  Re: printk ??? ("Hung P. Tran")

From: "Kim,Taesung" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps,linux.dev.gcc
Subject: [Request]Looking for slides of Linux class!!
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 1999 20:13:25 +0900

Hello!!
My professor is going to have class which disscuss about linux kernel.
He let me look for slide for linux class.
Does anyone know where this kind of information is?
I knew there are a lot of information on the Internet.
However I am looking for deep disscussion about linux kernel.
Please , help me.
Thank for regarding.

------------------------------

From: Wolfram Gloger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Device driver programming and C++
Date: 09 Aug 1999 13:20:08 +0200

"Andrey Fisunenko" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> The options
>  -fno-rtti that was adviced from the newsgroup
> and -fno-exceptions  (i.e. disbling exception handling) that was
> experimentaly found after some attempts.
> there are not in info gcc.   (I try to grep entry: "rtti" by internal means
> of info )

Yes they are both documented in the Texinfo manual, but you can't always
look for the negative (`no-' form).

/pkg/gcc-2.95/info% grep rtti *
gcc.info-2:`-fno-rtti'
/pkg/gcc-2.95/info% grep fexceptions *
gcc.info-1:          -fexceptions -ffixed-REG  -finhibit-size-directive
gcc.info-6:`-fexceptions'

> It is a bad practice to hide so valueble options.

Look closer.

Regards,
Wolfram.

------------------------------

From: Karl Heyes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: I can't make zImage with "make zImage"
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 1999 13:17:37 +0100

BongShin Choi wrote:

> Hi, dear,
>
> After I done "make  dep", ran "make zImage as README file included
> "linux-2.3.12.tar.gz".
> But, when I run "make zImage", got a message with "Error 1", "Error 2".
> What's problem?
> Who can answer me?

The 2.3.xxx series is development, I suspect you want to stay away from
those at the moment.   The development series has no requirement for
making sure every file compiles.  Many things have changed so things
will fail to compile.

karl.

------------------------------

From: Karl Heyes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: fuser not working right?
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 1999 13:12:55 +0100

Bob Berman wrote:

> I have fuser from psmisc V18 installed and when I run it, I get an error
> message:
> /proc is empty (not mounted ?)

Well is it mounted, type 'mount'  (no args) and see if it appears in the list, else

cd /proc and do ls.

> I put the executable into the debugger, and it looks like it when it checks all
> the subdirectories of /proc looking for "numeric" directories - i.e. /proc/1,
> /proc/10 etc. that it does not find them. It seems like the problem is with the
> line in the source where it does an atoi on each subdirectory.
>
> Breakpoint 1, scan_fd () at fuser.c:325
> 325             if (pid = atoi(de->d_name)) {
> (gdb)  p de->d_name
> $44 =
> "\0004\000\000\000\000\002\000\n\000\005\001\000\000\024
> \000\00010\000µ\000@\000\000\000\002\000&\000\006\001\000
> \000\024\000\00038\000\203\004\b\000\000\000\002\0005\000
> \a\001\000\000\024\000\00053\000¡\001@\000\000\000\002\0009
> \000\b\001\000\000\024\000\00057\0000\001@\000\000\000\002
> \000;\000\t\001\000\000\024\000\00059\000\036\001@\000\000
> \000\002\000=\000\n\001\000\000\024\000\00061\000Ñÿ¿\000\000
> \000\002\000A\000\ ..... blah blah blah
>
> Gives:
>
> (gdb) p pid
> $45 = 0
>
> Shouldn't this give a pid of 4? Or am I misunderstanding atoi? Is this a bug in
> fuser.c then? Why has no one else encountered this? I am using gcc V2.8.1.

No, it's \000 then 4 then \000.  so it's a string beginning with the nul char,
therefore
pid is 0.   use strace as the first thing to try out.

karl.

------------------------------

From: Sverker Wiberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: "Domain validation" for reading tape archive???
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 1999 14:50:12 +0200

Josh Stern wrote:

> What is "domain validation" in the context of reading
> a tar archive tape and how do I get rid of it?
>
> This question arose for me in the following context:

[...piping from DAT at /dev/tape...]

> [...] *slow* as molasses, and when I look in the syslog
> I find messages like this:
>
> Aug 10 00:34:32 Atlas kernel: (scsi0:0:5:0) Performing Domain validation.
> Aug 10 00:34:32 Atlas kernel: (scsi0:0:5:0) reducing SCSI transfer speed
> due to Domain validation failure.
>
> This is only for the rsh tape and it doesn't have anything
> obvious to do with security on my machine (e.g. this happens
> even if I am just doing tar tvf to list the contents of
> the tape).  Can anyone explain what is going on here and possibly
> suggest a workaround.

I'd guess that "domain validation" means "checking that one of your SCSI
thingies (host adapter, DAT streamer...) really is enough of a
_Future_Domain_ thingie to do some optimisations".

For more details, grep for "Domain validation" in
`.../linux/drivers/scsi/', and see what pops out. Also, you'll see if my
guess was right.

/Sverker

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: bzip2 compressed kernel
Date: 9 Aug 1999 15:30:09 GMT

Martin Boening <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: AhAAah! Thanks for clearing up this misconception of mine. Since this
: is so, and obviously something has been done to work around the 640K
: limit before the kernel itself is running - why not do it always and
: dispense with zlilo/zimiage/zdisk and friends?

because there are certain rare BIOSes which
can't be doing with bzImage format images.

Rich.

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] | Free email for life at: http://www.postmaster.co.uk/
BiblioTech Ltd, Unit 2 Piper Centre, 50 Carnwath Road, London, SW6 3EG.

------------------------------

From: Johan Kullstam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Linux assembly, etc
Date: 09 Aug 1999 10:09:19 -0400

JC <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Hello,
> (This is probably for those ex-DOS assembly language programmers.)
> I've been writing programs in linux and I've been wanting to
> port many of DOS programs, mainly graphics-based.
> In DOS, you use OS calls extensively, for example, in printing
> a character....
> .
> .
> .
> mov ah,02
> mov dl,'J'
> int 21h     ;DOS call to print 'J' using function 2 in ah register
> int 20h     ;DOS call to exit the program
> .
> the equivalent in linux would probably be:
>      asm ("movb $2, %ah");
>      asm ("movb $9, %dl");
>      asm ("int $0x21");
>      asm ("int $0x20");
> (in inline assembly, which I intend to use)
>
> I know that these calls are totally useless in linux and I was
> wondering if these calls have equivalents in linux.

system calls in linux are C function calls.  you could look at the
kernel as a low-level shared library.  the linker/loader will set up
the appropriate hooks.

the int 21h with register loading is just an alternate system of
calling routines.  (it's a lousy way to do it, since it ties you to a
particular architechure.  look how piss poor microsoft is at porting
anything to new arches.  it took them the better part of a decade to
move to 32 bit mode.)

> I'm not just
> talking about those two calls, I'm talking about OS calls in general.
> Where can I find them? Also, where can I find a decent assembly
> language tutorial for linux?
>
> I also know that many of you would discourage me from using bios calls
> like int 10h but I do need to access certain bios calls. Any
> workarounds?

besides using ms-dos?

all the int 21h and int 10h stuff is real-mode 16 bit code.  linux
works in 32bit mode.  you can check the source to dosemu for hints on
how to do this.  i don't recommend it.

> I need to access mode 'X' you see. (Game developers would know
> this.)  Is the svgalib up to the task so I don't need to resort to
> assembly?

video cards have a bios to give a consistent interface to 16-bit
programs.  32 bit protected mode (like linux) doesn't have access to
this bios.  you have to write your own video driver.  svgalib does
this for some video chipsets.  maybe yours is covered?  you may want
to check out XFree86 and their X servers.

there is also the frame-buffer device built into recent kernels.  that
may offer something too.

hope this helps.

--
johan kullstam

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Greg Minahan)
Subject: Re: Video mode switching with asm
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 1999 13:53:14 GMT

On Mon, 02 Aug 1999 22:16:48 +0200, Jylam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Hello
>I would like to know how switch to 320x200x256c for example without any
>library, in assembly.
>I can't use any lib because it's for any 4kb demo competition ...
>
>Thanks a lot
>
>Jylam
>
>(Please reply to me)

use:
asm     mov ax,13h
asm     int 10h

320x200x256c mode

Cheers
Greg_M ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David T. Blake)
Subject: Re: as86/ld86?
Date: 9 Aug 1999 13:59:32 GMT

Chris Gregory <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I'm building a new linux system from source. I thought I had
> everything I need to rebuild the kernel (2.2.10) on my current
> system, but I don't seem to have as86 or ld86.

bin86 is the package name.

--
Dave Blake
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Robert Kaiser)
Subject: Re: pin memory
Date: 9 Aug 1999 13:20:37 GMT

In article <Pine.SOL.3.95.990730175517.15451A-100000@comp>,
        Ann Chen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>    Does anybody knows how to allocate memory that is pinned ( will stick
> to one physical address, won't be swapped out ).  I'd appreciate it if
> somebody can help me with this.

Check out the mlock() system call.

Rob

Robert Kaiser                    email: rkaiser AT sysgo DOT de
SYSGO RTS GmbH
Mainz / Germany

------------------------------

From: Tyler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: After Week 1 With Linux -- licking wounds.
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 1999 16:30:41 GMT

In theory.  It doesn't end up working that well / all the time.  We're
trying to migrate, but even that involves installing software on every
computer...

                    http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthias Kilian)
Date: 8 Aug 1999 21:20:56 GMT

Andrey Fisunenko ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> unfortunely `info gcc' contens the same info as 'man gcc'

Try `info -f gcc' or locate gcc.info (or gcc.info.gz) and feed this as
argument to `info -f'.

Kili

------------------------------

From: "¼ÛÀçÈ«" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: the way that users can't move to high directory...
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 00:36:51 +0900

I want to know the way that the users can't move to the high
directory....Like Proftp..

It is very hard to know ...like me....beginner.

I use Redhat Linux 5.1 and 6.0.
and webhosting server.

thanks.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.misc
Date: 09 Aug 1999 11:11:48 -0600

JC <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Hello,
> (This is probably for those ex-DOS assembly language programmers.)
> I've been writing programs in linux and I've been wanting to
> port many of DOS programs, mainly graphics-based.
> In DOS, you use OS calls extensively, for example, in printing
> a character....

Check out http://www.muppetlabs.com/~breadbox/software/tiny/home.html
for some useful Linux x86 assembly programming tips.

--
Joel Squire <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>              Phone   (303) 409-9636
Sr. UNIX Systems Administrator                  Fax     (303) 694-3885

------------------------------

From: Karl Heyes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Which file systems are write stable on Linux?
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 1999 17:47:13 +0100

Randall Parker wrote:

> Which alternative file systems (ie other than ext2) are stable enough on
> Linux when doing writing to be able to be used in production
> environments?
>
> It sounds like HPFS won't be able to do writes until 2.4 kernel is
> released. Is that correct?

dunno!

> Is anyone here using NTFS heavily doing writes on Linux? Do you find it
> to be stable?

dunno!

> Is FAT32 stable for heavy duty writing?

FAT filesystems aren't designed to be used for heavy duty stuff. Thats why
NTFS was created.

> Something else?
>
> I am looking to reduce the chance of losing transaction histories if
> there is a crash. So one way I am thinking of lowering the odds of this
> happening is to put different file system types on different partitions.
> Then put the database on one type of file system and the transaction log
> on another. Hopefully then one of the partitions would always be readable
> after a reboot.
>
> BTW, has anyone ever considered enhancing ext2 or another file system so
> that just the partition and directory tree info is always written to
> synchronously? The idea here is to guarantee the integrity of the
> directory structure and the readability of the disk even if not all files
> have been fully written before a crash. Doing synchronous writes on
> everything would slow things down a lot more than just doing synchronous
> writes on the directory entries.

yes it's called journalling.  and there is development work on journalling
for
ext2 already.

karl.

------------------------------

From: epadin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: Seeking Linux UDP broadcast forwarding solution
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 1999 18:38:15 GMT

I tried ipportfw but couln't get it to forward a UDP broadcast. I need
something that will forward all UDP broadcasts.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

From: Vyl Chan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: rc.local help
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 1999 11:50:37 -0700

hi,
        i'm trying to get a perl script i wrote to run in the background
when the linux computer boots. i have a call like this in rc.local file:
        scriptname& >> outputToFilename
When I do a ps ax on to see what jobs are running, the script is running,
but it is not functioning as it is supposed to. However, when i run the
script manually, when the sysytem is already booted, it runs fine and does
its job. help, anyone?? i'd greatly appreciate it!

--Vyl

Vyl Chan
Stanford University

------------------------------

From: "Ashutosh S. Rajekar" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 1999 23:12:52 -0500

Hello,

On Mon, 9 Aug 1999, BongShin Choi wrote:

> Hi, dear,
>
> After I done "make  dep", ran "make zImage as README file included
> "linux-2.3.12.tar.gz".
> But, when I run "make zImage", got a message with "Error 1", "Error 2".
> What's problem?

        I hope you have followed the proper steps: i.e.
1: make config or make menuconfig or make xconfig(under X)
2: make dep
3: make clean
4: make zlilo/make zImage/make bzImage
        You have probably omitted the 'make config' part.

> Who can answer me?
>
> It's a error message followed.
> -------------------------------
> gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux-2.3.12/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -
> O2
> -fomit-frame-pointer  -D__SMP__ -pipe -fno-strength-reduce  -m486 -DCPU=486
> -c -o hd.o hd.c
> hd.c: In function `hd_ioctl':
> hd.c:623: `BLKPG' undeclared (first use this function)
> hd.c:623: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
> hd.c:623: for each function it appears in.)
> hd.c:624: warning: implicit declaration of function `blk_ioctl'
> make[3]: *** [hd.o] Error 1
> make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.3.12/drivers/block'
> make[2]: *** [first_rule] Error 2
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.3.12/drivers/block'
> make[1]: *** [_subdir_block] Error 2
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.3.12/drivers'
> make: *** [_dir_drivers] Error 2
> [root@sc2175 linux]#
> [root@sc2175 linux]#
> ----------------------------

Thanks,
Ashutosh Rajekar
==================================
Sorry for the screwed up GMT time,
It's not under my control.

------------------------------

From: "Hung P. Tran" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: printk ???
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 1999 20:37:28 GMT

Thank you all for responding ...

Yes !!! #include <linux/module.h> is in my module and I have
-DMODULE and -D__KERNEL__ in my makefile.

No, I am NOT trying to compile it as C++.

I am NOT familiar with "use versioning on kernel syms". But I
tried: grep printk /proc/ksyms <RETURN> and get:

c01132e0 printk_R1b7d4074

What's wrong and how do I fix the problem ???

hung