At 11:59 07/11/16, Andrew Morton wrote:

>I suppose so.  Although one wonders what earthly point there is in syncing
>a file's data if we haven't yet written out the metadata which is required
>for locating that data.
>
>IOW, fdatasync() is only useful if the application knows that it is overwriting
>already-instantiated blocks.
>
>In which case it might as well have used fsync().  For ext2-style filesystems,
>anyway.
>
>hm.  It needs some thought.

I did a test to measure the file overwriting performance difference between
original fdatasync and one that skips journal flush.
The test program and obtained result is as follows:

Test program source code:

#include <stdio.h>
#include <sys/types.h>
#include <sys/stat.h>
#include <fcntl.h>
#include <unistd.h>
#include <time.h>

#define BUFSIZE 8192
#define LOOP 1024*1024

main(void)
{
        int i;
        int fd;
        char buf[BUFSIZE];
        time_t t1,t2;

        memset(buf,0,BUFSIZE);

        fd = open("testfile", O_CREAT|O_RDWR);
        if (fd < 0)
                perror("cannot open file\n");

        for (i = 0; i < LOOP; i++)
                write(fd,buf,BUFSIZE);
        fsync(fd);

        lseek(fd, 0, SEEK_SET);
        time(&t1);
        for (i = 0; i < LOOP; i++) {
                write(fd,buf,BUFSIZE);
                fdatasync(fd);
        }
        time(&t2);

        printf("%d sec\n",t2-t1);
}

Result:

 2.6.24-rc3:

        264 sec

 2.6.23-rc3-fdatasync-skips-journal-flush-patched

        253 sec

Hardware environment:
 Dell Poweredge 850
 CPU Pentium D  3GHz
 memory 4GB
 HDD Maxtor 6L160M0

I got somewhat better result from the patched ext3 skipping journal flush.

Some DBMS such as PostgreSQL can use fdatasync. So I think skipping
journal flush on overwriting leads to performance improvement for
these application.

I am for the notion that skipping metadata writeout unconditionally is wrong,
and "important metadata" such as i_size, block-bitmap etc should be
synched even if fdatasync is issued , but unimportant meta such as
mtime and ctime update can be ignored when a file is overwritten.

-