Which product are you planning to work on? Which components? Perhaps someone is already working on it, or we already
have drivers
for parts of it.
It's unbranded but carries a product code of
    "VS-DVBT 355U"
Upon plugging the device, lsusb reports the device as "Bus 1 Device 6: ID eb1a:e357 eMPIA Technology, Inc."

I've recently discovered that it contains a eMPIA 2870
device. As for any others I'll discover tonight when I get home from work and open it up ...
You should probably raise this question on the v4l mailing list, someone else may already be working on support.

I don't really want a V4L interface - I'd probably prefer DVB - espeically as
my main requirement is for a recording environment on a low power device
(NSLU2). I only latched onto the v4l thing as I saw that there's some support
for eMPIA 28XX devices there already. Given that this is a DVB-T usb stick, is
it likely that a DVB interface will be easier to provide? And can a V4L driver
be readily adapted to DVB ?
Yes, chances are some V4l work already exists that will support this (or variations close to it). The V4l and DVB projects are now a single project. It happens to have two different API's for two different needs. The developers are generally grouped into traditional analog products and digitial products but that has no effect on your project. You will span both groups but will be working on the single v4l-dvb tree.

Don't get hung up about the two different lists. :) Friendly folk on both of them!

Steve