How about Lynx? Being a shell-account user skews my viewpoint, but
it seems worth considering. I don't know about its signaling success
or failure, though. (Btw, Lynx is even a decent file manager, if
nothing else is available. Pilot is rather pitiful for that purpose,
though usable easily by newbies.) Hope my s/n ratio is decent...