Hi,

Thanks for your answer.
I found the behaviour very suspicious so I tried another client machine. To my suprise it booted immediated and completed the installation, and the grub menu came up on reboot.
It didn't boot though, but guess I have to install a kernel to get any further.
At least these problems gave me a insight of FAI internals through the debugging process.
Will try your debugging tips the next time.

Regards
Bjørn Kastnes

Holger Levsen wrote:

Hi,

This is an followup on my posting "Reboots after partitioning".

I investigated the problem a bit further and found that the first call mke2fs never returns, instead the machine reboots. The call to mke2fs looks like this:
mke2fs -q -c /dev/sda1

can you run this command on another console on the client e.g. switch with alt+f2 to another console, run the command. What happens ?

My software:
fai 2.5.4
fai-kernels 1.6 i386
kernel 2.4.24
debian stable with updates

My setup is using PXE-boot, and the partitioning is defined as follows

disk_config sda

primary /fai-boot 16 rw,errors=remount-ro ; -j ext3 -c
primary / 512 rw,errors=remount-ro ; -j ext3 -c
logical swap 1024 logical /var 2024 rw ; -m 5 -j ext3
logical /usr 4096 rw ; -j ext3
logical /usr/local 4096 rw ; -j ext3
logical /tmp 512 rw,nosuid ; -j ext3 -m 1
logical /home 2096 rw,nosuid ; -j ext3 -m 0
logical /files/scratch 0- rw,nosuid ; -j ext3 -i 50000 -m 1

Any suggestions ?

Turn debugging on and post the results ;) FAI_FLASGS=verbose,debug,createvt

Turn debugging on in NFSROOT/sbin/setup_harddisks
(/usr/lib/fai/sbin/setup_harddisks).

regards, Holger

Regards
Bjørn Kastnes