From: Christopher E. Brown [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, August 10, 1999 3:01 PM
To: Jay R. Ashworth
Cc: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
Subject: Re: serial console not working

On Mon, 9 Aug 1999, Jay R. Ashworth wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 09, 1999 at 11:18:43AM -0400, Gonda, Rumi wrote:
> > i am trying to setup serial console and added the following line
> > to my /etc/inittab file:
> >
> >     S0:12345:respawn:/sbin/getty ttyS0 DT19200 vt100
> >
> > and i tried to test it using:
> >
> >     echo hello world >> /dev/ttyS0
>
> I have a stinking suspicion that if you're trying to use ttyS0 as a
> serial _console_, that you don't _want_ a getty running on it.  The
> kernel will likely do the work.

        You still need a getty on the console, the serial console gets
you all console messages at boot and after though.  Remember, you run
getty on ttyx anyway, and /dev/console maps to whatever vty you are on
at that point.

----
First Law of System Requirements:
     "Anything is possible if you don't know what you're talking about..."