I want to create a 4-port terminal server that will support 4 telnet sessions.
The target is nit firm yet but so far is a 386 or 486 with 16 (or 32) Megs of
RAM, 2 (or 4) Megs of flash, a boot rom, 4 serial ports (16550's) and a 3Cxxx
network connection; it will not have a display, keyboard or mouse. This is a
board we are building, so I get the change what I must to make it work. I have
data overload with looking Red Hat, Linux-Router, ELKS, etc. (I am two weeks
into this project with no prior Linux or Unix experience).

What should I be looking into to create a ROMable Linux kernel and file system?

What do I have to do to create the kernel and file system so I can save it in
the flash, and then get it load? The boot rom will contain whatever code I need
it have (such as switching to protected mode and copying from the flash to the
ram).

In the future, I would like to add HTML support for system configuration and
SNMP for management. Any help for a newbie would be appreciated.

I have just downloaded the Linux-Router files and will look at them over the
next few days.

If you have done something similar, and can give me some advice or pointers I
would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Bill