Hi Henning!

> but on an already
> basic-installed system, I'd simply run fai softupdate.

But the basic-installed systems wasn't installed using FAI. It needs an entirely new partitioning of the hard disk, it might have an entirely different kernel than what we want to install, it might not even be Debian yet.

> Wasn't kexec some system
> for changing the running kernel without reboot?

Yes, it is!

Regards,
Torsten

Henning Sprang schrieb:
Torsten Schlabach wrote:
We get servers which have some random Linux image on them. We don't have
physical access to those servers and we cannot modify and DHCP settings.
So no PXE based install, no USB stick install, etc.

I might not fully understand your case, but on an already
basic-installed system, I'd simply run fai softupdate.

Wasn't kexec some system for changing the running kernel without reboot?

Henning

Antwort per Email an