> Vidar Hokstad wrote:
>
>I found it easiest to start from scratch, as opposed to pruning an
>existing distribution.

Yes, also we started from scratch. It forces you to really understand all
aspects of the operating and file system and avoids unnecessary libs and
binaries.
A good start is to have a look at the various initiatives for running linux
from a single floppy disk.

We have been using the DiskOnChip (on 2.0 and 2.2 kernels) for some time
now.
It's a neat solution but the prices for the DOCs at some distributors are
very high. That's why we are also using our own IDE compatible flash module
(a small board that fits directly in a 40 pin or 44 pin IDE socket). With
this solution we can vary the "disk"size from 4 to 32 MB. The advantage is
the lower price and the flexibility. (not all PC-104 boards are equipped
with a DOC socket)

Jos Beck