Michael Tautschnig wrote:
[...]
At this point it boots to an '(initramfs)' prompt without the long timeout.

/live.log says (something like):
mount: Mounting root filesystem on /root failed: No such device

/root has nothing in it or mounted on it.
/live/image/live/filesystem.dir/ has what I expect as the 'root' filesystem (with etc bin lib var dev ... and so forth).

Any suggestions?

Did you add the boot=live option to your kernel command line? Did you remove the
/dev/ram0 thingy? Anyway, it might be helpful to post (the relevant part of)
your menu.lst.

If the command line is correct already, the unionfs modules are likely to be
missing in your initrd. Could that be the case?

Attached is a snippet of our menu.lst. As you can see, we've added boot=live and removed /dev/ram0.

How would I tell if the unionfs modules are in the initrd? With FAI 3.1 we built our own kernel and FAI (mkinitrd-cd) built the initrd it needed. That kernel package won't work for FAI 3.2.4 (no pre-built initrd). So, we called out the stock debian linux-image-2.6.22-3-686 package.

Does it's initrd contain the unionfs modules?
How am I supposed to know?
If not, am I now required to build my own kernel package for fai?
If so, why did fai-kernel go away?

I'm finding this a little frustrating.
# grub menu.lst for fai-cd

title Install
kernel /boot/vmlinuz boot=live FAI_FLAGS="debug,verbose,createvt,reboot"
FAI_ACTION=install ip=192.168.0.1:::::eth0:off hostname=install
initrd /boot/initrd.img

Antwort per Email an