Linux-Development-Sys Digest #422, Volume #8     Tue, 16 Jan 01 19:13:12 EST

Contents:
  PrivateICE system level symbolic debugger ("KPG")
  Re: PrivateICE system level symbolic debugger ("KPG")
  Re: make bzImage fails (Kaelin Colclasure)
  Re: su cannot run /bin/bash? was: 2.2.18 won't boot diskless (Russ Bixby)
  "Capturing" keyboard/mouse events ? ("Pål Berge")
  Emacs window size. (Thaddeus L Olczyk)
  Re: Emacs window size. (gpk)
  Running MSC6/MSC7 under linux? ("Jeff D. Hamann")
  Re: Can't boot suse linux 7.0 on a scsi hdd (scsi-controller: ncr 53c8x) ("Marcus
Jäger")
  Re: Problems compiling programs with new 2.4 kernel (Josh Liechty)
  Re: Running MSC6/MSC7 under linux? (Toby Haynes)
  Re: Running MSC6/MSC7 under linux? (Lew Pitcher)
  Re: Can't boot suse linux 7.0 on a scsi hdd (scsi-controller: ncr 53c8x) (Jerry
Peters)
  Re: Can't boot suse linux 7.0 on a scsi hdd (scsi-controller: ncr 53c8x) ("Marcus
Jäger")
  Re: Can't boot suse linux 7.0 on a scsi hdd (scsi-controller: ncr 53c8x) ("Marcus
Jäger")
  Device Driver Engineers Needed-Great Opportunity!! (larry)
  Device Driver Engineers Needed-Great Opportunity!! (larry)
  cpu_present_map vs. cpu_number_map? (Kaelin Colclasure)

From: "KPG" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: PrivateICE system level symbolic debugger
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 15:55:17 +0100

new release

http://pice.sorceforge.net

Klaus P. Gerlicher
FireGL professional graphics

------------------------------

From: "KPG" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: PrivateICE system level symbolic debugger
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 16:01:57 +0100

Sorry, should have read:

new release

http://pice.sourceforge.net

Klaus P. Gerlicher
FireGL professional graphics

news:3a6460e4$0$24058$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

From: Kaelin Colclasure <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.questions,linux.dev.c-programming,linux.dev.config,linux.dev.kernel,linux.redhat,linux.redhat.development,linux.redhat.devel,linux.sources.kernel
Subject: Re: make bzImage fails
Date: 16 Jan 2001 08:09:10 -0800

Michael,

I didn't go through your entire post, but I thought you might find a
document I put together helpful:

  * Redhat Kernel Customization mini-HOWTO
  <https://sourceforge.net/docman/display_doc.php?docid=1687&group_id=14191>

This was composed from notes I made while customizing the kernel on my
Redhat 7.0 installation.

-- Kaelin

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Russ Bixby)
Subject: Re: su cannot run /bin/bash? was: 2.2.18 won't boot diskless
Date: 16 Jan 2001 10:34:22 -0600

Ulrich Hahn ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

: --------------3DACD36BD58C0B334B1F4385

: Just another problem - I saw you managed the previous problem well :-)

: I am booting a 2.0.36 kernel without problem using a NFS root. The
: clients are functional, but you cannot log in as ordinary user. Neither
: local nor via telnet or ssh. The problem arises whe trying the "su -
: anyusername" or even "su anyusername".
: The result is always like this:
: su: cannot run /bin/bash: Permission denied
: (Replace /bin/bash to whatever you may place into /etc/passwd as the
: user shell).

: Only root will be allowed to log in - not acceptable for a WORKstation.

: (I did the same some years ago, and it there was noting like that..)
: Any idea, what might cause this strange result?

Um...  have you checked the pernmissions on the mounted filesystem and
on bash...?  Also, have you checked the /etc/shells database?

CHeers,

Russ Bixby, geek at large

From: "Pål Berge" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: "Capturing" keyboard/mouse events ?
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 17:50:32 +0100

Can someone give me some tips on how I can "keep track of" ALL keyboard and
mouse events that occur in X  ?
- i.e. not for a specific graphic component or application, but any X event
blablabla, you get the point....
is there a way of doing this that will be the same on all unix/unix-"clones"
running X ?
I also need to pipe some info about some events when they occur, preferably
through stdout ...

Thanks for any help !!
-- Paal

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Thaddeus L Olczyk)
Subject: Emacs window size.
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 16:53:58 GMT

I've asked this question to no avail on the emacs newsgroup.
>From an emacs standpoint I seem to be doing everything
right, so it must be a linux problem.
>From linux, when I open emacs or create a new frame, I am disatisified
with the size of the window.
I've create both a default-frame-alist and initial-frame-alist,
configured them accordingly with (height . x) (width . y) and
no matter what the windows come up the same size.
I don't have this problem with Windows. I figure there must be
something strange about linux, or gnome ( version 1.2.1 ). ANy ideas?
TIA

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (gpk)
Subject: Re: Emacs window size.
Date: 16 Jan 2001 11:23:28 -0600

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Thaddeus L Olczyk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I've asked this question to no avail on the emacs newsgroup.
>From an emacs standpoint I seem to be doing everything
>right, so it must be a linux problem.
>From linux, when I open emacs or create a new frame, I am disatisified
>with the size of the window.
>I've create both a default-frame-alist and initial-frame-alist,
>configured them accordingly with (height . x) (width . y) and
>no matter what the windows come up the same size.
>I don't have this problem with Windows. I figure there must be
>something strange about linux, or gnome ( version 1.2.1 ). ANy ideas?
>TIA

 check the "-geometry" command line arg on the emacs man page.

------------------------------

From: "Jeff D. Hamann" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps
Subject: Running MSC6/MSC7 under linux?
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 11:10:37 -0800

As horrid as this sounds...

I have to develop applications (binary compatible applications) that will
run on a DOS 5 binary compatible data recorder. I'm tired of trying to find
an old DOS machine, load the required MS 6 C compiler, building the tiny
app, then shelving the machine for another 6 months to a year, only to
repeat the cycle. My questions are:

Can I run MSC 6/7 under linux somehow and build apps that are binary
compatible with early versions of DOS?

Thanks,
Jeff.

==================================
Jeff D. Hamann
280 Peavy Hall
Department of Forest Resources
Oregon State University
Corvallis, Oregon 97331-8566 USA
541-740-5988
541-737-2375
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

This is the song that never ends
It goes on and on my friends
Somebody started singing it
Not knowing what it was
Now everybody's singing it
And it goes on and on because

From: "Marcus Jäger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Can't boot suse linux 7.0 on a scsi hdd (scsi-controller: ncr 53c8x)
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 20:15:57 +0100

all that i tried but did DIDN'T work.
although it says that all has finishd correctly i
after reboot i have still the old  2.2.16 kernel and kde2 isn't working any
more!!!
what's wrong? kernel-bug?

news:DrK86.2381$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Josh Liechty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Problems compiling programs with new 2.4 kernel
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 14:24:12 -0500

Thank you for answering.

"Guennadi V. Liakhovetski" wrote:

> Hi
>
> On Mon, 15 Jan 2001, Josh Liechty wrote:
>
> > When I try to compile the Lucent Winmodem driver under the 2.4 kernel,
> > it complains that it can't find
> > /usr/src/linux/include/linux/modversions.h and serial_compat.h . It also
>
> Does this file exist? In particular, do you have a link
> linux -> linux-2.4.0
> in your /usr/src/ directory?

a) These files do not exist.

b) Yes, /usr/src/linux is a link to /usr/src/linux-2.4.0.

> > complained about autoconf.h, but I copied autoconf*.h from the Linux
> > kernel 2.2.14 files, and now that works ok, but it still is complaining
>
> You shouldn't need to do this either. You are mixing up kernel versions
> this way. If the missing files REALLY do not exist in 2.4.x, this means
> you need to upgrade / patch your driver. I've seen some reports about
> winmodem drivers not working with the new 2.4 kernels, and then usually
> usually it was possible to download a patch for the driver.
> [snip]

I got the driver that was supposed to work with 2.4, but maybe they've
made a patch to it since then. I'll check this out.

------------------------------

From: Toby Haynes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps
Subject: Re: Running MSC6/MSC7 under linux?
Date: 16 Jan 2001 15:18:27 -0500

On Tue, 16 Jan 2001, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> As horrid as this sounds...
>
> I have to develop applications (binary compatible applications) that will
> run on a DOS 5 binary compatible data recorder. I'm tired of trying to find
> an old DOS machine, load the required MS 6 C compiler, building the tiny
> app, then shelving the machine for another 6 months to a year, only to
> repeat the cycle. My questions are:
>
> Can I run MSC 6/7 under linux somehow and build apps that are binary
> compatible with early versions of DOS?

Have you tried running MSC 6/7 under DosEmu for Linux? The releases are
available on

http://www.dosemu.org/

Looking at the mailing lists, DOS compilers seem to work pretty well, so you
should be able to avoid hunting for an old DOS machine :-)

Documentation for dosemu is a bit sparse, so if you are having trouble, its
probably best to search or subscribe to the dosemu mailing lists.

Cheers,
Toby Haynes

--

Toby Haynes
The views and opinions expressed in this message are my own, and do

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lew Pitcher)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 21:02:22 GMT

On Tue, 16 Jan 2001 11:10:37 -0800, "Jeff D. Hamann"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>As horrid as this sounds...
>
>I have to develop applications (binary compatible applications) that will
>run on a DOS 5 binary compatible data recorder. I'm tired of trying to find
>an old DOS machine, load the required MS 6 C compiler, building the tiny
>app, then shelving the machine for another 6 months to a year, only to
>repeat the cycle. My questions are:
>
>Can I run MSC 6/7 under linux somehow and build apps that are binary
>compatible with early versions of DOS?

You can't run MSDOS programs _directly_ in Linux.

Having said that, you should look into DOSEMU and FREEDOS. These
packages together give you a "DOS box" in linux, in which you can run
your MSDOS programs, including MSC v6. (Aside, MSC6 was the last MSC
to also be able to generate OS/2 compatable EXE files).

DOSEMU and FREEDOS are supplied as part of (some) Linux distributions.
They are also available for download from the web; check freshmeat.net
for the latest versions.

Lew Pitcher
Information Technology Consultant
Toronto Dominion Bank Financial Group

([EMAIL PROTECTED])

From: Jerry Peters <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 22:16:58 GMT

"Marcus Jäger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> all that i tried but did DIDN'T work.
> although it says that all has finishd correctly i
> after reboot i have still the old  2.2.16 kernel and kde2 isn't working any
> more!!!
> what's wrong? kernel-bug?

What are you saying? That after rcompiling the kernel it's still
2.2.16? Did you run lilo?  If you're fooling with brand new kernels,
BTW, I'd recommend that you add another stanza to etc/lilo.conf for
the new kernel so that you can still boot your old one.

        Jerry

----snip--------

------------------------------

From: "Marcus Jäger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 23:28:33 +0100

i did run "make bzlilo"
that is correct, or not?
can it be, that kde2 doesn't work after recompiling the kernel?
that's courious

news:uL396.1324$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Marcus Jäger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 23:28:33 +0100

i did run "make bzlilo"

------------------------------

From: larry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Device Driver Engineers Needed-Great Opportunity!!
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 22:41:37 GMT

*** GREAT CAREER OPPORTUNITY***

My client a WORLD WIDE LEADER in custom device driver & system level
software development seeks talented software engineers.
2 + years experience in development of device drivers.

You will work with latest and greatest technologies and w/ the best and
brightest engineers in the industry.

Full Time TELECOMMUTE position(work from home)
No more sitting in traffic to work and long commutes, enjoy the
flexibility this company has to offer all its engineers. No need to
relocate, live where you want(Canada/U.S.) and work from home.

Contact me for more details
Don't miss this great opportunity !!
Send resume or questions to :

Larry Marks
Technical Recruiter
A Hire Solution
email to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Kaelin Colclasure <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: cpu_present_map vs. cpu_number_map?
Date: 16 Jan 2001 15:30:35 -0800

I have a device driver which allocates buffers on a per-CPU basis, and
then uses smp_processor_id () to determine which buffer to use when
one of its methods is called. I've tested this on non-SMP kernels and
on two-CPU SMP machines and it works perfectly. However, I've
encountered a somewhat bizarre machine configuration under which some
of my assumptions break.

We have some servers which have SMP-capable motherboards, but only
have one CPU installed. Some of these servers have the single CPU
plugged into slot 0, and some into slot 1. Otherwise they are all
essentially identical.

The slot 0 machines seem to have been (properly?) identified at Linux
installation as non-SMP hosts. My driver works fine on them. The
slot 1 machines, on the other hand, seem to have been identified as
SMP hosts and are running the SMP version of the Linux kernel. So at
driver-initialization time smp_num_cpus is 1. However, a call to
smp_processor_id () also returns 1.

Currently my driver keeps the per-cpu buffers in an array indexed by
smp_processor_id (). The array is sized to hold smp_num_cpus buffers.
SO, that's a problem. :-)

Now, how to fix it? What I want to do is something like the following:

 -- find the largest index that smp_processor_id () can return
 -- allocate the array of buffer pointers based on that
 -- enumerate the physically-present CPU's smp_processor_id ()'s
 -- allocate a buffer for each CPU physically present in the machine

The kernel sources have revealed to me the existance of a couple of
promising-looking variables:

    cpu_present_map - a bit mask of physically-present CPU's
    cpu_number_map[NR_CPUS] - an array of ???

At first blush, checking for the highest bit set in cpu_present_map
would seem to tell me how big my array needs to be, and then I'd
just need to allocate a buffer at each position where a bit was set.
But do those indices in fact correlate to what smp_processor_id ()
is going to return? Or does cpu_number_map[] need to play into this
somewhere? (And what the heck is in there anyway?)

Is there a way to peek at these things without adding code to my
device driver? I do believe they are exported kernel symbols...

-- Kaelin

You can send mail to the entire list by posting to the
comp.os.linux.development.system newsgroup.