From: "G. Sumner Hayes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Compiling kernel w/ other than gcc
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 1999 15:26:42 -0400

William McBrine wrote:
> Just out of curiosity, has anyone here compiled a Linux kernel with
> something other than gcc (or pgcc or egcs)? And if so, what were the
> results?

The Linux kernel is written in GNU C, and AFAIK the only compilers
available for GNU C are gcc and its derivatives (which include pgcc
and egcs, probably others).  You can't build it with an ANSI/K&R C
compiler or other non-GNU C compiler.  Most important amoung
GNU C extensions are inline AT&T-style asm with GNU register
operators, attributes, _builtin_*, and some more common extensions
like the inline keyword.  Others are used as well.  Porting to
non-gcc-derived compilers would be extremely difficult.

A few of the early (0.96?) kernels could be compiled with g++, which
was not technically gcc, pgcc, or egcs but probably isn't what you
wanted.

--Sumner

------------------------------

From: Guillaume Thouvenin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Performance Counters and APIC.
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 1999 19:24:26 GMT

I would like to implement the management of performance counters
interrupts on a Pentium Pro. I encounter the following problem:

 To manage the interrupt, I need to configure the APIC. The APIC seems
be used only in SMP mode, though. The problem is that I'm in
mono-processor mode. Is it possible to use the APIC without choosing the
SMP mode during the kernel configuration or is it possible to recover
the counters interrupts without using the APIC at all?

--
__________________________________
       Guillaume Thouvenin

------------------------------

From: "G. Sumner Hayes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.misc,comp.unix.advocacy
Subject: Re: the ultimate OS
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 1999 15:20:19 -0400

"Vladimir Z. Nuri" wrote:
> I agree, writing code is hard work, and writing design is less
> difficult. but there are many hackers with no vision.

The problem, though, is that we see a new design for a new ultimate
OS here every 3 months or so.  They're often nearly identical to
what you propose.  Almost none of them go on to write a single line
of code, and not a single one has reached the "usable OS" state, let
alone even come close to a "as good as MS-DOS" state (yikes!).

Enough people have cried wolf that we're tired of hearing it.  We
obviously can't jump on board a new OS every 3 months and expect to
get somewhere, so you need to convince people that your design is
workable, better than what exists, better than the last 20 proposals,
and will actually get done.  You don't need mathematical proof of
that, but you do need to convince enough developers that they want
to work with you.  The best way to do that is to show them the code.
If you want to try to do it by proposing design documents, that's
fine -- just don't be surprised when they ignore you.

Aside:  If you want to use design documents to convince people, you'll
need to demonstrate a firm understanding of the field.  Your paper
doesn't address a lot of problems that object-system researchers
encountered and solved 5-15 years ago -- that doesn't instill
confidence in the design.  There are a ton of great papers out there
on the subject, and you really should read at least the surveys and
some of the in-depth ones before you try to jump in and design an
object system.

--Sumner

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Villy Kruse)
Subject: Re: uid and gid assignments as distributed
Date: 3 Jun 1999 09:38:09 +0200

In article <37560142$0$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Phil Howard  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Further, if an application needs a dedicated uid and dedicated gid,
>it would make sense to have them be the same value.

The xfs user id is actually created by an install script by the useradd
command and will get the next available user id.  So if user id 100 is
already taken it gets user id 101, and if that is taken as well 102, and
so on.  If you inustall the package Xfree86-xfs completely and remove the
user xfs from the password file. the install procedure might very
well assign a different number if you reinstall that package.

check: 'rpm -q --scripts Xfree86-xfs'

Villy

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matt Bartley)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps
Subject: Re: kernel vs egcs vs PentiumPro/II
Date: 3 Jun 1999 13:26:03 -0700

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Michael Meissner  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Kimoto) writes:

>> In article <7j55l2$6g9$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Matt Bartley wrote:
>> > Some time ago I read about a command line option to gcc and/or egcs,
>> > similar to "-v" but more verbose, which among other things shows all
>> > the the "-f<optimisation>" flags which are in effect at the current
>> > "-O" level.

>> This (undocumented) option is "-Q -v".

>Actually, -Q has been documented for some time, but it currently doesn't
>document that -Q and -v together print all of the options.

Ah, there it is in the egcs info pages:

`-Q'
     Makes the compiler print out each function name as it is compiled,
     and print some statistics about each pass when it finishes.

Previously I've only seen some `-Qn' and `-Qy' options, in the
``Options for System V'' section.

--
"When PCs run new applications successfully, most people feel relief
and almost pathetic gratitude - a standard of reliability tolerated in

------------------------------

From: "Selious" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: DMA question
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 1999 09:49:00 +0200

Hi, I read in a book that linux lacks FULL deployement of DMA use. It seems
that it supports std. AT DMA, and does not support the extended DMA
registers to address linear memory above 16 MB. Is this (still) true ??

In my book, I read something about applications having to move the memory
with the CPU to a buffer in this 16 MB region, afterwhich the DMA transfer
is executed....

Book: Linux Kernel Internals, second edition

Fragment (page 199):

In addition to the base address register, there is a DMA page register to
take care of address bits from A15 upwards. As this register is only 8 bits
wide in the AT, the DMA transfer can only be carried out within the first 16
Mbytes. Although this restriction was removed by the EISA bus and a number
of chip sets (but not, unfortunately, in a compatible way), Linux does not
support this.

Eeks, no wonder NT is 300 % faster... and sound on linux makes the system
slow..

Selious

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps
From: Michael Meissner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 03 Jun 1999 16:14:19 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Kimoto) writes:

> In article <7j55l2$6g9$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Matt Bartley wrote:
> > Some time ago I read about a command line option to gcc and/or egcs,
> > similar to "-v" but more verbose, which among other things shows all
> > the the "-f<optimisation>" flags which are in effect at the current
> > "-O" level.
>
> This (undocumented) option is "-Q -v".

Actually, -Q has been documented for some time, but it currently doesn't
document that -Q and -v together print all of the options.

Also if you use -save-temps (or compile to assembly with -S), the -fverbose-asm
switch will list all of the switches set in the assembly file for most
architectures (some don't configure what the comment character is for the
assembler).

--
Michael Meissner, Cygnus Solutions
PMB 198, 174 Littleton Road #3, Westford, Massachusetts 01886

------------------------------

From: "Selious" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux development tools...
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 1999 09:53:31 +0200

>I come from the Microsoft Windows world and I think Visual C++ has
>me spoiled.   :)  Please help so I can break away from the Microsoft grasp.

No, don't !! Simply install Samba on your linux system, and let Visual
Studio create a empty project in a shared directory. Add files as normal,
and add a Makefile (you can even edit it in Visual Studio).

When done editing, press Save All, and do a make on your linux system !!

I even made a linux kernel project in Visual Studio !!

The next step is to make a small VB-Script macro that allows you to execute
make remotely....

Anyway, when Linux offers a good C/C++ parsing and hierarchical listing
development enviroment, it will be time to use that !!. As long as they
allow extensions (through API, Perl, TCL, whatever.)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (J.H.M. Dassen (Ray))
Date: 3 Jun 1999 07:44:40 GMT

William McBrine <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Just out of curiosity, has anyone here compiled a Linux kernel with
>something other than gcc (or pgcc or egcs)?

egcs is gcc (or rather, it will be, very soon; see http://egcs.cygnus.com/).

The current Debian "unstable" systems has egcs 1.1.2 as the default C
compiler. There have been no reports of kernel troubles with 2.2.x kernels
caused by this choice of C compiler.

The 2.0.x series has not been tested well with anything but gcc 2.7.2.x; if
you insist on using egcs or pgcc to comžile it, get the patches for the
known problems at http://www.suse.de/~florian/kernel+egcs.html .

Ray
--
POPULATION EXPLOSION  Unique in human experience, an event which happened
yesterday but which everyone swears won't happen until tomorrow.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Juergen Heinzl)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 1999 21:01:37 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Conrad Sanderson wrote:
>Juergen Heinzl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>All the best ... no problems here, usually using -Os instead
>>of -O2 for all the stuff, so at least your chances to survive
>
>what is -Os ?

See following post ... a bit less aggressive than O2 and since
optimisation is more often than not the way to trigger compiler
bugs I use that one.

Up to now very happy with it, this includes the glibc-2.1.1 (plus some
other options). Not a very scientific approach though. Might be it is
some ms slower over the day, but this machine is too fast to let me notice
that.

>>I've seen and tried code that broke without -fno-strength-reduce
>>up to and including egcs-1.1.2; -fschedule-insns and -fschedule-insns2
>>are two options to avoid like hell too, out of experience.
>
>Any news when egcs-2.0 (or gcc-3.0 if that's what it's called these days)
>is going to be released ?  I've heard that it has much better code
>generation for the Alpha.

See http://egcs.cygnus.com/ ... you can give the snapshots a try, still
keeping the release version around, although sure, it depends on what
you can compile that is worth it and can break without causing trouble.

I have not got an Alpha though and with Intel I do not expect too much
of a gain anyway. It's a P6 here, not a P3, which seems to be more RISC
like if it comes to what difference the compiler can result in.

Cheers,
Juergen

--
\ Real name     : Jürgen Heinzl                 \       no flames      /
 \ EMail Private : [EMAIL PROTECTED] \ send money instead /

------------------------------

From: Phil Howard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 03 Jun 1999 21:42:28 GMT

On 3 Jun 1999 09:38:09 +0200 Villy Kruse <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

| The xfs user id is actually created by an install script by the useradd
| command and will get the next available user id.  So if user id 100 is
| already taken it gets user id 101, and if that is taken as well 102, and
| so on.  If you inustall the package Xfree86-xfs completely and remove the
| user xfs from the password file. the install procedure might very
| well assign a different number if you reinstall that package.
|
| check: 'rpm -q --scripts Xfree86-xfs'

This sounds reasonable.  What is needed is a class of uid/gid numbers for
services and applications.  Install should ask me if I want override the
uid/gid class definitions if it detects any packages that need uid/gid
assignments.  Then I can get the install to conform to my installation
standards.  A global standard would be the default, and what I would do
is just adapt to that global standard.

--
Phil Howard
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Phil Howard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Text virtual console in 2.2.9 (RH 6.0)
Date: 03 Jun 1999 21:46:20 GMT

On 3 Jun 1999 04:24:24 GMT H. Peter Anvin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

| Followup to:  <3755de89$0$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
| By author:    Phil Howard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
| In newsgroup: comp.os.linux.development.system
|>
|> In 2.0.36 the right-ALT-Fn keys switched to virtual
|> consoles 13 through 24.  Now in 2.2.9 it does not work.
|> I've created the appropriate ttys.  left-ALT-arrow
|> (right or left arrow) does rotate around the virtual
|> consoles, but direct access doesn't work now.
|>
|> Looking through drivers in the source I am unable to
|> find the place where the ALT-function keys make the
|> virtual console switch.  Anyone know where this is
|> or maybe how to fix this?
|>

| That's defined in the keymaps.  man loadkeys.

Ah, a feature.  Actually it looks like it's been there a while.
I guess the defaults caused me not to notice it being added back
then, and now the defaults got changed, so now it's noticed (at
least by those of us that are VC hungry).

--
Phil Howard
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "H. Ann Chen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: linux device driver
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 1999 16:45:09 -0500

 I am recently trying to learn how to write a linux device driver from the
O'Reilly book "Linux Device Driver".  It turned out that most of the
examples on that book is written for an older kernel version and they
don't work for the kernel 2.2.5 (the one that I am working on).  Does
anybody know where to find information on how to patch on the
differences??  I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks,
Ann

------------------------------

From: bryan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What are the differences between mySQL and mSQL?
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.lang.java.databases
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 1999 23:16:10 GMT

In comp.os.linux.development.apps Jon Smirl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: If you have one writer and many readers, and that writer is updating several
: tables in a dependent manner, how do you keep the many readers from getting
: partial results?

setup your data so that each record is pretty much an atomic entity.
this is possible, at some expense and inconvenience, some of the time.
in my case, all of the time.

: How about cursor stability for the readers? Are the
: readers sorting the data; what about an insert happening in the middle of
: the sort?

don't know how to answer these questions.  I'm far from an sql expert
but so far, in the netmgt apps I write and run, I've never run into
these issues before.

: In a lightly loaded server your probability of encountering these problems
: is low but not zero.  Stress the server with lots of activity and these
: problems will show themselves. Transactions and isolation levels address
: these issues.

you have a very valid set of points.  perhaps I should consider the
transaction thing a bit more closely.  sometime before my servers get
to the saturation point, I guess ;-)

still, it depends on the absolute accuracy of the info.  if you're
using a freeware db to manage my money, I would be concerned.  for
some snmp polled data (that is constantly being updated by new values
by a poller), then even one erroneous entry won't take the network
down.  it probably won't even be noticed.  and will be corrected by
the next polled instance.

--
Bryan

------------------------------

Date: 03 Jun 99 08:23:37 -0500
From: "Gene Heskett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Terabite Plus Filesystems
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.admin.misc,comp.sys.sun.admin,comp.sys.hp.misc,comp.os.linux.hardware

Gene Heskett sends Greetings to Stefan Monnier;

Well, to continue this thread even more OT, did anyone make note that
one of the design rags I get had a short article in yesterday's incoming
issue, noting that IBM, SCO, and another that slips my mind, have made a
first port of Unix to the ia64(Merced)?  Somewhat based on the AIX core
according to the half pager.  I left the rag at work or I'd give names
and page numbers.

While the ia64/Merced is not yet shipping in qty's, such an announcement
should be the alarm clock to get the linux folks at least awake
vis-a-vis 64 bit cpu's.  If not, the 'Enterprise' market will be lost.

IMO it absolutely must scale up to survive 10 years from now.

>> Well after all the sh** that I have taken because I dared to stand up and
>> just *question* using NT versus Unix on this thread, I open up June 1999
>> WinNT mag and on page 78, is a story about NCSA using a 192 processor
>> cluster of off the shelf NT dual processor boxes, using off the shelf NT
>> SP3. While I understand that this is not a terabite file system being used
>> in it, you Unix Bigots that have said that NT doesn't scale ought to at
>> least read the article. The person managing the system apparently has been
>> very happy with it. Considers it an unqualified success.

 SM> WinNT mag is at least as biased towards NT as comp.os.linux.* is towards
 SM> Linux. Being mostly financed by Microsoft, they are unlikely to feature
 SM> an article about how NT is unusable. Now, for the actual content, you'll
 SM> note that indeed, a cluster of 96 bi-processors has very little to do
 SM> with what was being discussed. You don't mention what the cluster was
 SM> used for, but you'll note that I expect most OS designers to look at such
 SM> clusters as the evidence that the OS itself doesn't scale (the 192
 SM> processors were not a single-system image).  NT machines are also very
 SM> often clustered for reliability reasons
 SM> (failover and friends) which is sometimes considered a tribute to NT's
 SM> instability, I don't know if that was the case for that NCSA example.

 SM> All unix vendors like Sun, HP, ... sell machines with terabyte
 SM> filesystems on a regular basis, which is something that cannot be said of
 SM> NT (or Linux for that matter). So, yes, maybe NT can deal with such
 SM> amounts of disk, maybe Linux can deal with it also, but I haven't seen
 SM> any evidence for such competence, whereas there is ample evidence for the
 SM> other Unix guys, hence the recommendation to go with such a machine.

Cheers, Gene
--
  Gene Heskett, CET, UHK       |Amiga A2k Zeus040 50 megs fast/2 megs chip
    Ch. Eng. @ WDTV-5          |A2091,GuruRom,1g Seagate,CDROM,Multiface III

From: bryan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 1999 23:23:03 GMT

In comp.os.linux.development.apps Don Baccus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: In article <ViA53.1666$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
: bryan  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

: >again, like I said, with multiple writers contending for common
: >resources, yes you're right.  for the "one writer, many readers" you
: >do NOT need xactions.

: Not necessarily true.   If you have several related tables
: that need to be logically updated at once, the atomicity of
: the transactional model is, well, useful if there's a crash
: while records are being inserted or updated.

yes, that's true.  I tend to like hardware raid, just for this very
reason.  its a crutch that simpler db model's can leverage from.

: Even if you don't have a crash, when you have such related
: tables it's generally kinda nice if "select" statements are
: guaranteed to return information in a consistent state.

: Without transactions, in this scenario a "select" can pick
: up stuff where only a subset of the tables have been
: updated.

yup.  definitely true.

: It sounds like your application's really simple, and MySQL
: sounds like it's great for you.

for my stuff, its stood up to constant polling, monitoring, web-based
reporting and trouble-ticket submission at a major computer company in
the silicon valley.  its been in-place for almost 2 yrs now and
continues to go strong.  the mysql system hasn't given me much trouble
and it was SO easy to install (even from source) and to code/interface
with.

(fwiw, I was very close to just using flatfiles on this project since
I had nothing but bad times with previous sql db's.  but I decided to
give this one a chance and hope it would 'redeem' all the bad karma I
had with sql.  it did make a convert out of me and now I'm a huge
proponent of -simple- sql implementations.  I understand that
lightweight isn't for everyone, but it sure does the trick for many
apps that don't need the $100M performance of Oracle and its ilk.)

--
Bryan

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Grant Edwards)
Subject: Re: How to serialize read operations in char driver?
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 1999 23:03:00 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Grant Edwards wrote:

>I need a mutual-exclusion semaphore type mechanism to serialize
>access to a critical region.

After browsing through a few more drivers (and the kernel sources) it
looks like there is direct support for mutex semaphores (example from
pty.c):

static struct semaphore tmp_buf_sem = MUTEX;

pty_write()
  {

  down(&tmp_buf_sem);

  /* critical region */

  up(&tmp_buf_sem);

  }

I think I'll use down_interruptible() just in case.

Hopefully semaphores will get mentioned in the next edition of the
device driver book...

--
Grant Edwards
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Michael C. Vergallen)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.admin.misc,comp.sys.sun.admin,comp.sys.hp.misc,comp.os.linux.hardware
Date: 3 Jun 1999 13:28:08 GMT

On 03 Jun 99 08:23:37 -0500, Gene Heskett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>While the ia64/Merced is not yet shipping in qty's, such an announcement
>should be the alarm clock to get the linux folks at least awake
>vis-a-vis 64 bit cpu's.  If not, the 'Enterprise' market will be lost.
The Linix folks are allready working with 64 Bits systems on the Alpha..
and the Ultra Sparc... as for what merced is conserned they are allready
working on the port to Merced.

Michael
--
Michael C. Vergallen A.k.A. Mad Mike,
Sportstraat 28                  http://www.double-barrel.be/mvergall/

------------------------------

From: gus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.admin.misc,comp.sys.sun.admin,comp.sys.hp.misc,comp.os.linux.hardware
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 1999 14:21:05 +0100

Gene Heskett wrote:

> Gene Heskett sends Greetings to Stefan Monnier;
>
> Well, to continue this thread even more OT, did anyone make note that
> one of the design rags I get had a short article in yesterday's incoming
> issue, noting that IBM, SCO, and another that slips my mind, have made a
> first port of Unix to the ia64(Merced)?  Somewhat based on the AIX core
> according to the half pager.  I left the rag at work or I'd give names
> and page numbers.
>
> While the ia64/Merced is not yet shipping in qty's, such an announcement
> should be the alarm clock to get the linux folks at least awake
> vis-a-vis 64 bit cpu's.  If not, the 'Enterprise' market will be lost.
>
> IMO it absolutely must scale up to survive 10 years from now.

[snippity]

AFAIK, Linux is ported to 64 bit architectures ... Alpha, etc. There is
a lot of effort in getting Linux on to all platforms, and Merced support
has been spoken of for a little while already. IIRC, there was talk that
one of the reasons that Intel invested in Redhat was so that Redhat
could help get a "good" OS on to the Merced when the Merced is released
because it was unlikely that the other merced "seller", NT, would have
a  version ready for the Merced Launch.

My understanding is that Linux will be on the Merced before NT ... ;-)

gus