I don't have experience with MIPS, but the symptoms you describe are
quite often because you don't have a valid compressed image in your
load so the gunzip fails.  As a first step, make sure you have what you
intended to have at the proper place in memory where the compressed
kernel should be.

I'm afraid I cannot get more specific due to my overall ignorace.

gvb