176")}, [16]) = 0
setsockopt(3, IPPROTO_IP, 1, [16], 4)   = 0
======

Pekka Savola                    pekkas at netcore dot fi
---
Across the nations the stories spread like spiderweb laid upon spiderweb,
and men and women planned the future, believing they knew truth. They
planned, and the Pattern absorbed their plans, weaving toward the future
foretold.               -- Robert Jordan: The Path of Daggers

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter Verthez)
Subject: Y2K bug in strptime ? (libc5)
Date: 24 Apr 1999 09:41:33 GMT

I found the following peculiar behaviour in strptime.
Compile and run the following program:

#include <stdio.h>
#include <time.h>

int main()
{
  struct tm tmdate;
  char* date = "01/04/2000";

  strptime(date, "%d/%m/%Y", &tmdate);
  printf ("The parsed year is: %d\n", tmdate.tm_year);
  return 0;
}
The result will be:

  The parsed year is: 0.

Isn't tm_year supposed to be the number of years since
1900 ?  At least, that is what I found in "Advanced
Programming in the UNIX Environment", but the manpage
of strptime only says that tm_year is a "year".

Details of my system:
  - linux 2.0.26
  - libc 5.4.23

Best regards,
Peter.
Peter Verthez                           Software engineer
Email at work:                   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
      at home:(for life)        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
              (direct)     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
WWW:                http://gallery.uunet.be/Peter.Verthez
My posts are not related to any company whatsoever.