We are contemplating porting a large number of device drivers to Linux.
The pragmatic solution is to keep them in user mode (using the UIO
framework) where possible ... they are written in C++ for a start.

The obvious disadvantages of user mode device drivers are security /
isolation.  The main benefit is ease of development.

Do you know what the *technical* disadvantages of this approach might
be? I am most concerned about possible impact on interrupt handling.

For example, I assume the context switching overhead is higher, and that
interrupt latency is more difficult to predict?

--jim douglas
Avaya UK, Registered in England and Wales under Registered Number
3049861, Registered Address: Avaya House, Cathedral Hill, Guildford,
Surrey, GU2 7YL.