Subject: Re: Help: C++ Libraries
From: Gary Lawrence Murphy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 04 Nov 2000 19:41:32 GMT

Another good reference, especially for the art of good OO Design
practices, is Jesse Liberty's "C++ for Linux in 21 Days" --- while
Stroustrup is essentially for understanding C++ per-se, it doesn't
hurt to have a good desk reference that describes the particular
system you are using with RH.

And I'm not just saying this because, as the tech reviewer, I tortured
Jesse until his 21-day guide swelled to 28 days ;)

As for libraries, a very promising candidate is the CommonC++ which
is now available through www.gnu.org

--
Gary Lawrence Murphy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>: office voice/fax: 01 519 4222723
T(C)Inc Business Innovations through Open Source http://www.teledyn.com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: ext2 undelete
Date: Sat, 04 Nov 2000 21:03:05 -0000

On Sat, 04 Nov 2000 11:26:38 +0000 MENON Jean-Francois
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

| I'm working on a kind of undelete for ext2 fs. I would like to know if
| there is other people working on the same problem.

I don't know of a problem.

| I would like to know how I can override the "unlink" function with my
| own function?

Do you want to do this across all filesystem types?  Or just for ext2
only?  If your intent is to change the behaviour of unlink() to move a
file to a garbage area and later empty the garbage, you need to consider
a lot of things about how this should work.

1.  How will you empty the garbage?

2.  What do you want unlink() to do is it is a file with multiple links?

| (my "rm" command already works) It seems to be somthing with ldconfig,
| but I'm not sure.

With ldconfig you can change libraries around and use a different one.
Is that how you are intending to replace unlink()?

--

------------------------------

From: Joe Umiker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Getting my Network adapter to work on linux
Date: Sat, 04 Nov 2000 22:42:49 GMT

Harish Yarlagadda wrote:

> I bought a new D-Link Network adapter. I also got the drivers for it on
> linux ( It is a .c file ). So how do I get this Network adapter to work on
> my Linux RedHat 6.0 system.

The instructions are usually at the end of the file xxxx.c (xxxx is the name
of the driver). See if a makefile came on the disk. The instructions for
compiling and installing the driver as a module are in the source code or the
makefile, at least they were on the D-Link DFE-530TX+ I recently bought. The
driver might also already be in your kernel you can either build it as a
module or rebuild your kernel.

------------------------------

From: David Welch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 5 Nov 2000 00:53:45 GMT

MENON Jean-Francois wrote

>I would like to know how I can override the "unlink" function with my
>own function?
>(my "rm" command already works) It seems to be somthing with ldconfig,
>but I'm not sure.

If you put the name of a shared library in the environment variable
LD_PRELOAD then it is loaded after all the libraries that a program
requires and can override functions in those libraries. That wouldn't
work for statically linked programs or those that call system calls
directly.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hartmann Schaffer)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.development.apps
Subject: Re: How to decompress debian package? Pls help
Date: 4 Nov 2000 14:09:20 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Alan Po  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Dear sir
>
>I have got a ash file but is in debain package (deb extension). I don't
>know how to decompress under Red Hat. Would you give me help? Thanks a
>lot

.deb files are simple archives, i.e. you can unpack them with 'ar x'
(best do it in an empty directory, so that you don't have to search
the pieces afterwards)

there also is an 'alien' utility that lets you convert between
different package formats.

hs

------------------------------

From: Jason Stokes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: PCI device to device DMA transfer
Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2000 18:19:17 +1100

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Hi All,
>   I have a simple question.
> Does linux allow DMA transfer between two PCI device. (without
> involving the CPU). I know that NT doesn't support this but does Linux?

Does the PCI architecture even allow this at the hardware level?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Pete Zaitcev)
Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2000 09:02:36 GMT

On Sun, 05 Nov 2000 18:19:17 +1100, Jason Stokes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >
> > Does linux allow DMA transfer between two PCI device. (without
> > involving the CPU). I know that NT doesn't support this but does Linux?
>
> Does the PCI architecture even allow this at the hardware level?

Yes. It is perfectly valid. Keep in mind though that many systems
have several PCI buses, which may not even be visible to each other.

--Pete

------------------------------

From: "Petricca Antonio" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.hardware,linux.dev.apps,linux.dev.kernel,linux.sources.kernel
Subject: ParPort: AP138B
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2000 13:49:27 +0100

Does anybody have got a technical guide about AP138B parallel port chip
(also mentioned in partport.c driver)?

An answer sent by e-mail to address mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] would be
very appreciated.

Antonio Petricca

------------------------------

From: Tux <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: nanosleep in kernel code
Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2000 14:10:57 +0100

Hi,

I need a function which provides nano-sleep in kernel code, but I don't
want to use the structures from linux/timer.h 'cause they're too complex
for my needs. Just a function that halts my driver for specific numbers
of milliseconds.
Any ideas?

Tux

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matan Ziv-Av)
Date: Sat, 04 Nov 2000 21:30:06 GMT

On Sat, 04 Nov 2000 11:37:40 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Does linux allow DMA transfer between two PCI device. (without
> involving the CPU). I know that NT doesn't support this but does Linux?

Of course it does, when a PCI card does DMA, it accesses the target by
setting the address lines of the PCI bus. It does not know or care if the
addres is decoded by system RAM or any other device. For example for
devices that do this, see the bt848 driver.
Are you sure NT can't do this? That would mean that bt848 cards would be
practically unusable under NT.

--
Matan Ziv-Av.                         [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Grant Edwards)
Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2000 17:19:02 GMT

In article <8u0se4$5u3$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>I have a simple question. Does linux allow DMA transfer between two PCI
>device. (without involving the CPU).

Sure.  It's a PCI hardware issue.  Linux can't allow or disallow it: as you
said, it doesn't involve the CPU.

>I know that NT doesn't support this but does Linux?

Again, the software can't "not support" it.  It's a function of the PCI bus
hardware and the PCI devices, not the OS.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  .. I don't understand
                                  at               the HUMOR of the THREE

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2000 07:56:34 -0600
From: Robert Redelmeier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Pete Zaitcev wrote:

> On Sun, 05 Nov 2000 18:19:17 +1100, Jason Stokes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > >
> > > Does linux allow DMA transfer between two PCI device. (without
> > > involving the CPU). I know that NT doesn't support this but does Linux?
> >
> > Does the PCI architecture even allow this at the hardware level?
>
> Yes. It is perfectly valid. Keep in mind though that many systems
> have several PCI buses, which may not even be visible to each other.

My 2.4.0test8 boot dmesg has a line:
        "Limiting direct PCI/PCI transfers."
just after setting up the APICs.

A quick grep of the source tree shows this comes from
drivers/pci/quirks.c , and it seems they aren't completely
disabled.

-- Robert

-- Robert

------------------------------

From: "Bill" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: GtkMenu
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2000 12:02:30 -0600

Anyone know of a function I can put on a GtkMenu widget that positions it in
a certain place on the screen?

Thanks.

------------------------------

From: Ronald Cole <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux GUI development
Date: 05 Nov 2000 10:27:13 -0800

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher Browne) writes:
> Blah, blah, blah...
> And this has exactly what to do with development of the Linux kernel?

Chris thinks this is comp.os.linux.development.kernel...

--
Forte International, P.O. Box 1412, Ridgecrest, CA  93556-1412
Ronald Cole <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>      Phone: (760) 499-9142