From: Yasuyuki Saito <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: DVD-RAM support in Linux for reading/writing data
Date: 23 Nov 2000 09:25:20 GMT

Hello,

In article Message-ID:<8ucff0$11v$[EMAIL PROTECTED]> at
comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.hardware
Peter Pointner wrote:

= In comp.os.linux.development.system Blaise Canzian <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
= > Is there support in Linux for reading and writing data (not movies,
= > music, etc.) to DVD-RAM?  Is this kernel support?  If not, are there
= > development/beta versions of Linux that incorporate or plan this
= > support? Is the support harware specific (Sony, Hitachi, Panasonic, etc)?
= > Thanks.
=
= Kernel 2.2.16 supports at least SCSI-DVD-RAMs using the SCSI-CDROM driver.
= (e. g. /dev/sr0). The only problem I noticed was that it doesn't honour
= the write protect switch of the medium. Of course the drive does, so you
= get SCSI errors instead of an automatic read only mount.

  I can use DVD-RAM as a read-write media by applying
a kernel patch which is made by Mr. Nagai.

  Please refer to my Web page.
http://beam.kisarazu.ac.jp/~saito/linux/dvd-ram/dvd-ram-english.html

Sincerely yours.

--
Yasuyuki SAITO

------------------------------

From: "jimmy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: de.comp.os.unix.linux.misc,linux.dev.kernel,linux.sources.kernel
Subject: Re: modify syscall readdir read
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 10:43:24 +0100

> > Hi there,
> >
> > I would like to modify the readdir read syscall, because I need to
> hide some
> > files from some users in some special cases (the files in /proc has
> to be
> > unvisible if the user don't owns the proccess).
> >
> > readdir/read seems to be the way what every programm uses (ls, ps,
> top,
> > etc..).
> >
> > I would be pleased to get some hints how to solve this and where to
> find the
> > readdir/read source in the kernelsource to change it at this place.
> >
> > Any recommendation is welcome !!!!
> >
> > regards
> >
> > jimmy
> >

> You dont have to change the code, you can just handle the syscalls like
> read(2), readdir(2), getdents(2), test for special conditions, and
> relaunch the real syscall .

hmm - maybe I had the wrong start:
I would like to hide all process entries in /proc form everyone else than
the process owner. For example: if user foo starts a vi process than the
according entry in /proc should be invisible or at least inaccessable to
every other user on the system (execpt root). So if the user blabla on the
same system is doing things like ps, top is not(!) seeing this running
process from user foo.

Because I want to pervent any access it should be the best if I could change
the routine that is setting the permissions on all files that are generated
in /proc to 400 instead of the usual 444. Do you now where this code segment
is? I'm not that good in C. If I'm pointed to the right function, I will
find my solution ;)

Or is it possible to 'hide' these entries at all to all other users? That
also an simple ls in /proc will just show the own proccesses - so a user
wouldn't even know that there are different proccesses running?

many thanks in advance

jimmy

------------------------------

From: Andi Kleen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Does any part of the standard linux kernel use I/O ports 043h 443h 843h?
Date: 23 Nov 2000 12:13:12 +0100

"Alessandro Staltari" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I'running linux on a single board computer manifactured by ICP Aquire.
> It seems that Lnux activate the built in watchdog that uses the I/O ports
> 043h 443h 843h.

0x43 is the clock chip's control register. Linux obviously uses that, otherwise
there would be no timer interrupt.

-Andi

------------------------------

From: Stefan Boresch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: via kt133 chipset and agpgart
Date: 23 Nov 2000 12:46:18 +0100

Well, in the meantime I noticed that the kt133 support was added to
2.2.x starting with 2.2.18-pre11.  Indeed, with 2.2.18-pre11 (I was
lazy and 'borrowed' the .src.rpm from VAResearch "RH 7.0.1"
experimental distribution) the agpgart module now loads.  However,
from there the same problems as your describe (our hardwares seem to
be alike): X-Windows itself is extremely sluggish, vmd, the Open-GL
application that I use/need, is unusable (slower than software only).
In all fairness, I probably should recompile the glx-module and
possibly also vmd, but right now I don't have the time for this.
The readme on VAResearch page about the glx-module (that's where I got
my rpm from) warns that the module is very kernel and hardware specific...

So in case you prefer a 2.2.x kernel, any kernel after 2.2.18-pre11
should do, but it opengl needs to be sorted out...

Thanks for your reply,

Stefan

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: using sigqueue/sigaction
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 11:42:27 GMT

So, I'll reply to my own question. I've found that the '-lrt' compiler
switch used at link time was one of the fatal mistakes. This switch is
needed on Solaris, but is disastrous on Linux.

I'd also like to know if there are any definitions for the set of
realtime signals, or are they all user-defined?

In article <8uu0m7$14c$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Hi,
>       I've pored over the documentation I could find on how to use the
> POSIX.1b signals under linux. I can't seem to get any of the siginfo_t
> information filled in properly. My handler just prints garbage when I
> access si_value etc. I understand that the signals must be sent with
> sigqueue, and the signals themselves must be SIGRTMIN<signo<SIGRTMAX.
> Any pointers on examples on how to do this?
>
> PS. My code works properly on Solaris when I use SIGUSR1, SIGUSR2.
I've

From: ratz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: de.comp.os.unix.linux.misc,linux.dev.kernel,linux.sources.kernel
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 14:16:35 +0100

Hi,

> hmm - maybe I had the wrong start:
> I would like to hide all process entries in /proc form everyone else than
> the process owner. For example: if user foo starts a vi process than the

You need ACLs on fs-level. You might fight around with linux CAP_*
implementation.

> according entry in /proc should be invisible or at least inaccessable to
> every other user on the system (execpt root). So if the user blabla on the
> same system is doing things like ps, top is not(!) seeing this running
> process from user foo.
> Because I want to pervent any access it should be the best if I could change
> the routine that is setting the permissions on all files that are generated
> in /proc to 400 instead of the usual 444. Do you now where this code segment
> is? I'm not that good in C. If I'm pointed to the right function, I will
> find my solution ;)

Some start points:

http://www.guug.de/~winni/posix.1e/download.html
http://acl.bestbits.at/download.html
ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/libs/security/linux-privs/
ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/libs/security/linux-privs/linux-2.2-fcap

HTH,
Roberto Nibali, ratz

--
mailto: `echo [EMAIL PROTECTED] | sed 's/[NOSPAM]//g'`

------------------------------

From: Freelancer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.apps,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.lang.java.databases,comp.databases.informix,comp.databases.oracle.server,comp.databases.sybase,linux.redhat.misc,linux.postgres,comp.databases.pick,comp.databases.ibm-db2,comp.databases.oracle.misc
Subject: Databases in Linux (Redhat)
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 08:47:39 -0500

I need decide which database going to run for Redhat Linux.
I know MySQL is the most popular one in Linux world. I need
you help me to fill out the blank and hole (?) in table below.

                        Databases for Linux (Redhat)
Y -- yes; N -- No; NA -- not apply; ? -- don't know/not sure

Database  Trigger/Store Procedure  Transaction  Foreign Key Constrain
JDBC/RowSet           C/C++ Library  PerlDBI
MySQL      N           N                          N
N                               Y (mm.sql tyep 4)
Y?                   Y
Postgres      Y?          ?                           Y
?                                  ?
?                    ?
Informix
Sybase
Oracle
DB2
Else?

I know Oracle, Sybase, Informix and DB2 support most or all of them in
UNIX (Solaris, HP-UX, AIX, etc.) But I am not sure are they also support
in Linux.
Thank you very much if you can fill out the blanks and/or holes for me.

------------------------------

From: Blair Kenneth Adamache <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Subject: Re: Database in Redhat Linux
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 08:35:38 -0500

Here are the answers for DB2 on Linux:

Trigger:  Yes
Store Procedure: Yes (choice of DB2 Stored Procedures Language, Java, C,
C++)
 Transaction: Yes
 Foreign Key Constraint: Yes
JDBC/RowSet: Yes
C/C++ Library: Yes
PerlDBI: Yes

From: Michael Kerrisk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Shared Object Libraries (DLLs)
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 15:22:48 +0100

There is also the Program Library HOWTO

http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/other-formats/html_single/Program-Library-HOWTO.html

Cheers

Michael

------------------------------

From: "msbssk" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.suse,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Linux vs Windows vs. Firewall
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 16:00:23 +0100

Hello,

I would like to constract a firewall with "ipcains" under SuSe 7.0.

How can I do the connection between Linux and Win98 / NT in order to get a
connection to the Internet via a Suse-PC and firewall ?

Where can I find information or help to my problem ?
Is there "howto" for this subjekt ?

Ciao Marcus

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ryengoth)
Crossposted-To:
Subject: Re: Databases in Linux (Redhat)
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 15:24:20 GMT

 Don't forget Picksystem's(I mean Raining Data's) D3.

  Ryengoth
    http://pick-source.freeservers.com

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.suse,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: Linux vs Windows vs. Firewall
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 16:56:55 +0100

msbssk wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I would like to constract a firewall with "ipcains" under SuSe 7.0.
>
> How can I do the connection between Linux and Win98 / NT in order to get a
> connection to the Internet via a Suse-PC and firewall ?
>
> Where can I find information or help to my problem ?
> Is there "howto" for this subjekt ?
>
> Ciao Marcus

The solution is quite simple.
Install the following packages from your distrib:
ipchains (sec)
firewals (sec)
ipmasqad (n)
iproute2 (n)
Then modify the rc.config (best thing is to use YaST)
The following vars will have to be set:
FW_ALLOW_SOURCEQUENCH="yes"
FW_ALLOW_FW_TRACEROUTE="yes"
FW_ALLOW_INCOMING_HIGHPORTS_TCP="no"
FW_ALLOW_INCOMING_HIGHPORTS_UDP="yes"
FW_ALLOW_PING_FW="yes"
FW_AUTOPROTECT_GLOBAL_SERVICES="yes"
FW_DEV_WORLD="<your_device>"
FW_DEV_INT="<lan_device>"
FW_KERNEL_SECURITY="yes"
FW_SERVICES_EXTERNAL_TCP="53 80"
FW_SERVICES_EXTERNAL_UDP="53"
FW_SERVICE_DNS="yes"
FW_STOP_KEEP_ROUTING_STATE="no"
FW_MASQUERADE="yes"
FW_MASQ_DEV="$FW_DEV_WORLD"
FW_MASQ_MODULES="<modules>" <--- best leave this one unchanged!!!
FW_MASQ_NETS="<lan_addr>"
FW_PROTECT_FROM_INTERNAL="yes"
FW_ROUTE="yes"
FW_SERVICES_INTERNAL_TCP="20 21 22 23 53 80 137 138 139"
FW_SERVICES_INTERNAL_UDP="53 137"

This allows for the following:
External HTTP and DNS transfers
Internal FTP, Telnet, ssh, DNS, HTTP and Samba transfers
Private LAN (no public IP address necessary)

This, of course, requires that your LAN already has an address space and
has been enabled (192.168.x.y) would be a good choice for addresses.
In this case, lan_addr will have to be set to 192.168.x.0

After this has been done, set START_FW="yes"
Set the default gateway (the dial-in server of your provider) and
reboot.

After this has been done, set up your Windows box (make ESPECIALLY sure
that you assign the IP address of your Linux box as gateway addr!) for
LAN access and reboot.

After all this is complete, you should be fine.

--
Olaf Martens                              E-Mail:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Roger Hamlett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.suse,comp.os.linux.x
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 16:29:22 -0000

"msbssk" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:8vjd7r$mmv$02$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Hello,
>
> I would like to constract a firewall with "ipcains" under SuSe 7.0.
>
> How can I do the connection between Linux and Win98 / NT in order to get
> connection to the Internet via a Suse-PC and firewall ?
>
> Where can I find information or help to my problem ?
> Is there "howto" for this subjekt ?
Yes there is a 'howto'.
There are two 'parts'. Part one, is 'ip masquerading', which allows the
local network and the internet to be shared in this way. This is covered
in 'ip-Masquerade-HOWTO.gz'. The second part is the actual 'firewall',
which is in 'Firewall-HOWTO.gz' (obvious title this one...).

Best Wishes

------------------------------

From: Marc SCHAEFER <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Can not open a file within a kernel module
Date: 23 Nov 2000 11:16:25 GMT

Rui Antunes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: I'm developping a kernel module for RedHat 7.0.
: I'm having problems opening files.

You don't want to do that in a kernel module. The appropriate way to
configure your driver is through insmod parameters. The appropriate way
to reconfigure it later is through a /dev entry (ioctls), or through
/proc (text pseudo-files, in general).

If you want e.g. to load some firmware into your card:

   - either you put it statically in your code, and you waste some
     precious kernel space (if built INTO the kernel you can use
     initializers to free it, but not in a loadable module)

   - or you have a user-space helper program that cats the file in
     /dev/your_device or in /proc, or through ioctl()s.

Now technically you CAN, under some circumstances, open a file in
the kernel: for example if you are 100% sure that you run in a process
context and that you can call schedule() directly or indirectly.

I would only do it when in an ioctl() called from user space, e.g.
And even then, reverting to the user-space helper is probably better.
In some cases you can even do the programming only from user-space,
using ioperm()/iopl() or mapping, but it might be unpractical or
dangerous (maybe interrupts need to be disabled, maybe programming
generates interrupts).

PS: Red Hat 7.0 is not a kernel version. Use the uname UNIX command
    to get information about your kernel release (e.g. uname -a, uname -r).

------------------------------

From: Marc SCHAEFER <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: ext2 fs on magneto optical disks
Date: 23 Nov 2000 11:18:14 GMT

In comp.os.linux.development.system Massimiliano Caovilla <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
:     Any suggestions?

There was something about the need to change the partitionning information.
I don't remember what it was exactly, but maybe you can find it with
a search engine.

Now, to exclude that possibility, delete all partitions on that disk,
then dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=1k count=1 # /dev/sda is the right disk,
then REBOOT (yes) and then create your fs directly on /dev/sda, not using
any partitionning.