One simple & dirty way to do this is, in inittab, go to the section for
running gettys in the standard runlevels, and replace
(something like) "1:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty1"
with   "1:2345:respawn:/bin/sh"
This will give you a simple shell (for example) in virtual terminal
session 1. If that's the only virtual terminal session you want, remove or
comment out reference to the others. "Quick 'n Dirty" but may suffice for
your stated needs.

George

--
George Fouse, President  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Quantum Technology Associates