The FTP protocol itself is really simple, and you could probably hack
something together by looking at the relevant RFC(s) (URLs, anyone?).
In addition to the traditional Berkeley ftp client, things which are
probably *not* smaller or simpler but also do ftp, which you might
also want to look at the source of, include: ncftp, Netscape (Mozilla),
and lynx.

However, I would suggest that you look at ssh/scp instead; scp already
does what you want (scriptable transfer of files), plus it has the
added benefit of being way more secure than ftp, which might or might
not matter to you right now but will probably be useful in the future
at least.

--ben