From: "Brian Wagener" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Having problems creating my first module.
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2001 21:25:24 GMT

I just got my copy of Linux Device Drivers, but I can't get the "Hello
World" module to work.  I can insmod it, but it doesn't print anything like
it is supposed to.  I also get this error when I compile it:  Below is also
the code.
Thanks.

/tmp/ccGp7G0s.s: Assembler messages:
/tmp/ccGp7G0s.s:9: Warning: Ignoring changed section attributes for .modinfo

Hello.c
#define MODULE
#include <linux/module.h>

int init_module(void) { printk("<1>Hello World\n"); return 0;}
int cleanup_module(void) { printk("<1>Goodbye World\n"); return 0;}

--
Brian Wagener

ForceConstant
http://force.ath.cx
http://shoptalk.tunacan.net

------------------------------

From: "Karl Heyes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: can libraries be made to load > 0x40000000
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2001 21:08:27 +0000

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Eric Taylor"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Bob Hauck wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, 13 Jan 2001 02:59:28 GMT, Eric Taylor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >I've got a app that needs more than 1 gig virtual address space.
>> >All the libraries load at 0x40000000,
>>
>> Does the kernel compile option for max memory size change this?  I
>> don't know, just wondering.
>
> One piece of kernel code I saw surprised me. Is it true that that if
> I want to have more than 1 gig of physical memory then I have to
> give the kernel 2 gigs of address space, leaving just 2 gigs for
> process space. And I need my own custom  kernel to do this.

I'm not 100 percent on this but I believe by default it's a 2:2
split, but you can make it 3:1 if need be.  kernel re-compile of
course.  You're reaching the limits of a 32bit environment.

karl.

------------------------------

From: Jerry Peters <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ppp 2.3.10 fails (LCP Timeout) after installing 2.4.0 kernel.
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2001 21:41:37 GMT

Gene Heskett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Gene Heskett sends Greetings to mpierce ;

>> Hopefully, you guys are still monitoring this thread.

>> Having similar problem with K-2.4.0 on Mandrake 7.2 after finally
>> getting it to compile w/o panic or set profile freeze my system
>> error.

>> Have tried using ppp-2.3.11, ppp-2.4.0-3, ppp-2.4.0b2-2 w/o success.

>> Did you guys patch the kernel?
>> Can someone post exactly how they got ppp to work in a step format,
>> i.e.,
>> 1) ...
>> 2) ..., etc.

> Duh, dunno if I can.  I built ppp as a module, and the /etc/modules.conf
> file entries are a little different, all recorded by dejanews.  I'd post
> it, but I'm not on that machine for email or news.  Thats all documented
> in the readme's in the tar.gz archive of the latest ppp.

> The authoritative ppp-2.4.0 release is the one at linuxcare.com.au, and
> none of the 2.3 series wil work with kernel 2.4 and up.

Not true:
Jan 13 16:36:29 darkstar pppd[320]: unrecognized option '--vers'
pppd version 2.3.11

Linux darkstar 2.4.0 #2 Sat Jan 6 19:11:36 EST 2001 i686 unknown

2.3.11 works just fine.

modules.conf
# some aliases
alias netalias-2 ip_alias
alias char-major-4 serial
alias char-major-10 off # -130 softdog
alias iso9660 isofs
alias ppp-compress-21 bsd_comp
alias ppp-compress-24 ppp_deflate
alias ppp-compress-26 ppp_deflate
# for 2.3.13 >
alias tty-ldisc-3    ppp_async
alias char-major-108 ppp_generic
alias /dev/ppp          ppp_generic
#alias tty-ldisc-14      ppp_synctty
#
alias binfmt-0064 binfmt_aout
alias binfmt--310 binfmt_java
#
# alias net-pf-2 off            #       IPv4
alias net-pf-3 off
alias net-pf-4 off                      # IPX
alias net-pf-5 off                      # DDP / appletalk
alias net-pf-10 off                     # IPv6
# Other aliases:
alias net-pf-17 af_packet       # packet mode (tcpdump, etc.)
#
#
options parport_pc io=0x378 irq=7
post-install parport modprobe parport_pc
alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc
#options lp parport=0
#----cut here----
# I2C module options
alias char-major-89 i2c-dev
#----cut here----

ppp/options
/dev/modem      # device is /dev/modem
#57600          # run serial port at this speed
115200          # run serial port at this speed
crtscts         # hardware flow control
noauth          # isp isn't required to authenticate itself
defaultroute    # use the isp as our default route
noipdefault     # get our ip address from the isp
modem           # use the modem control lines
lock            # use uucp style locking for modem
#debug          # print debugging messages (to syslog).
#kdebug 1       # 1  to  enable  general debug  messages.
                # 2 to print the contents of received packets.
                # 4 to print the contents of
                # transmitted packets.
usepeerdns      # ask peer for up to 2 DNS addrs. Passed as DNS[12] to ip-up
hide-password   # don't log pap passwords

Make sure you're setting up the serial ports, if necessary.

The only problems I've had with 2.4.0 have been related to the changes
in modutils 2.4; had to change my startup scripts to accomodate the
new modutils.

Module                  Size  Used by
ppp_async               6480   1
ppp_generic            12704   2 [ppp_async]
slhc                    4656   1 [ppp_generic]
smc-ultra               4960   1
8390                    6240   0 [smc-ultra]
lp                      4752   0 (unused)
parport_pc             17792   1
parport                14560   1 [lp parport_pc]

        Jerry

------------------------------

From: solaris_8 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: how to build tar with large file support?
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2001 21:39:54 GMT

hello.

I am using Linux 2.4.0 test7.  I have the source code tree
for gnu tar 1.12.

my question is hopefully simple, but I was not able to find
the answer.

>rpm -q --file libc.so
libc-2.1.2-24

when I do ./configure, what do I need to tell configure to generate
makefile to compile tar with lerge file support?

when doing it as is, the tar file binary generated failed at
2.1 GB limit.

this is intel PIII PC.

I assume I need to pass some flag to tell it to compile with
LARGEFILE support?

thanks.
nospam

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2001 00:31:43 +0000
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: 2.4.0 on Athlon 1G / VIA KT 133

Dave Platt wrote:

> >Upon booting the system I received messages from the kernel about setting
> >idebus=XX to get the DMA 66 going.  So I added the kernel option to
> >lilo.conf and ran lilo.  The kernel seemed to accept that and indicated a
> >DMA 66 ide bus speed.  But then the kernel went on to identify the disk as
> >UDMA 33.  So I used hdparm -X66 to set the mode.  Well I was highly
> >dissapointed to find out, using a disk benchmark, that there was absolutely
> >no difference in disk speed compared to the 2.2.18 kernel which I know is
> >running the disk at DMA 33.  Based on my experience, DMA 66 does not work in
> >2.4.0 for my configuration.
>
> Do you have one of the newfangled IDE-66 80-conductor cables?  The
> expensive ones?  Many motherboard chipsets/BIOSes will refuse to
> activate DMA 66 (or faster) modes if they detect the use of an
> older-style 40-conductor cable - these cables have a rather irregular
> signal impedance, and don't provide sufficient signal integrity for
> the high data-transfer rates used by DMA 66.

Thanks for the reply.  I was wondering if anyone would take my post
seriously with the attitude I took.  I am normally not that attitudinal
about Linux stuff and am pretty forgiving, but the media made such a big
deal out of this thing and it appears to me that it was put out there before
it was ready.  I think it was due to media pressure.

But, anyway, in answer to your question, I am using the proper DMA 66 cable.
This system has a removable hard drive and I have several identical disks I
can run in it.  One of disks contains a Windows system that I use to run
some bench marking software that is pretty good.  I have tested this machine
quite thoroughly and have found that disk performance on this system under
Windows is comparable to published results for other systems running DMA 66
hard drives under Windows.

------------------------------

From: David Wragg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 14 Jan 2001 00:03:55 +0000

Eric Taylor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> One piece of kernel code I saw surprised me. Is it true that
> that if I want to have more than 1 gig of physical memory
> then I have to give the kernel 2 gigs of address space, leaving
> just 2 gigs for process space.

In vanilla 2.2.x, yes.

In 2.4.x, no.  (__PAGE_OFFSET is always 0xC0000000.  Support for 64GB
of memory is achieved through the use of PAE).

There are BIGMEM patches for 2.2, which I think make the situation the
same as for 2.4.0, but I've never looked at them closely.

David Wragg

------------------------------

From: "mpierce" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 02:45:00 +1100

Jerry,
Thank you for your help!!!
I'm using Mandrake7.2 kernel-2.4.0, modutils-2.3.21-1.3mdk and it works.
I edited modules.conf and added the following lines to end of file:
#Jerry Peter aliases 15.01.01
#PPP
alias netalias-2 ip_alias
alias char-major-4 serial
#alias char-major-10 off # -130 softdog
#alias iso9660 isofs
alias ppp-compress-21 bsd_comp
alias ppp-compress-24 ppp_deflate
alias ppp-compress-26 ppp_deflate
#modutils > 2.3.11
alias tty-ldisc-3 ppp_async
alias char-major-108 ppp_generic
alias /dev/ppp  ppp_generic
alias tty-ldisc-14 ppp_synctty
#binfmt
alias binfmt-0064 binfmt_aout
alias binfmt--310 binfmt_java

Thanks again!
Now, another question do you know how I configure a USB CD-RW?
What is the device type, e.g., sda or sdc?
Marvin

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2001 22:21:38 -0700
From: "D. Stimits" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: fsck of encrypted filesystems

Kasper Dupont wrote:

> Karl Heyes wrote:
> >
> > In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "D. Stimits"
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > > Is there any way to fsck an encrypted partition? So far I haven't
> > > found it, but I'd think maybe a loopback layer could be used on fsck
> > > the same way that it is used to mount an encrypted system. As a
> > > related question, do any of the newer journaling filesystems, such
> > > as ext3 or reiserfs, allow encryption, or is the current code
> > > limited to ext2?
> > >

> > encrypted filesystems hook through /dev/loop.., can't you fsck through
> > that, you will probably need a modified fsck to deal with the
> > encryption, check for read-only if your not sure.  The filesystem
> > used should be independant providing it has the means of decrypting
> > the data.
> >
> > karl.
>
> If the loopback encryption is used the following should work,
> but I have never actually tried.
>
> losetup -e encryption [ -o offset ] loop_device file
> fsck loop_device
>
> Where loop_device could be /dev/loop7 and file could be
> /dev/hda6
>
> Check the man page losetup(8).
>
> --
> Kasper Dupont

I've received answers to this both on and off list. The idea of running
fsck on the loop device does indeed work. So simple.

Thanks for the answers everyone sent!

D. Stimits, [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2001 22:23:04 -0700
From: "D. Stimits" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Stimits> Is there any way to fsck an encrypted partition? So far I
> Stimits> haven't found it, but I'd think maybe a loopback layer could
> Stimits> be used on fsck the same way that it is used to mount an
> Stimits> encrypted system. As a related question, do any of the newer
> Stimits> journaling filesystems, such as ext3 or reiserfs, allow
> Stimits> encryption, or is the current code limited to ext2?
>
> There lies the thorny part of using encryption...
>
> -> If the FS is encrypted at the partition level, then certainly
>    everything stays encrypted, all the time.  But if a sector goes
>    bad, on the "physical world" side of things, there can be massive
>    data destruction.  Pretty much the same story as having "compressed
>    partitions."
>
> -> In contrast, using something like CFS, where data and filenames are
>    encrypted by an intermediate layer, there's _no_ encryption at the
>    "physical" layer; files are just files, and an ordinary fsck will
>    do the job.  The data interior to files and filenames is encrypted,
>    as maintained by the intermediary.  [In the case of CFS, this is a
>    sort of NFS daemon.]
>
> I would commend the latter approach as usually being preferable; NFS
> runs lots of places as does CFS, and this requires minimal "system
> surgery" to support.
>
> I use CFS atop ReiserFS for some files; that seems to work quite OK,
> and I'm not overly worried about fscking it as the files are indeed
> "native files" on ReiserFS.

fsck has worked on the loop device, so things are ok for now. I will
probably try the CFS on ext3 one day soon, since I'm experimenting on a
spare drive as well.

Thanks!

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2001 22:28:01 -0700
From: "D. Stimits" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Kernel2.4.0 - Unusual panic

mpierce wrote:

> System is LM7.2 - fresh install; kernel 2.2.17-21mdk
> Downloaded and compiled new 2.4.0 release w/o any runs, drips or errors.
> Have not had any luck getting a 2.4.0 to boot on my Mandrake system and
> need this kernel for USB.
>
> Unusual kernel panic problem:
>         request_module[block-major -3] root fs not mounted
>         VFS: Cannot open root device "hda1" or 03:01
>         Please append a correct "root=" boot option
>         Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 03:01
>                 - Computer freezes at this point -
>
> I tried using both grub and lilo. My lilo.conf setup is:
>
> boot=/dev/hda
> map=/boot/map
> install=/boot/boot.b
> vga=normal
> default=linux
> keytable=/boot/us.klt
> lba32
> prompt
> timeout=300
> message=/boot/message
> menu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bw
> image=/boot/vmlinuz
>     label=linux
>     root=/dev/hda1
>     append=" ide1=autotune ide0=autotune"
>     vga=788
>     read-only
> image=/boot/bzImage
>     label=linux-new
>     root=/dev/hda1
>     #append=" ide1=autotune ide0=autotune"
>     #vga=788
>     read-only
> image=/boot/vmlinuz
>     label=linux-nonfb
>     root=/dev/hda1
>     append=" ide1=autotune ide0=autotune"
>     read-only
> image=/boot/vmlinuz
>     label=failsafe
>     root=/dev/hda1
>     append=" ide1=autotune ide0=autotune failsafe"
>     read-only
> other=/dev/fd0
>     label=floppy
>     unsafe
>
> My grub setup is:
> timeout 10
> color black/cyan yellow/cyan
> i18n (hd0,0)/boot/grub/messages
> keytable (hd0,0)/boot/us.klt
> altconfigfile (hd0,0)/boot/grub/menu.once
> default 0
>
> title linux
> kernel (hd0,0)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda1  ide1=autotune ide0=autotune vga=788
>
> title linux-2.4.0
> kernel (hd0,0)/boot/bzImage root=/dev/hda1
>
> title linux-nonfb
> kernel (hd0,0)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda1  ide1=autotune ide0=autotune
>
> title failsafe
> kernel (hd0,0)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda1  ide1=autotune ide0=autotune failsafe
> title floppy
> root (fd0)
> chainloader +1
>
> Does anyone have a clue as to why 2.4.0 refuses to boot on a newly
> installed Mandrake 7.2 with the kernel panic error?

If the lilo install failed because of BIOS virus or other security
options, it'd be a problem. Possibly check your BIOS for anything that
might break the boot sector write. Someone else recently mentioned a
problem like this, but the error message was more informative.

You can send mail to the entire list by posting to the
comp.os.linux.development.system newsgroup.