I took the approach of cutting an established distribution down to size
rather than hand building or tweaking a custom distribution for several
reasons.  Primarily, one of the uses of Hello World Linux will be in an
embedded medical device and the FDA has strict rules governing unexecuted
and untested code.  Binaries and libraries from established commercial
distributions stand a much better chance of passing qualification trials
with vastly more reasonable testing requirements.  I also wanted to easily
keep up with new kernel releases.

I attempted to to use Tom Fawcett's YARD Perl scripts to automate the build,
but couldn't get it to work-I suspect it has something to do with the
automatic stripping of symbols.  The scripts worked well, however, in
eliminating unused libraries.  I ended up hacking a directory listing into a
shell script to cp files one at a time.  I plan to use this script for
building a 2.2 based small footprint version of Redhat and possibly Debian.

I took great care to preserve the networking capabilities in the 4.3MB
Redhat build, even to the point of keeping the sysvinit configuration and
module loader stuff intact.  I stopped at 4.3MB because I have an 8MB flash
disk to work with, and I was reaching a point of diminishing returns.  Even
so, there's still room for someone to cut even more fat for a sub 4MB
rev--the getty/PAM login libraries and bash are particularly juicy targets.

I'd be glad to post the build script, the Hello World daemon code, and the
gcc/Java/MSVC++ clients if someone could suggest a good place to put it all.

Mark