Linux-Development-Sys Digest #358, Volume #8     Mon, 18 Dec 00 10:13:08 EST

Contents:
  Re: transfer files through RS232 (Kaz Kylheku)
  Linix terminal emulation software ("owl")
  Re: Kernel panic on installation (Richard Kolb)
  Re: New Linux Distro (Richard Kolb)
  Re: Linix terminal emulation software (Josef Moellers)
  Re: Problems with C++ in Kernel Module ("Peter T. Breuer")
  How to ensure a page not being swapped out (Eric)
  Re: How to ensure a page not being swapped out (Josef Moellers)
  Re: IPC in a module ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Re: How to ensure a page not being swapped out (Eric)
  Re: How to ensure a page not being swapped out (Richard Kolb)
  Re: How to ensure a page not being swapped out (Richard Kolb)
  Re: Signal handling (Richard Kolb)
  where could I find the detailed docs about the r/w lock and thread of UNIX98?
("Victor")
  Re: Signal handling (Josef Moellers)
  Re: how to use raw device (Paul Repacholi)
  routing table internals (Matthew Impett)
  Re: How to ensure a page not being swapped out (Eric)
  Re: Compiling C++ programs with GCC --> no GPL license implications (Stefaan A
Eeckels)
  Re: Compiling C++ programs with GCC --> no GPL license implications (Stefaan A
Eeckels)
  Re: How to ensure a page not being swapped out (Eric)
  bootable raid 1 ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kaz Kylheku)
Subject: Re: transfer files through RS232
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 09:13:08 GMT

On Mon, 18 Dec 2000 11:46:37 +0800, Delcan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hi
>
>How can I continually to receive files(read-wait mode, and there are more
>than one file to be received)?

You use a file transfer protocol that supports batch mode file transfers, like
zmodem.  Or you set up an IP datalink and use FTP, RCP or what have you.

------------------------------

From: "owl" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linix terminal emulation software
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 17:46:25 +0800

Where can I find Linix terminal emulation software running in MS Window ?

--
Andy Won
Web Development Engineer

------------------------------

From: Richard Kolb <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Kernel panic on installation
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 12:19:34 +0200

Hi Ed,

Also guessing....

If I assume you are using a normal ide drive on the primary master,
(What dos people call the c drive )

You are using the wrong boot partition,
e.g. trying to use a fat partition as a linux root partition
(This panic is normal)

if your windows partition is on /dev/hda0  | most peoples systems
and then /dev/hda1 , or /dev/hda2 is the linux root.

Basically reinstall, your linux system
or if you can boot off a disk/cd,
you can specify a root partition ,
and fix the root parameter in LILO

Hope I helped.

Richard.

------------------------------

From: Richard Kolb <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: New Linux Distro
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 12:22:47 +0200

Hi Dimitrios,

I may ruffle a few feathers here but,
The words Fast and reliable don't go well with KDE,

Good Luck,
Richard.

------------------------------

From: Josef Moellers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linix terminal emulation software
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 11:49:27 +0100

owl wrote:
> =

> Where can I find Linix terminal emulation software running in MS Window=
 ?

AFAIR there is a telnet program under Windoze that you can use to log
into Linux.

-- =

Josef M=F6llers (Pinguinpfleger bei FSC)
        If failure had no penalty success would not be a prize (T.  Pratchett)

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Re: Problems with C++ in Kernel Module
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 09:45:24 +0100

In comp.os.linux.help Rui Antunes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>       KFLAGS = -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -I/usr/src/linux/include
>       # Module
>       mainmod.o: mainmod.c
>               $(CC) $(KFLAGS) -c -o $@ $+

You forgot to OPTIMIZE.

> following errors are displayed:
>       unresolved symbol __builtin_delete
>       unresolved symbol __rtti_user
>       unresolved symbol __pure_virtual

>       I know these errors are due to the C++ code - I know that Linux
> Kernel doesn't support C++ very well... But, is there any way to

Supports it not at all.

> overcome this errors?

Don't be silly.

>       Is it a good idea to use C++ in the kernel (I don't use exceptions

It's close to impossible. You'd have to write the support library
(including all the new and destr stuff).

Peter

------------------------------

From: Eric <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: How to ensure a page not being swapped out
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 12:36:30 +0100

Hi there,

Does anyone know here what flag is required to ensure that a kmalloc'ed
page isn't swapped out?
Is GFP_KERNEL sufficient, or do I need GFP_ATOMIC (or even GFP_DMA)

I'm working with a 2.2 kernel (I don't know if anything changed with
2.4pre regarding this)

Eric

------------------------------

From: Josef Moellers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to ensure a page not being swapped out
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 12:45:59 +0100

Eric wrote:
> =

> Hi there,
> =

> Does anyone know here what flag is required to ensure that a kmalloc'ed=

> page isn't swapped out?
> Is GFP_KERNEL sufficient, or do I need GFP_ATOMIC (or even GFP_DMA)
> =

> I'm working with a 2.2 kernel (I don't know if anything changed with
> 2.4pre regarding this)

AFAIK a kmalloc'ed page is never swapped out.

-- =

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: IPC in a module
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2000 17:28:29 +0100

Gareth Stephens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>       Thanks for the info, that's all I wanted to know, as I mentioned I
> didn't want anyone to give me the answer as I obviously wouldn't learn
> anything, however asking for help isn't cheating so you can help me! :)
> It's not really any different to reading a book is it?

Well, of course it is.  We abstract the semantics from the data with an
eye to how it applies to your particular problem and return it back to
you in a form you can presently absorb.  I.e.  we carry out half of the
learning process for you - learning consists of doing what has just been
done for you AND learning how to do that ("learning how to learn").  You
lose by not going through that process.

To say nothing about internalizing the information ...

>>>     b) If so where should I start looking (I _don't_ expect code ready to
>>>     slot
>>
>> You should think about it instead. You just want one character driver
>> that writes into the end of an internal queue (=circular buffer,
>> probably) in the kernel, and another that reads from it. SO you should
>> look at character drivers in rubini's book.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Peter

------------------------------

From: Eric <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 13:19:07 +0100

Josef Moellers wrote:

> Eric wrote:
> >
> > Hi there,
> >
> > Does anyone know here what flag is required to ensure that a kmalloc'ed
> > page isn't swapped out?
> > Is GFP_KERNEL sufficient, or do I need GFP_ATOMIC (or even GFP_DMA)
> >
> > I'm working with a 2.2 kernel (I don't know if anything changed with
> > 2.4pre regarding this)
>
> AFAIK a kmalloc'ed page is never swapped out.

Okay thanks.

One less possibility for my kernel Oops

Luckily, I have many other candidates left.

 :-|

Eric

------------------------------

From: Richard Kolb <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 14:35:36 +0200

Hi Eric,

All memory needs to be GFP_ATOMIC ,
if you use GFP_KERNEL memory in a cli call eg a request block,
you will get a system hang ,

ATOMIC memory is can't be paged out of primary memory.

Check out some of the comments in ll_rw_blk.c

Thanks,
Richard.

------------------------------

From: Richard Kolb <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 14:37:25 +0200

Hi Eric,

Have you tried ksymoops,
Saved me a lot of time ,

This decodes oops messages.

Hope this helps,
Richard.

------------------------------

From: Richard Kolb <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Signal handling
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 15:11:12 +0200

Hi,

err,

/usr/include/signal.h

Richard

------------------------------

From: "Victor" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: where could I find the detailed docs about the r/w lock and thread of UNIX98?
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 21:40:59 +0800

hello everyone:

I want to use processes-shared "pthread_rwlock_t" in my work.(for it's
much faster than System V semaphore). Where can I find the detailed
documents about it?

------------------------------

From: Josef Moellers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 14:44:56 +0100

Thomas Petazzoni wrote:
> =

> Hi,
> =

> Yesterday, I was wondering where is the code for handling signals like
> SIGKILL or SIGSEGV. You don't need to call explicitly signal() or
> sigaction() to handle these signals. So where is the code to handle
> these signals ?
> =

> That might be a stupid question, but i don't have the answer :)

The default action of these two signals, i.e. if you don't handle them
by calling e.g. signal(), is to kill a process. This is usually
associated with the term "not handle". There is no way not to be killed
by these signals without handling them.

The kernel code to "handle" signals (i.e. to kill your process if it
doesn't handle the signal) is in /usr/src/linux/kernel/signal.c.

-- =

Josef M=F6llers (Pinguinpfleger bei FSC)
        If failure had no penalty success would not be a prize (T.  Pratchett)

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps,linux.dev.kernel
Subject: Re: how to use raw device
From: Paul Repacholi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 18 Dec 2000 21:20:57 +0800

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kaz Kylheku) writes:

> >    What advantages does this give you?
>
> You mean raw devices? They are useful to database freaks who want to implement
> their own buffering and their own access optimizations. A block buffering layer
> above the device is not only overhead but may make some of their algorithms
> useless or superfluous.
>
> Databases that run on proprietary UNIX systems do use the raw devices;
> when ported to Linux, these applications could benefit if they could
> also use raw devices in that environment.

The main ( traditional ) reason was the unix file system. It was
designed to spread larger files over the disk so as to ensure
'fair' access. Ext2 does not have this 'feature'. If you have
a UFS system, and run a DB in the file system, read the TUNEFS
manpage now. Same goes for swap, btw.

However, useing memory twice to buffer data, in the kernebuffers
and in the DB is not a good idea for apps like DBs that want every
byte of memory they can get.

--
Paul Repacholi                               1 Crescent Rd.,
+61 (08) 9257-1001                           Kalamunda.

From: Matthew Impett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: routing table internals
Date: 18 Dec 2000 14:58:19 GMT

Can anyone point me to a good reference on the structure of the linux
kernel routing tables? I have tried looking at the code but through all
the fib_{rules,frontend,etc,etc,etc} my head started spinning and I thought
there has to be a better way. I have also tried looking on the web but have
not found anything of any real use...

thanks

Matthew Impett
University Of Maryland

------------------------------

From: Eric <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 15:58:46 +0100

Richard Kolb wrote:

> Hi Eric,
>
> Have you tried ksymoops,
> Saved me a lot of time ,
>
> This decodes oops messages.

A well, they're gone now :-)

This code is to be in a device driver that performs a DMA access to PC
RAM.
Turned out that the hardware had a small bug, that gave a write to a
wrong location.
Ergo kernel oops. I /var/log/messages I found an oops that mentioned an
address simular
to where I was writing to. The message mentioned "unable to handle
kernel paging request at ..."
So I immediatly thought that swapping might have been the problem. But
it wasn't.

Now I have GFP_KERNEL again, and it works :-)
You say it should be GFP_ATOMIC for cli calls?
I'm not sure if I understand that.
If I would do something like `cp /dev/My_Device a_file` my system would
hang?
I haven't tried this yet, -still some other hardware problems to solve
first- ,
but I was planning to do this.

Eric

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stefaan A Eeckels)
Subject: Re: Compiling C++ programs with GCC --> no GPL license implications
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.c++,gnu.misc.discuss
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 12:13:20 +0100

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        "E. Robert Tisdale" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> You know, until just a couple of days ago,
> I thought that voters -- and not the courts -- would decide
> who would be President of the United States.
The voters decided. What wasn't clear was who voted
correctly, which is for the courts to decide.

Anyway, the truly amazing thing was that on 6M
votes, only a few hundred separated the candidates.
I'm now seriously worried about being hit by a
stray meteorite.

--
Stefaan
--

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stefaan A Eeckels)
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.c++,gnu.misc.discuss
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 12:23:47 +0100

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        jbs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> It can be highly risky, costly, and frequently bad strategy, from a
> business point of view, to rely on "sound legal advice."  Legal advice
> is just one factor to be considered in making a good business decision,
> and usually not a major one.
Especially because lawyers will not, and cannot, guarantee that
their opinion will prevail in court. Sound legal advice will ensure
that you're not labouring under a lot of common misconceptions,
nothing more. As two of my uncles (who in their working days were
lawyers of some repute) were wont to say: "It looks like you might
have a case, you should test it in court...". They were remarkably
unanimous on this one.

Take care,

--
Stefaan

From: Eric <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 16:03:23 +0100

Richard Kolb wrote:

> Hi Eric,
>
> All memory needs to be GFP_ATOMIC ,
> if you use GFP_KERNEL memory in a cli call eg a request block,
> you will get a system hang ,
>
> ATOMIC memory is can't be paged out of primary memory.
>
> Check out some of the comments in ll_rw_blk.c

Hi richard,

I can't find any reference to either "GFP_" or "kmalloc" in ll_rw_blk.c

(/usr/src/linux-2.2.5/drivers/block/ll_rw_blk.c that is)

Eric

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To:
alt.linux,alt.os.linux.mandrake,alt.os.linux.slackware,alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup,linux.dev.kernel
Subject: bootable raid 1
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 15:05:06 GMT

I am currently doing bootable raid 1 with all of the latest patches
for
2.2.18 and then some.
When I try to boot the system with either drive removed, I get a bunch
of
010101010's in an endless loop.
Yet, when both drives are in, the system comes up fine. What am I
doing
wrong?

Using lilo 21.5

lilo.conf.hda

disk=/dev/md0
bios=0x80
sectors=63
heads=15
cylinders=13328
partition=/dev/md1
start=63
boot=/dev/hda
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
vga=normal
default=vmlinux
keytable=/boot/us.klt
prompt
timeout=50
message=/boot/message
menu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bw
image=/boot/vmlinuz
label=vmlinuz
root=/dev/md0
append=" ide3=autotune ide1=autotune ide2=autotune hdh=ide-scsi"
read-only
image=/boot/vmlinux
label=vmlinux
root=/dev/md0
append=" ide3=autotune ide1=autotune ide2=autotune hdh=ide-scsi"
read-only

lilo.conf.hdc

disk=/dev/md0
bios=0x81
sectors=63
heads=16
cylinders=16278
partition=/dev/md1
start=63
boot=/dev/hdc
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
vga=normal
default=vmlinux
keytable=/boot/us.klt
prompt
timeout=50
message=/boot/message
menu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bw
image=/boot/vmlinuz
label=vmlinuz
root=/dev/md0
append=" ide3=autotune ide1=autotune ide2=autotune hdh=ide-scsi"
read-only
image=/boot/vmlinux
label=vmlinux
root=/dev/md0
append=" ide3=autotune ide1=autotune ide2=autotune hdh=ide-scsi"
read-only

You can send mail to the entire list by posting to the
comp.os.linux.development.system newsgroup.