On Wed, 2008-07-30 at 13:04 +0200, Bart Van Assche wrote:
[...]
> I don't know whether C++ is intrinsic to GOLD's linking superiority.
> The reason I cited the GOLD project is because of the programming
> style of the GOLD source code. A quote from
> http://lwn.net/Articles/274859/, about the GOLD source code:
>
> I looked through the gold sources a bit. I wish everything in the GNU
> toolchain were written this way. It is very clean code, nicely
> commented, and easy to follow. It shows pretty clearly, I think, the
> ways in which C++ can be better than C when it is used well.

If "GOLD" is as old and flexible (and portable?) as binutils, gcc and/or
other huge software maintained to death, it is probably similar complex
and odd.
If people take a > 10 year old tool and rewrite it from scratch, I would
assume that design is better.

And I can't see any direct dependence on the used programming
language(s) if one compares running code and what is left of "design"
after years of design extensions, changes, enhancements, etc. to a new
design from scratch from the lessons learned (hopefully) from the former
one.

        Bernd
          Embedded Linux Development and Services