There is probably a more appropriate list to ask this question,
but I think it is probably important to linux-embedded anyway,
so here goes.

I'm putting together an embedded 486 system. I want to use
just a heatsink on the CPU and no fan. It will be in sealed
1 rack unit 19" chassis.

The board I have will support most, if not all, of the 486 CPU's
and I am concerned about heat dissipation. As for speed,
I'll probably need a DX2-66 or a little more.

However, is there a huge difference in heat dissipation between,
say, a DX2-66 and a DX4-100 since the DX4-100 actually has a
slower external clock?

Should I go with AMD, Cyrix or Intel? Maybe you all have heard
the joke that Intel's logo is the electronic symbol for current.

Finally, what are the advantages to 5V verses 3V? It seems
obvious that a 3V chip is cooler so why in the world would anyone
want a 5V one?