Hello Manu,

> Hello David,

> david may wrote:
>> Hello Manu,
>>
>> Monday, November 6, 2006, 12:52:44 PM, you wrote:

>>> Currently H.264 decoding in software is a large overhead in the short
>>> term (for high bit rate HD streams), but wouldn't be the same in the
>>> long run, considering the increase in the number of CPU cores. In the
>>> long run there wouldn't be many cards doing hardware decoding.
>>
>>> Even if DVB HD FF card were there, would be a bit too expensive as well.
>>

>>> Manu
>>
>> the addition of a simple cheap and low power current re-programable chip
>> such as the KiloCore FPGA
>> might have been a very good thing to add for the future expansion/cards
>> rather than some
>> 'specialized chips (called DSPs)' but thats perhaps OT so ill just mention
>> it in passing interest.

> Sounds quite interesting, multiple PPC Cores on a FPGA.

>> http://www.rapportincorporated.com/
>> http://www.rapportincorporated.com/kilocore/kc256.html
>> "Rapport’s initial chip, the KC256, includes 256 processing elements in a
>> 16x16 array,
>> with a peak of 25 Giga Byte Operations per second (GBops) at 100 MHz while
>> using less than 500 mW.
>> For even higher performance, multiple KC256 chips can be clustered.
>>
>> The KC256High performance at low power consumption makes Kilocore™ ideal for
>> demanding
>> applications like advanced security. A KC256 runs the IDEA digital security
>> decryption
>> algorithm 10 times faster than an ARM7®. And the ARM7 consumes 4 times the
>> power
>> (120 mW vs. 500 mW), giving the KC256 a 40x power/performance advantage.
>> Compared to
>> a 1.8 GHz Pentium, the KC256 offers a 500x power/performance advantage. "
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilocore
>> "Kilocore, from Rapport Inc. and IBM, is a high-performance, low-power
>> multicore processor,
>> with 1025 cores. It contains a single PowerPC processing core, and 1024
>> 8-bit Processing Elements
>> running at 125 MHz each, which can be dynamically reconfigured, connected by
>> a shared interconnect.
>>  It allows high performance parallel processing."
>>
>>  now while the kiloCore about is marketed for so called hand held
>>  (DVB-h(2) type products, theres no reason why they and the larger
>>  units couldn't also be used for higher res video etc, it just takes
>>  the hardware people here and elsewhere to put them in as standard in
>>  all the prototype boards.

> Maybe OT, but any idea about the pricing on the same, being curious, you
> know ..
> Their website seems to very slow.

> Best Regards,
> Manu

afraid i dont yet, their a member of the power/PPC group
http://www.powerdeveloper.org/forums/viewforum.php?f=2&sid=72ab4f08518624185b52c5b50d2bdfa9
 so perhaps BBRV (bill buck of Genesi) can put anyone interested in it in
contact with the guys
 and their tech/CEO's etc.

 it cant heart to ask can it 8)

--
Best regards,
 david                            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]