On Wed, Mar 5, 2008 at 12:03 AM, Ben Firshman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I am quite disappointed to report that one of my tuners has just died
>  this evening. No error messages to speak of.
>
>  Ben
>

>  On 26 Feb 2008, at 19:18, Philip Pemberton wrote:
>
>  > Patrik Hansson wrote:
>  >> Just wanted to say that I´m experiencing the same.
>  >> Using latest rev (the one with patches merged) + unknown remote key
>  >> patch.
>  >> Ubuntu 7.10
>  >>
>  >> Also having a lot of "prebuffer timeout 10 times" i the middle of
>  >> shows.
>  >
>  > I think I might have a workaround... On Mythbuntu or one of the many
>  > Ubuntu
>  > variants, this seems to work:
>  >
>  > 1)  Run:
>  >       lsmod |grep usbcore
>  >
>  > 2)  If step 1 produced any output that started with 'usbcore', then
>  > usbcore is
>  > loaded as a module. Perform step 3a. Otherwise, step 3b.
>  >
>  > 3a) Create a text file called /etc/modprobe.d/local-dvb (the name is
>  > fairly
>  > irrelevant). Insert one line of text into it:
>  >       options usbcore autosuspend=-1
>  >     Now go to step 4.
>  >
>  > 3b) Your kernel has usbcore built in. That means you have to modify
>  > the kernel
>  > command line...
>  >     Edit /boot/grub/menu.lst (you'll need to sudo to do this).
>  > Search for
>  > this line:
>  > # defoptions=quiet splash
>  >     Amend it to read:
>  > # defoptions=quiet splash usbcore.autosuspend=-1
>  >     It's meant to be commented out, so leave the hash at the
>  > beginning of the
>  > line alone... Save and exit, then run ...
>  > sudo update grub
>  >     Ubuntu will regenerate grub.conf, using the new kernel command
>  > line. Off
>  > to step 4 you go!
>  >
>  >     If you're using a non-Debian distro (e.g. Fedora), do the same
>  > thing but
>  > edit the 'kernel' line instead. It might read:
>  > kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-8-generic root=LABEL=/ ro quiet
>  > splash
>  >     Change it to:
>  > kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-8-generic root=LABEL=/ ro quiet
>  > splash
>  > usbcore.autosuspend=-1
>  >
>  > 4)  Reboot your PC.
>  >
>  > This is a bit long-winded, but saves a kernel recompile, and a ton
>  > of messing
>  > around recompiling kernels when Ubuntu do another release.
>  >
> [...]

I just want check something i just discovered.
Under /sys/module/dvb_core/parameters/ i have something called
dvb_powerdown_on_sleep
This i set to "1" for me.
I also have one called  dvb_shutdown_timeout and that is set to 0

Exactly what is it that options usbcore autosuspend=-1 controls ?

I would have expected that at least one of those should be -1