The on-board serial port implemented in the SC400 silicon has a bug which
makes it behave slightly different than a 16550A.  I have patched serial.c
and it works fine, but I doubt that my patch is general pupose enough for
the mainline source tree.  The actual bug has to do with a one clock cycle
delay in the assertion of LSR I think.  Hope this helps.

 diff serial.c /usr/src/pristine-2.2.5/drivers/char/serial.c
69,70d68
<
<
613c611
<               printk("status = %x...", status);
---
>               printk("status = %x...", status);
621d618
<
653c650
<       int status, iir;
---
>       int status;
676d672
<               iir = serial_in(info, UART_IIR);
679c675
<               printk("status = %x iir=%x...\n", status,iid);
---
>               printk("status = %x...", status);
681,683d676
<               status = serial_inp(info, UART_LSR);
<
<               //#endif
687,688c680
<
<               if ((status & UART_LSR_THRE) || (iir & UART_IIR_THRI))
---
>               if (status & UART_LSR_THRE)
2933d2924
<