Greetings,

I'm trying to compare the performance of the various compression options in f2fs versus the default settings, on an SD card.

Here's what I'm doing:

 * Creating the filesystem:
   mkfs.f2fs -f -l data -O compression,extra_attr /dev/mmcblk0p3
 * Mounting the filesystem:
   mount -o compress_algorithm=zstd:22 /dev/mmcblk0p3 /mnt/data

I'm running the tests on the Beaglebone Black board with a single-core 1GHz ARM CPU, using Linux 6.3.6. I'm using mkfs.f2fs 1.15.0 (2022-05-13), built by Buildroot.

However, I see no significant difference in terms of disk usage, read and write time, typically when I write and read an ARM root filesystem (from the Raspberry Pi Lite distro), compared to creating and mounting the filesystem with no special options. On Btrfs, the differences between compression options are really important.

I chose zstd:22 because I expected it to be the slowest choice in terms of compression. I'm expecting all files to be compressed (if they are compressible) by default.

Am I missing anything?

Thanks in advance,

Michael.

--