Trent Piepho wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Feb 2007, Michael Krufky wrote:
>> Trent Piepho wrote:
>>> There is one other difference.  dvb-pll will probe for the presence of an
>>> I2C pll chip by doing a one byte read, the lgh06xf driver did not do
>>> this.  In some devices the PLL is not reachable over I2C at the time the
>>> tuner is attached.  Some more initialization, such as firmware loading,
>>> must take place first.  If any of these devices are former LG-H06xF
>>> users, something must be done to disable this probe or enable I2C before
>>> attaching the tuner.
>> LG-H06xF tuners do not have any sort of i2c gate or firmware loading
>> situation,
>> and will not be affected by this issue.  So, we do not have to worry about
>> this
>> sort of problem.
>
> I think the problem is not with firmware for the tuner, but firmware for
> the bridge.  For instance, all the other dvb-pll tuners used in cxusb.c
> have NULL specified for the i2c adapter.

That is just a correlation.  Those that you are thinking of are mt352 and / or
zl10353-based frontends, which have the tuners behind the demod in the i2c path.
 This is a non-issue for the LG H06xF -- I promise you that.  I tested your
changes with the cxusb driver and it works just fine.

The firmware loading in cxusb happens waaaaaay long before frontend_attach.

A bridge driver's firmware _always_ has to be loaded before any other operation
can happen.

>> -    select DVB_TUNER_LGH06XF if !DVB_FE_CUSTOMISE
>> +    select DVB_PLL if !DVB_FE_CUSTOMISE
>
> I thought about that, but there are a dozen other drivers that use DVB_PLL,
> and all of them select it unconditionally.  The DVB_PLL entry is a "hidden"
> one with no name that won't show up it the config menu.  Of course, there
> is no reason a separate patch can't add the ability to turn DVB_PLL on or
> off from the DVB_FE_CUSTOMISE menu.

That's a good point... but the detail that you are missing is the fact that
those other drivers have static calls to dvb_pll_configure() ...  Due to that
fact, those drivers _require_ dvb-pll (until they get cleaned up / refactored)

The changes that you are making here only introduce usage of dvb-pll using
dvb_attach() , so the presence of dvb-pll is optional.

Anyway, changing this isn't that important.  It can wait till later on, after we
do some more refactoring and dvb-pll conversions.

>> You forgot to remove "select DVB_TUNER_LGH06XF if !DVB_FE_CUSTOMISE" from the
>> "config VIDEO_CX88_DVB" section of drivers/media/video/cx88/Kconfig ...
>
> Of course you are right about this.  I grepped for LGH06XF in the dvb tree
> and assumed that I got them all.  I'll fix this and add another patch to
> make DVB_PLL customizable.

OK.  Please remember that cx88-dvb needs the static dependency on dvb-pll due to
the fmd1216me code.  After you push your changes, I'll make a new patch to
finish off the fmd1216me conversion to dvb-pll, then that dvb-pll static
dependency from cx88-dvb can be made optional.

Cheers,

Michael Krufky