Linux-Development-Sys Digest #411, Volume #8     Fri, 12 Jan 01 13:13:13 EST

Contents:
  Re: Kernel -> user mode data tranfer  ???? (Kasper Dupont)
  Re: Keyboard input (Kasper Dupont)
  Re: Extending /proc filesystem on Solaris 7/8? (Chris Thompson)
  Does anyone know of a free c++ compiler (Jay)
  Does anyone know of a free c++ compiler (Jay)
  Re: Does anyone know of a free c++ compiler (=?iso-8859-1?Q?Rasmus_B=F8g_Hansen?=)
  Re: parallel-clustering (Jeff McWilliams)
  Re: Extending /proc filesystem on Solaris 7/8? (Casper H.S. Dik - Network Security
Engineer)
  Re: 2.2.18 won't boot diskless  (working now) (Tom Daley)
  Re: parallel-clustering (Robert Redelmeier)
  Re: How to make a software in UNIX ("Thomas A. Anderson")
  Compiling "irq" module ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: parallel-clustering ("Guennadi V. Liakhovetski")
  Re: IPv6 on Linux (Heepster)
  Re: Keyboard input ("Bernd Oliver Christiansen")
  Re: In Kernel 2.4 cdrom mount.. (Steve Harrington)
  Re: Compiling "irq" module (Andrey Valik)
  Re: "ncurses"--help needed....
  Re: Problems with MINORS in Device Driver Writing
  newbie question: mapping heap to shared memory (adwait)

From: Kasper Dupont <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Kernel -> user mode data tranfer  ????
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 09:20:52 +0000

byteme wrote:

[...]
> >If the process has not requested the information, you
> >cannot just use put_user. You can use either a signal
> >with a signal context or a filesystem object like a
> >socket.
>
> This looks to be my best bet. I assume that I can't use the standard
> functions like  sockfd = socket(AF_UNIX, SOCK_STREAM, 0)  while in the
> module.

[...]

The sys_socket function is in the file linux/net/socket.c.
It creates a new socket and it creates a file descriptor
for the current process and connects the two.

In your case you want to be able to use the socket no
matter what the current process is.

Instead you can call the sock_create function from your
module and save a pointer to the struct socket, the pointer
is valid from any process while inside the kernel.

When using the socket you cannot use the sys_read and
sys_write functions, because they require a filedescriptor
and a userspace buffer.

But if you look at the sys_read and sys_write functions in
linux/fs/read_write.c you will se they are wrappers looking
up the filedescriptor and verifying the buf pointer. You
can simply skip that and call the read/write function from
the socket structure.

Can anybody tell us if I have overlooked some potential
pitfalls? And does anybody know how the syslog deamons does
their job?

--
Kasper Dupont

------------------------------

From: Kasper Dupont <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Keyboard input
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 09:22:27 +0000

Bernd Oliver Christiansen wrote:

> Hello:
>
> I'd like to learn more about programming the keyboard under Linux.  I
> basically need a way to read all keys and modifiers (e.g., I'd like to be
> able to read SHIFT-LEFT, PAGE UP, etc.).  Where can I find more information
> on this topic?
>
> Also, in general, what's a good starting point for exploring the various
> Linux APIs?
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Bernd

That depends on what context you are writing for.
Are you writing for X/console/kernel?

--
Kasper Dupont

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chris Thompson)
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.solaris
Subject: Re: Extending /proc filesystem on Solaris 7/8?
Date: 12 Jan 2001 12:04:55 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Kaelin Colclasure  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
[...]
>Obviously I have argued no such thing about *any* binary API /
>protocol.  I've merely observed that /proc on Linux et al. "textual"
>kernel interfaces have their merits.

It's not as if all Solaris kernel interfaces were binary rather than textual,
by the way. Solaris 8 /etc/mnttab (i.e. the mntfs filing system) is a kernel
API delivering parseable text (in a format with a lot of historical baggage
attached, admittedly).

Chris Thompson
Email: cet1 [at] cam.ac.uk

------------------------------

From: Jay <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Does anyone know of a free c++ compiler
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 12:35:00 GMT

I need a free c++ compiler for testing a few modules
Does anyone have any ideas where I could get 1 ?

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rasmus_B=F8g_Hansen?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Does anyone know of a free c++ compiler
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 14:20:38 +0100

On Fri, 12 Jan 2001, Jay wrote:

> I need a free c++ compiler for testing a few modules
> Does anyone have any ideas where I could get 1 ?

g++ from the gcc package. If it is not on your installation, it should be
on the CD. Or look at your distros web-page - or http://gcc.gnu.org.

But beware of flames if you make linux kernel modules in c++.

Rasmus Bøg Hansen

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jeff McWilliams)
Subject: Re: parallel-clustering
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 13:56:40 GMT

I don't have any direct experience with clustering, but
I've seen quite a lot of clustering material floating around the net.

I'd start at www.beowulf.org

Also check out vendors that sell clusters, including VA-Linux systems,
and hardware based on DEC Alpha processors.  I understand that the
Alphas do floating point calculations better than Intel CPUs do.

You might also check a current LinuxJournal magazine.  I've seen a lot
of the DEC Alpha system vendors advertise in there, offering cluster
solutions among others.  Some that show up at the linuxjournal.com
website include massiveparallel.com and www.atipa.com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Casper H.S. Dik - Network Security Engineer)
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.solaris
Date: 12 Jan 2001 13:13:05 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chris Thompson) writes:

>It's not as if all Solaris kernel interfaces were binary rather than textual,
>by the way. Solaris 8 /etc/mnttab (i.e. the mntfs filing system) is a kernel
>API delivering parseable text (in a format with a lot of historical baggage
>attached, admittedly).

Of course the reasoning there is that it was always wrong to keep
this kernel state in userland and not get it from the kernel.

Casper
--
Expressed in this posting are my opinions.  They are in no way related
be fiction rather than truth.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tom Daley)
Subject: Re: 2.2.18 won't boot diskless  (working now)
Date: 12 Jan 2001 14:23:54 GMT

In article <93kkg9$7i4$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tom Daley) writes:
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>       Christian Leber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>> On 8 Jan 2001 15:03:20 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tom Daley) wrote:
>>
>>>I tried to upgrade to 2.2.18 for my diskless Linux systems.
>>>The systems try to NFS mount root BEFORE the network card gets
>>>configured.
>>
>> I think you need the ip= option.
>>

> I do use the ip= option.  The problem is that the mount message comes
> up BEFORE I see any BOOTP message on the screen.
>
> Are you able to get 2.2.18 to boot diskless?

I used to use the ip= option.  Somewhere along the way it got removed.
I put it back into lilo.conf and now things are working.

Thanks for the help!

|         o        Tom Daley                                      |
|   ___ </v        Woodland Park, CO                              |
|  ___  -\         [EMAIL PROTECTED]                            |
| ___    /                                         (719) 785-4227 |
|       (*)        Linux!                                         |

Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 09:02:53 -0600
From: Robert Redelmeier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Axel Haenssen wrote:

> I need some Information concerning how to set up a
> parallel-processing-linux-cluster (Beowulf?!Concept). Demanded is an 16
> nodes rack mounted system for mathematical models in Biology. I have to
> come up with a good hardwaresolution within a week and was wondering if
> anybody has setup a system like this and can give me some tips.

Some might not consider this a c.o.l.d.s question because it doesn't
deal with kernel issues.  But the NG is c.o.d.system not c.o.d.kernel
and the clustering load-leveling dispatcher is more a .system than
a .application .

You ask about hardware:  That depends very much on the nature of the
problems you want solved.  CPU, memory and disk have to be appropriate
to the type of problem being run.  In general, the nodes should look
like the optimum standalone for solving the problem because they will
all essentially work in parallel.  For the boxen, any number of normal
system vendors such as VALinux, Dell, etc can help you.  You will need
a good ethernet switch and KVM.  Make sure you have adequate power
and site cooling.

More problematical is the control software to run the cluster and
keep the nodes busy.  Of course, the base software must be written
so that processes can be farmed out to the nodes.  For these, I'd
contact the father of Beowolf, Donald Becker, at http://www.scyld.com .

> Please contact me via email
Please read USENET.  Others may have the same question,
and responders get more "credit" for their work.

-- Robert

------------------------------

From: "Thomas A. Anderson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to make a software in UNIX
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 23:37:48 +0800

Your setup file should be a shell script.
Standard locations:
/bin <--- this is where you put your daemon
/usr/doc/your_software/ <--- docs or
/usr/man/....
/var/log/syslog <-----logfile should be appended here if it is system
program

Since this is UNIX or Linux, it should be a daemon, preferrably, since it
does nothing but serves TCP requests.

--
- Thomas A. Anderson
"Program writer for a

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Compiling "irq" module
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 15:28:04 GMT

  Hi,

  I'm trying to compile the kernel module "irq" for managing interrupts
in an user-mode process. The INSTALL file says it may be compiled in a
2.0.X and 2.2.X kernel, but when I try to compile it in a 2.2.X kernel,
I get a lot of "parse error" messages concerning included libraries
like hpfs_fs_i.h, iso_fs_i.h, and so on.

  Does anybody know what I'm doing wrong? Is there any way to use a
module compiled with a 2.0.X kernel in a 2.2.X?

  Thanks in advance,

          José Luis Ayala

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: "Guennadi V. Liakhovetski" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 15:45:55 +0000

On Fri, 12 Jan 2001, Tyler Vallillee wrote:

> For a good parallel clustering solution that is easy to setup, check out
> Mosix: www.mosix.org

If you want a message-passing interface, e.g. MPI, try either mpich or LAM
(there are others too, but these 2 seem to be the most popular). There
recently appeared a good book in O'Reilly series 'Building Linux clusters'
- you might want to have a look. And since you have to decide on the
hardware side - just remember to get a 'good' network setup (cards, hubs,
whatever...) - don't ask me, I don't really know what I am talking about,
I just know that fast network IS crucial:-)

Cheers
Guennadi

> Axel Haenssen wrote:
>
> > Hi Guys,
> > I need some Information concerning how to set up a
> > parallel-processing-linux-cluster (Beowulf?!Concept). Demanded is an 16
> > nodes rack mounted system for mathematical models in Biology. I have to
> > come up with a good hardwaresolution within a week and was wondering if
> > anybody has setup a system like this and can give me some tips.
> > Thanks very much in advance
> > Please contact me via email
> > Axel

___

Dr. Guennadi V. Liakhovetski
Department of Applied Mathematics
University of Sheffield, U.K.
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Heepster <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: IPv6 on Linux
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 16:04:54 GMT

I'm not sure but in Linux what they call routing table contains info
that would normally exist in a forwarding table... For example
interface, gateway, flags, etc.

--
PS: Please respond by e-mail too ...

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: "Bernd Oliver Christiansen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 08:14:09 -0800

My application puts the console into graphics mode.

Thanks again,

-Bernd

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Steve Harrington <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: In Kernel 2.4 cdrom mount..
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 08:37:51 -0800

"junwon,Seo" wrote:

> I'm using the Redhat 6.2 and Kernel2.4.
> But, I can't mount cdrom.
> I have a IDE cdrom
>
> My command is following
>
> # mount /mnt/cdrom    or
> # mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom
>
> My error message is
> 'mount: special device /dev/cdrom does not exist'
>
> What's problem?

Most likley there is no /dev/cdrom special file (look in /dev/ to
check).  Normally /dev/cdrom is a link for convience to the "real"
special file.  On my system, which is SCSI:

lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            4 Nov 28 19:44 cdrom -> scd0
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            4 Nov 28 19:44 cdrom1 -> scd1

--
Steve
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Andrey Valik <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Compiling "irq" module
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 22:02:47 +0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>   Hi,
>
>   I'm trying to compile the kernel module "irq" for managing interrupts
> in an user-mode process. The INSTALL file says it may be compiled in a
> 2.0.X and 2.2.X kernel, but when I try to compile it in a 2.2.X kernel,
> I get a lot of "parse error" messages concerning included libraries
> like hpfs_fs_i.h, iso_fs_i.h, and so on.
>
>   Does anybody know what I'm doing wrong? Is there any way to use a
> module compiled with a 2.0.X kernel in a 2.2.X?
>
>   Thanks in advance,
>
>           José Luis Ayala
>
> Sent via Deja.com
> http://www.deja.com/

Try to include <linux/proc_fs.h> and use egcs compiler on 2.2.X.
When I  compile my modules with gcc I have many errors too,
but I don't know why ?

--
+----------------------+
|   Andrey V. Valik    |

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: "ncurses"--help needed....
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 17:35:08 -0000

In article <93me7a$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Nitin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  I'm using menu library of ncurses library for development of a tool. While
> executing a
> program segmentation fault is coming, and core dumped. After several checks
> I'm not able to find the bug. I'm running on RedHat Linux 6.2 and SuSE
> Linux.

The item list must be NULL terminated.

--
http://www.spinics.net/linux

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: Problems with MINORS in Device Driver Writing
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 17:41:48 -0000

In article <93l2di$l7n$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I was a little anxious in saying it works.  It works and it doesn't
>work.  I tried MINOR(file->f_dentry->d_inode->i_rdev); it makes the OS
>respond with a message saying that the right minor device has been
>opened, however, it causes a segmentation fault which I tracked to the
>to file->f_dentry pointer, it reports that this pointer is located at
>0x00000000 is something really screwed or what.  When it tries to
>report the file->f_dentry->d_inode it causes a CPU dump.  Any further
>help would be appreciated.

What method is being called and what kernel version are you using?

--
http://www.spinics.net/linux

------------------------------

From: adwait <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps
Subject: newbie question: mapping heap to shared memory
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 12:00:04 -0600

I am new to UNIX programming and is learning IPC. Here is my doubt and
is hoping to get help on it.

Platform: Linux - Red Hat 6.2
Programming language : C/C++

Problem: I want to created heap in shared memory. I can create shared
memory and attach it to process data area but  don't know how to map
Heap object to shared memory. Can any one please give me details of how
to implement this. What is the correct approach to do this?

Adwait

You can send mail to the entire list by posting to the
comp.os.linux.development.system newsgroup.