Hi,

> - Specify the target area in a file using the following structure:
>   struct ext3_ext_defrag_data {
>   loff_t start_offset; /* start offset to defrag in bytes */
>   loff_t defrag_size;  /* size of defrag in bytes */
>   }
>   It uses loff_t so that the size of the structure is identical on
>   both 32 bits and 64 bits architecture.
>   Block allocation, including searching for the free contiguous
>   blocks, is implemented in kernel.

NAK the ioctl approach.

I agree it shouldn't go into mainline this way, but while the details of
the proper interface are debated, this implementation at least allows
the core function to be tested & reviewed.

People who like ioctls are just holdovers from non-Linux OS's.

Thank you for your comments.
My patches are at the experimental phase and the ioctl approach is
the provisional solution.
But I intend to continue this work with ioctl approach, if there are no
actual problems.

Cheers, Takashi
-