On Fri, 10 Sep 1999, Alan Wang wrote:

> As we know, slab allocator can improve the performance of linux/unix
> dramatically. but for embedded OS, is slab still work well? is it too
> complicated for a embedded system. will it impose too much overload on
> embedded OS? does anyone have comment on it? thx.

SLAB is not just about performance - it's also useful for dealing with
fragmentation, which is important for small systems. SLABs allocate
objects of the same type out of a single pool. Not only do these objects
have the same size but they tend to have similar usage patterns.

Non-SLAB systems have a problem when short-lived small entities like
dentries or skbs get allocated and removed at rapid rates, leaving behind
fragmented space of odd sizes which larger, longer-lived objects can't
use.

Any, SLAB appears to work well and the code is not too large, so it's
probably not worth worrying about.