Linux-Development-Sys Digest #737, Volume #7      Tue, 4 Apr 00 12:13:25 EDT

Contents:
  Re: How compatible is Linux with .. Linux (Mario Klebsch)
  Re: How compatible is Linux with .. Linux (Mario Klebsch)
  Re: software raid patch (Dieter Rohlfing)
  pthread lib ? (nilesh patel)
  Random system hangs on Compaq P166/2.2.14 (Stephen Marley)
  Re: System.map location (Marc D. Williams)
  Re: How compatible is Linux with .. Linux ("The Wogster")
  Re: Linx-Fonts (Jose Santiago)
  Re: How compatible is Linux with .. Linux ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Re: Random system hangs on Compaq P166/2.2.14 ("Tim Haynes")
  Re: Random system hangs on Compaq P166/2.2.14 (Stephen Marley)
  Re: Random system hangs on Compaq P166/2.2.14 (Stephen Marley)
  Re: pthread lib ? (Fabrice Peix)
  Re: 2.3.99pre3 - still won't compile (bill davidsen)
  Re: Hard disk DMA access, SMP bug? (bill davidsen)
  Re: SMP Hang, please help (bill davidsen)
  Re: Random system hangs on Compaq P166/2.2.14 (bill davidsen)
  Re: SMP Hang, please help (Bryan)
  To core or not to core - You tell me (Harish K Chandraia)
  Re: i need to redefine malloc() (Marc SCHAEFER)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mario Klebsch)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps
Subject: Re: How compatible is Linux with .. Linux
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2000 10:28:35 +0200

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Marijn Vriens) writes:
>And thus we have concluded that Linux is made for programs that come
>in sourcecode so that users can do the
>./configure
>make all
>make install
>routine.

I tried this with libstdc++2.8.1, because my copy of applixware
requirtes this lib. The problems started, as the lib was not compiling
on my system and after I fixed the problems (always two variants of a
function having exactly the same signature), the resulting lib did not
work. :-(

73, Mario
--
Mario Klebsch                                           [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mario Klebsch)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2000 10:01:31 +0200

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter Mardahl) writes:

>A "better" thing to do might be to dynamically link your executable, BUT also make
>available ALL the libraries which may be needed dynamically.  If the program finds
>itself being installed on a system without the needed libraries, have your installer
>put in the needed libraries too.

But pllleeeaaassse, never ever distribute binaries, where libstdc++ is
linked dynamically, not even if you include this lib.

73, Mario

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dieter Rohlfing)
Subject: Re: software raid patch
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2000 00:42:44 +0200

On 3 Apr 2000 19:40:00 GMT, bill davidsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>| I'm not quite sure about your statement.
>|
>| On one Linux box I'm running Suse 5.1 with a 2.0.38 kernel and the
>| mdutils-0.35 (included in Suse 5.1). This combo works flawlessly. :-)
>
>  Yes, that's what I meant, use mdtools rather than raidtools, because
>mdtools interface to the RAID in a Linux kernel.

Okay, I mis-interpreted you. Now we are in one line.

>  It depends on how much you need RAID other than -0. I've had no luck
>with other RAID levels in a Linux kernel w/o the raidtools patches and
>support.

Up to now I'm using the linear and raid0 options, no plans for raid1/4/5.
The latter ones seem to be very problematic.

>  You have to understand that mdtools works with Linux kernels, and
>raidtools works with Redhat kernels (and one's you patch yourself to use
>raidtools). If you want to run a stock Linux kernel off the net, use
>mdtools, because it is in 2.2 kernels.

Thanks for the clearification.

>  Hope that let's you make an informed decision.

Yes, indeed.

Have a nice day and good bye.

Dieter Rohlfing

------------------------------

From: nilesh patel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.programming.threads
Subject: pthread lib ?
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2000 17:00:22 +0530

I wrote a simple program with pthread library.
I found that when you one create a thread you could see three entries in
ps .
What is the third entry for ?

Please correct me if i am wrong. (Linux specific)
The thread created are kernel level as they are directly scheduled by
the kernel.
Becoz a task_struct is allocated for each thread created (clone()).

Does the pthread lib has any support for the user level thread ?

nilesh

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stephen Marley)
Crossposted-To: uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Random system hangs on Compaq P166/2.2.14
Date: 4 Apr 2000 11:34:53 GMT

Does anyone have any idea why a Compaq Deskpro 2000 (5166MMX) will hang
at various intervals between 20mins and 2hrs? No error messages and no
keyboard access at all.

The only weird things about this box are:
- all PCI irqs are shared (compaq restriction)
- it has an older 16Mb Dimm and a new PC100 64Mb dimm
- network card is a Netvin Ne2000 compatible pci
- also Eicon Diva ISDN PCI card

I'm a standard 2.2.14 kernel. Hangs occur even if X is not running. I'm
using the experimental UDMA support for Via chipsets.

Is there anything I can do to find out the cause of the hangs? Any clues
or remedies will be greatly appreciated.

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Marc D. Williams)
Subject: Re: System.map location
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2000 11:39:21 GMT

On Fri, 31 Mar 2000 19:55:04 -0700, D. Stimits <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> You can call the file System.map-`uname -r` (e.g. System.map-2.2.14).
>>
>> Moritz
>
>So far this seems to work best. It simply requires compiling the
>EXTRAVERSION info into each kernel. My only problem with this is that
>all kernels must have different minor versioning added to them. If
>System.map could be explicitly stated at one location (each
>application using System.map has its own search hierarchy *compiled*
>in, rather than using a query from the kernel or a config file),
>kernels and System.map files could be stored as pairs, in a more
>organized sub directory structure, like /boot/2.2.14/smp/,
>/boot/2.2.14/uni/, so on.

According to procps' INSTALL file you could also use the PS_SYSTEM_MAP
variable to point to a map file (wherever it might be I suppose).
Apparently ps and top will use that first and then use the
compiled-in(?) search path of /boot/System.map-V, /boot/System.map,
/lib/modules/V/System.map (where V is the `uname -r` thing).

It doesn't seem as though klogd uses that variable or even the same
locations.

A "I probably don't know what I'm talking about" post. :-)
--
>>ANIME SENSHI<<

Marc D. Williams
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.oldskool.org/~tvdog/ -- DOS Internet & Tandy 1000
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Platform/8269/ -- Win3.x Makeover

------------------------------

From: "The Wogster" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2000 08:34:07 -0400

Peter T. Breuer wrote in message <8can67$s0o$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>In comp.os.linux.development.system The Wogster <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
>: When did technical proficiency mean rudeness, and irrespect of others?  I
>
>Oooooh. Almost always, I think.
>
>: have been in the business for 20 years, currently as a consultant, and
for
>: hire programmer.  If your THAT rude to a client, then you quickly run out
of

>I am talking to an equal, not a client. That's left to the oily people
>up front.

uh, anyone in an organization, can and does deal with clients, in my current
venture, I am the programmer, analyst, general contractor, teacher,
multimedia engineer book-keeper and salesforce all rolled into one.  A good
estimate is now, close to 50% of the people who work in the computer
business, are in the same boat.

>: clients.   The geek who's tan comes from his/her monitor, is 98lbs, and
>: hasn't talked to another human face to face in years is a stereotype, and
>: not a very good one.  There are some very technically proficient people,
who
>: are not rude and impolite, want a good example, look at Linus.
>
>Linus can be plenty impolite! Not that he generally is.

Only when insulting Microsoft, and that doesn't count :-)

>: You always have to remember, when dealing with newbies, and people who
are
>: not technically proficient, that we were all there once.  There are also
>: people who are technically excellent, that have not previously worked
with
>: Linux, who would ask this very question.  Beleive me, there are tonnes of
>: them out there.
>
>Then they don't deserve any respect in software engineering terms. They
>haven't gone to a college course, even. The question was naive and
>ig'rant.

Not always, here is a scenario, take a guy who has a Comp. Sci. PhD, his
college had received a nice donation from Sun, the workstations were Sun,
the servers were Sun,  his PC runs Solaris on Intel.  He now works for a
company that produces Unix software, they want to get on the Linux
bandwagon, and have assigned him to research it.  The question how
compatable are OpenLinux, Red Hat, Debian, Corel, Mandrake et al, is a very
appropriate one.   Same goes for someone who comes from a Windows, Netware,
VMS, HPUX, AIX, Irix, MVS, VSE or other environment.   Heck, three years
ago, I could have asked the same question!

Wogster

------------------------------

From: Jose Santiago <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linx-Fonts
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2000 07:52:02 -0500

Visit the FreeType page <A
HREF="http://www.freetype.org/">http://www.freetype.org/</A> . You should be able to
find the direction to what you are looking for there.

<pre>--&nbsp;
Jose Santiago

Senior Systems Analyst - Scientific Systems
Komatsu Mining Systems - Peoria Operations
2300 N.E. Adams Street
P.O. Box 240
Peoria, IL 61650-0240

Voice:309-672-7325&nbsp; Fax:309-672-7753
<A HREF="mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]">mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]</A></pre>
&nbsp;</html>

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps
Date: 4 Apr 2000 13:25:45 GMT

In comp.os.linux.development.system The Wogster <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

:>I am talking to an equal, not a client. That's left to the oily people
:>up front.

: uh, anyone in an organization, can and does deal with clients, in my current

Quite possibly (GHT). But I wasn't.

: multimedia engineer book-keeper and salesforce all rolled into one.  A good
: estimate is now, close to 50% of the people who work in the computer

You are including the 50% of webpage makers and graphic artists!

:>: not technically proficient, that we were all there once.  There are also
:>: people who are technically excellent, that have not previously worked with
:>: Linux, who would ask this very question.  Beleive me, there are tonnes of
:>: them out there.
:>
:>Then they don't deserve any respect in software engineering terms. They
:>haven't gone to a college course, even. The question was naive and
:>ig'rant.

: Not always, here is a scenario, take a guy who has a Comp. Sci. PhD, his
: college had received a nice donation from Sun, the workstations were Sun,

Perfectly normal situation, and one which trains you quickly in the
meaning of shared libraries, configuration file placements, and
incompatibilities between OS revisions IF you are administering your
own machine. Please bring back SunOS. I liked it.

: the servers were Sun,  his PC runs Solaris on Intel.  He now works for a
: company that produces Unix software, they want to get on the Linux
: bandwagon, and have assigned him to research it.  The question how

Yes, I can see your model. You are talking about someone who has a lot
of theoretical knowledge, but not a lot of practical knowledge. Such a
person will learn very, very fast. It's a possible explanation. And
indeed it would account for the naivity and ignorance that I commented
on.

: compatable are OpenLinux, Red Hat, Debian, Corel, Mandrake et al, is a very

It is an appropriate question ...

: appropriate one.   Same goes for someone who comes from a Windows, Netware,

... and one that is easily answered by reading the distro's faqs, and
the linux faq too!

: VMS, HPUX, AIX, Irix, MVS, VSE or other environment.   Heck, three years
: ago, I could have asked the same question!

OK, what IS the difference between VMS and MVS, then! Apart from the
first letter (of their manufacturer).

: Wogster

Peter

------------------------------

From: "Tim Haynes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Random system hangs on Compaq P166/2.2.14
Date: 04 Apr 2000 14:32:10 +0100

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stephen Marley) writes:

> I'm a standard 2.2.14 kernel. Hangs occur even if X is not running. I'm
> using the experimental UDMA support for Via chipsets.
>
> Is there anything I can do to find out the cause of the hangs? Any clues
> or remedies will be greatly appreciated.

What about apmd (daemon and/or kernel settings)? That might be somewhat
broken, and as for Via stuff... might exacerbate things?

~Tim
--

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stephen Marley)
Crossposted-To: uk.comp.os.linux
Date: 4 Apr 2000 13:38:04 GMT

Tim Haynes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> What about apmd (daemon and/or kernel settings)? That might be somewhat
> broken, and as for Via stuff... might exacerbate things?

Thanks for the tips, Tim. APM is disabled in the bios and I didn't
compile support for it in my kernel. I've gone back to the SuSE 6.3
2.2.13 kernel which doesn't have the Via udma support and I've removed
the older 16mb dimm. Hopefully one of these mods will make a difference.

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stephen Marley)
Crossposted-To: uk.comp.os.linux
Date: 4 Apr 2000 15:19:33 GMT

Stephen Marley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Thanks for the tips, Tim. APM is disabled in the bios and I didn't
> compile support for it in my kernel. I've gone back to the SuSE 6.3
> 2.2.13 kernel which doesn't have the Via udma support and I've removed
> the older 16mb dimm. Hopefully one of these mods will make a difference.

Well none of that worked and the system still hangs, apparently at
random.

Won't any of the kernel experts out there offer some insight on this?

I'm reaching the conclusion that it's somehow hardware related and that
I'm going to have to fork out for a new motherboard, case and CPU.

Could it just be overheating? It's only a P166 but there's no fan, only
a heatsink.

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Fabrice Peix <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.programming.threads
Subject: Re: pthread lib ?
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2000 17:37:48 +0200

nilesh patel wrote:

> I wrote a simple program with pthread library.
> I found that when you one create a thread you could see three entries in
> ps .
> What is the third entry for ?
One thread is the thread manager,second is the primary thread and the
last the thread you create

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (bill davidsen)
Subject: Re: 2.3.99pre3 - still won't compile
Date: 4 Apr 2000 15:40:15 GMT

In article <8casgk$u29$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
bill davidsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

| Followup data point:
|
|   the latest Alan Cox patch (2.3.99-3ac1) removes the compatibility
| code. My joy at finding I could upgrade to 2.4 with my app was
| short-lived.

Additional data point:

  Tried to compile iptables code with no success under 2.3.99pre3 on
both Redhat 6.1 and Slackware 7.0, using the supplied compiler (egcs).
So the compatibility stuff doesn't compile in the kernel and the
iptables command line stuff doesn't compile on common configs.

  Perhaps the includes work with gcc 2.x?

--
bill davidsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  CTO, TMR Associates, Inc
  "Doing interesting things with little computers since 1979"(tm)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (bill davidsen)
Subject: Re: Hard disk DMA access, SMP bug?
Date: 4 Apr 2000 15:47:25 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
John Gluck  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
| The Hedge Fox wrote:

| > Using hdparm to set DMA access resulted in occasional corruption
| > of data on the disk - bad enough to require a mkfs. Switching to
| > PIO access fixed the problem. Setting unmask_irq didn't seem to
| > hurt at all. The corruption occurred with ext2, ext3 and reiserfs.

| I seem to remember reading somewhere that DMA doesn't work on all
| motherboards.
| If I recall it's when you do the kernel config theres's a question about
| enableing DMA by default. The help for it talks about the possibility of
| errors on some hardware. I don't know the details of which hardware.

  I am suspicious on "using hdparm" here, I've never had a problem using
SMP and IDE with the kernel setting DMA, but I do notice that DMA
doesn't get set on all drives on some systems. As I recall hdparm notes
that forcing "better" modes may result in data corruption.

  Perhaps the DMA and SMP just flat run the memory out of cycles. That
would probably be load dependent, since Linux really halts the CPU in
idle. I would do a good backup before playing with this, and I'd rather
thell the kernel to use DMA by default and let it decide.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (bill davidsen)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: SMP Hang, please help
Date: 4 Apr 2000 15:50:46 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
ravi Venkat  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

| We are facing a hard hang on 2.2.14 SMP kernel (red hat) while doing
| heavy
| multi-threaded i/o using a software raid driver.

  Is this a BP6 (dual Celeron socket 370) m/b by chance? If so you will
need to wait for a 2.4 kernel, which has fixes for the problem.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (bill davidsen)
Crossposted-To: uk.comp.os.linux
Date: 4 Apr 2000 15:54:20 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Stephen Marley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

| Well none of that worked and the system still hangs, apparently at
| random.
|
| Won't any of the kernel experts out there offer some insight on this?
|
| I'm reaching the conclusion that it's somehow hardware related and that
| I'm going to have to fork out for a new motherboard, case and CPU.
|
| Could it just be overheating? It's only a P166 but there's no fan, only
| a heatsink.

  Yes. I've never run anything above a 486 w/o a fan, but fan failures
do result in hangs sometimes. Also, did you compile with advanced clock
support? I've seen posts suggesting that it may help, but I've never run
w/o that either, since you need it for SMP and I got in the habit.

  Keep us posted.

From: Bryan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2000 16:00:29 GMT

is your motherboard chip (bx, I'm assuming) very hot?  I'd look to that first.

In comp.os.linux.development.system ravi Venkat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: Hello all,

: We are facing a hard hang on 2.2.14 SMP kernel (red hat) while doing
: heavy
: multi-threaded i/o using a software raid driver.

--
Bryan, http://Grateful.Net (ANTISPAM: email is my name at my web's domain)

(c) 2000.  Publishing and/or relaying of this material on all forums other than
USENET implies agreeing to a consultancy fee of US$150 per posting.  You must
obtain a written permit before you publish.  Violators are subject to civil
prosecution for Copyright Infringement as applicable.  Publication by C|NET
and Microsoft Networks expressly prohibited.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Harish K Chandraia)
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.c,comp.unix.solaris,comp.lang.c++,comp.unix.programmer
Subject: To core or not to core - You tell me
Date: 4 Apr 2000 15:23:19 GMT

Hi All,

    I hope that somebody can tell me what is going on here. I
have the following C program

#include <stdio.h>

int main()
{
        struct def
        {
                int a;
        };

        struct def *ptr;

        ptr = NULL;

        printf("%d\n", ptr->a);
}

    From all that you know about programming what do you think should
happen when I try to compile and execute the above program. I have executed
this piece of code on the following four machines(posting about my
results will follow). I am not trying to be a smart ass here but I am
only interested in knowing what you people think would happen because
what I thought would happen didn't happen on two of the four machines.

1. (samwise)# uname -a
unix samwise 5.3 1.0 mc68060

2. # uname -a
NonStop-UX leonard 4.2MP C51IPM74.puma.0414.01:12 S5000 mips

3. hercules23> uname -a
SunOS hercules23 5.5.1 Generic_103640-24 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-60

4. icarus# uname -a
SunOS icarus.cc.uic.edu 5.7 Generic_106541-10 sun4u sparc SUNW,
                                                        Ultra-Enterprise

Thank you
Harish

------------------------------

From: Marc SCHAEFER <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: i need to redefine malloc()
Date: 4 Apr 2000 09:04:12 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
: so that threads can use it un mutual exclusion. I want to redefine
: malloc so that it works like:

For an example of how to (ab)use LD_PRELOAD to intercept C library
functions, look at:

http://www-internal.alphanet.ch/archives/local/alphanet/linux/diversum/fake_io.tar.bz2

You can even call the old malloc().

NB: the C library itself presumably always calls the old malloc() and thus
absolutely no functions allocating memory (e.g. strdup()) will be usable.