On 12/07/2007 12:08 PM, Matthias Schwarzott wrote:
> On Freitag, 7. Dezember 2007, Bernhard Rosenkraenzer wrote:
>>  Hi,
>>
>>  I'm trying to record the Ethiopian Schoolnet DVB-S channels -
>> unfortunately they seem to be broadcast at really weird frequencies
>> (3.887 GHz, Symbol rate 26500000) that none of the DVB-S cards I tried
>> can handle (the cards I tried seem to be limited to the 10 GHz-12 GHz
>> range).
>>
>>  Is there any card (PCI preferred, but USB would be ok) that can
>> receive DVB-S broadcasts at 3.887 GHz, or is there anything that could
>> be used to shift the signal to a reasonable frequency?
>>
> Well normally the LNB shifts the frequency to a reasonable range that can be
> carried on coax cables. It just seems that your LNB is no normal Ku band one.
> So you must have have one with another local-oszilator frequency (C-Band?).
> Wikipedia tells me: "A typical C-band satellite uses 3.7–4.2 GHz for
> downlink."
> Local oscillator: 5.15 GHz
>
> It should be enough to configure the software using the correct LO frequency.
> Then you should be able to receive the channel.
>
> Matthias

If he can in the first place. For KU-band, usually a small dish
(40-120cm) is used. That's consumer (DTH, Direct To Home) stuff. With
the C-band, you have usually have to start thinking 180cm and up, and a
different (probably more expensive) LNB.

In Kaffeine, you can configure a C-band LNB. I've never tried it, I
don't have enough space to set up a dish for the C-band..

P.