Hi Walter.

> I took linux-2.2.18, configured it so that it matches the
> available hardware, disabled the "enhanced IDE" driver in
> the section "block devices" and selected the "old hard disk driver".
> When running this kernel, lilo works fine and boots correctly
> after lilo installation.
> Now I enabled the "enhanced IDE" driver instead of the "old" one,
> without any further bells and whistles. If I run lilo under this
> kernel, the following boot displays "L 04 [04 ]" (endless 04).
> Since nothing else was changed, I definitively blame it on the
> "enhanced IDE driver".

Wrong. Lilo does not care a single bit which drivers were compiled into
the kernel. Lilo handles this on its own, loads the kernel and starts
it. After lilo passed the control to the kernel, the ide driver comes to
affect. Not before. So you could even leave any ide drive support out of
the kernel, lilo would not care about it.

After you installed the new kernel somewhere on the system, did you
change /etc/lilo.conf (if necessary) in a way that the new kernel gets
used instead of the old? And did you call "lilo" after that to reread
the configuration and to rebuild the booting information so that it will
find the new kernel instead of the old?

Just renaming the old kernel and put the new one with the appropriate
name is not enough. Lilo does not search for the kernel by name, but
looks at the position of the data on the hdd. If you rename the old
kernel, its position remains the same, it´s just the asociating inode
that gets updated.

The same problem arises if you put in the new kernel and delete the old.
If you reboot after that without calling lilo before, it won´t be able
to find the new kernel and may produce some of the problems you
mentioned here.

But well, I´m definetly no expert with these things. Maybe I´m completly
wrong. If so, please tell me.

Bye, Mike