If you use initrd -what most embedded systems I know do, just add "exec
$SH" at the end of /linuxrc, $SH being the shell you want to use : for
example : exec /sbin/ash. The lightest yet usable shell I found was ash,
with Bruce Perens excellent busybox utility for essential binaries -cat,
ls, gunzip.

You'll be logged as root :-)

If you want to logon as another pre-definied user according to whatever
rules you wish, use some login binary of your choice, or some interesting
variation, such as tom's login shell script you can find in his excellent
tomsrtbt around www.toms.net.

--
Pierre MONDIE : SSR : 74-78
So say it loud and say it proud: Microsoft is right about open messaging,